Yikes! Lions 2024 potential free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

I certainly don't mind the Leos expressing interest in Streveler because it drives up the price a bit for the Bombers. :roar:

But realistically, I think I would rather put a different experienced (slightly less expensive and lower profile) pivot behind VA given our reluctance to switch QBs. Last thing we need is a disgruntled back-up because he's not getting enough reps. Either Dolegala or Cornelius make sense to me, depending on how things shake out.

I believe Cornelius would be a cheaper option and I think he would thrive in a better system here in B.C.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
don corleone
Starter

Cornelius is an intriguing prospect. I believe it was a reluctant Chris Jones that gave up on him but Bethel-Thompson is a good player as well. Two or three years from now some may look back and question the move. Also played ahead of Dru Brown at OSU which keeps me wondering. I agree that Cornelius would be a good choice with potential.

Dogs breakfast amongst the rest of the candidates. Matt Shiltz ranked as high as any.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'm sticking with I don't see Streveler back in the CFL and that includes the Bombers who have Collaros and Dakota Prukop still. I took that story that included advice to Rourke as CS actually not uncomfortable with the vagabond life he's had in the NFL and if. they ask him, he's coming. Some players will take less to stay put and others are fine moving around. CS might be the latter.

It's my view that since Chris Streveler left that door is shut with the current thinking there. The Bombers not only let Prukop leave it was clear he'd be welcomed back (and was) so maybe he's now likely their no. 2 and they want a 3rd guy for development purposes and 3rd down not a Streveler who they can't afford and who wants more. This is not based on anything but speculation.

Turns out Hambone and Dave Naylor are taking the same view of off season bonuses IIRC:

Dave Naylor
@TSNDaveNaylor
A primer on why so many off-season bonuses go un-paid in the
@CFL
. The reason this happens is the agents ask for mid-January bonuses to force the teams to show their hand if they are committed to their client. If the team pays the bonus the player knows he is valued.
7:56 PM · Jan 18, 2024
·
Views

While Hambone and Dave Naylor take the view that if paid the team is still in love with the player, I still can't let go of my view that if they didn't have to spend that money on that guyin many cases they'd still be in love. I always felt that with Wally's decisions on bonuses like that. The old Wally was also of the mind to let go of a player before his Best Before date in case the guy can't play at that level any more.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Qman
Champion

DanoT wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:22 am
Wouldn't Strevler make more money and be a starter in the USFL vs a CFL backup?
Max salary in xfl/usfl is 50k

Cfl back up 150. Streveler 1b backup 200+
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:16 pm
While Hambone and Dave Naylor take the view that if paid the team is still in love with the player, I still can't let go of my view that if they didn't have to spend that money on that guyin many cases they'd still be in love. I always felt that with Wally's decisions on bonuses like that. The old Wally was also of the mind to let go of a player before his Best Before date in case the guy can't play at that level any more.
I don't think it's quite that simple. If GMs didn't have to deal with those Jan & Feb roster bonus they could go all out in free agency. They could pursue anybody and everybody knowing if they land them it costs them nothing to cut their guy the "once loved". Faced with having to pay a roster bonus before free agency they have to make a decision; commit to the guy by paying it with that amount of money being deducted from their cap or let him go. Using Rhymes as an example there was an SMS implications to keep him. They released him. Without that bonus they could keep him and go shopping for a potential replacement in free agency. Then sometime after free agency and on right thru training camp the could cut him having not spent a dime of their SMS.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:58 pm
Interesting what will happen with Streveler. If he comes back north he probably is looking for the shortest path to competing for starter. Most seem to think Winnipeg is the most likely destination. However Collaros still has 2 more years on his deal. There won't an opening for a starter in Winnipeg until 2026 at earliest. The Brown trade combined with the others they have (Crum, Adams, Masoli, Pigrome and Dunniway) says there's nothing in Ottawa for Streveler. There is no place in the CFL who can offer him a situation to compete to start in 2024. A Dane Evans type contract is the best he could hope for but would that be enough for him?

Calgary? Maier has been their starter for a couple of seasons now but I don't see him accomplishing much. Phillips has potential but needs development.

