HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

As a non-local, my take is: this place has some sort of fireworks fetish. Where else in the world would over 100k people gather just to watch them for 15 minutes on a summer Saturday, and spend an hour or more commuting each way in the process? :sleep: If that's the highlight of summer here, we've got no business saying there's nothing to do in Regina.

A friend and I nearly got hit by fireworks downtown last year by some idiot launching them from near the Van Art Gallery. Damn fool shot one straight across Robson, no more than 10 ft off the ground.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:If that's the highlight of summer here, we've got no business saying there's nothing to do in Regina.
:whs:

Maybe we Ontario folk are either too boring not to like the fireworks thing, or too imaginative because we found much better things to do.
MacNews
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:...Where else in the world would over 100k people gather just to watch them for 15 minutes on a summer Saturday, and spend an hour or more commuting each way in the process? :sleep:...
It is my understanding that fireworks festivals are quite popular the world over. You should check them out next summer, they are quite fun, especially with the 'fireworks' on Canada Day being little more than sparklers. 8)
pinkfreud

CatsEyes wrote:OK, maybe you folks who were born and raised in BC can answer this for me. Why is Hallowe'en a firecracker day here? Where I grew up, firecrackers and fireworks were just on Canada Day. When I moved out here 12 years ago, I noticed that practically every holiday calls for fireworks. What gives?? :? :?

PS: Reason I ask is, some moron threw a firecracker out his apartment window last night (look at a calendar, buddy? :roll: ) and came within inches of hitting my car. :x Fortunately, I saw where it came from, and hopefully he got a visit from his friendly neighbourhood law enforcement officers. Not counting on it, but I feel better for having called them anyway.
Funny, my husband is from PEI and he was asking the same thing last night - "What's the fascination with fireworks here?" I have no idea - did they originate in Asia (stronger Asian influence here)? Of course, back there he says they used to light bails of hay and tires on fire in the middle of the road on Halloween.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote: Maybe we Ontario folk are either too boring not to like the fireworks thing, or too imaginative because we found much better things to do.
They're huge back there.... watcha talkin' about?
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Kids just love blowin' things up. Living here in the land of plenty, we're all just big kids.

Why does the "Flame" light his head on fire wearing rider colours? Why is there fireworks on top of goal posts after touchdowns? Why o' why did we invent matches?

I had a pretty big fireworks show just out my window here last night.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:It is my understanding that fireworks festivals are quite popular the world over. You should check them out next summer, they are quite fun, especially with the 'fireworks' on Canada Day being little more than sparklers. 8)
Already have, MN -- sorry, they just don't do much for me... even without the low signal-to-noise-ratio on event time to prep time, when you've seen one, you've seen 'em all, imho...
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Charlene

I have a sugar hangover.

I barely heard any fireworks last night. They are banned in Abbotsford :roll:
Rammer
Team Captain

MrsLFITQ wrote:Halloween is mostly great. I get to stay home and give out the treats while LFitQ takes our oldest "trick or reetin" (her pronounciation not his :lol: )

So far hectic night, I've had over 160 kids now and had 1 of 4 pumpkins stolen :bawl: . I put pumpkins out at 5pm and at 5:30 noticed one was missing :x No problems with the rest of the decorations
We ended up the night with about 140 kids, and I thought we had alot, but our pumpkin wasn't stolen either. Coquitlam put a ban on fireworks unless you have a radius of 30 feet for launching them into the air, knowing that perhaps 10 places in the City qualify with that restriction. However, I did notice about half the amount of fireworks going off around the neighbourhood as compared to last year still.

Fireworks are for the kids, remember the first time you saw those colours in the dark sky, awesome. It gives us all a time to gasp together as they splash across the nightline.
Entertainment value = an all time low
hexx

if fireworks were legal all year round, it'd be no big deal...
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

In my Coquitlam neighbourhood, the fireworks didn't really start until AFTER midnight which is annoying as it disturbs our dog and kept me awake on and off when he'd respond by growling.

There didn't seem to the usual large gathering down the street at that idiotic 711 in the Westwood Plateau but that was the direction of the fireworks as usual.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote:
Solar Max wrote: Maybe we Ontario folk are either too boring not to like the fireworks thing, or too imaginative because we found much better things to do.
They're huge back there.... watcha talkin' about?
Yeah they're huge, but on Canada Day, which is understandable. But I don't get the Hallowe'en thing. I think pinkfreud's hubby's theory is pretty close to the mark.
Real women wear orange!!
Charlene

You know how when you're hungover and you're supposed to drink a beer or two in the morning to feel better?

Well i'm eating more candy to make my sugar hangover go away.

Is that bad?

:lol:
pinkfreud

Charlene wrote:You know how when you're hungover and you're supposed to drink a beer or two in the morning to feel better?

Is that bad?

Only if you're diabetic. Boy, you better stabilize that blood sugar before Saturday's game or you're going to be lashing out at the nearest Roughrider fan.

CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Charlene wrote:You know how when you're hungover and you're supposed to drink a beer or two in the morning to feel better?

Is that bad?

Nope!

Real women wear orange!!