Hamilton? I'm not convinced BLM will make it through one more season. Shiltz is a career backup. For Powell, see Phillips.
don corleone
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:38 pm
I don't think it's quite that simple. If GMs didn't have to deal with those Jan & Feb roster bonus they could go all out in free agency. They could pursue anybody and everybody knowing if they land them it costs them nothing to cut their guy the "once loved". Faced with having to pay a roster bonus before free agency they have to make a decision; commit to the guy by paying it with that amount of money being deducted from their cap or let him go. Using Rhymes as an example there was an SMS implications to keep him. They released him. Without that bonus they could keep him and go shopping for a potential replacement in free agency. Then sometime after free agency and on right thru training camp the could cut him having not spent a dime of their SMS.
Alternatively the CFL could recognize and honour the contracts they sign with the players forcing GMs to become prudent managers of the sms rather than the drunken sailors they sometime appear to be. That is when you will see good GMs rise to the top. Guys that make constant mistakes will not survive.

It's a feel good moment to sign a multi year deal but it's hard for me to have faith that if Alex Hollins does not have a big year he will see the second year of his deal.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The tight operating margins in the CFL already require GMs to be prudent managers of the SMS. Players know they have to produce to be paid. I much prefer the football system over that of other sports, where teams are often burdened with fulfilling bad contracts long after the player’s value has diminished.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:21 pm
Hambone wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:58 pm
Interesting what will happen with Streveler. If he comes back north he probably is looking for the shortest path to competing for starter. Most seem to think Winnipeg is the most likely destination. However Collaros still has 2 more years on his deal. There won't an opening for a starter in Winnipeg until 2026 at earliest. The Brown trade combined with the others they have (Crum, Adams, Masoli, Pigrome and Dunniway) says there's nothing in Ottawa for Streveler. There is no place in the CFL who can offer him a situation to compete to start in 2024. A Dane Evans type contract is the best he could hope for but would that be enough for him?

Calgary? Maier has been their starter for a couple of seasons now but I don't see him accomplishing much. Phillips has potential but needs development.

Hamilton? I'm not convinced BLM will make it through one more season. Shiltz is a career backup. For Powell, see Phillips.
Maier has been their declared starter for 1 season while being Mitchell's #2 for 2 years getting significant playing time while Bo struggled with injuries. They seem still committed to him. He seemed to take a step back last year but that isn't unusual. A lot of young QBs who showed well as backups where there is far less pressure on them then struggle a bit when the pressures of being the franchise guy are placed on their shoulders. I have no idea who you're talking about re: Phillips.

They could consider Streveler but I doubt in an open competition. It would still be Maier's job to lose and also depend on what they think they have in Logan Bonner. They might already have their own Streveler in Tommy Stevens.

Hamilton definitely believes they have something in Taylor Powell who started 9 games for them last year. For a raw rookie QB who started the season as #3 he acquitted himself very well. Again I have no clue who Phillips is so no idea what the comparison is about.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:50 am
Hambone wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:38 pm
Alternatively the CFL could recognize and honour the contracts they sign with the players forcing GMs to become prudent managers of the sms rather than the drunken sailors they ometime appear to be. That is when you will see good GMs rise to the top. Guys that make constant mistakes will not survive.

It's a feel good moment to sign a multi year deal but it's hard for me to have faith that if Alex Hollins does not have a big year he will see the second year of his deal.
The only guarantee is that totally guaranteed contracts will never happen and would quickly be despised by fans once they realize they too are stuck with any mistakes or badly underperforming players or maybe rookies who performed well in camp and preseason before hitting a wall early in the season. Fans for years have lamented the one year contracts. Introducing fully guaranteed contracts will only discourage GMs to making anything more than a 1 year commitment. That would accelerate player turnover which has been arguably the top pet peeve of CFL fans.
Last edited by Hambone on Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
don corleone
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:42 am
Totally guaranteed contracts will never happen and would quickly be despised by fans once they realize they too are stuck with any mistakes or badly underperforming players or maybe rookies who performed well in camp and preseason before hitting a wall early in the season. Fans for years have lamented the one year contracts. Introduce full guaranteed contracts will only discourage GMs to making anything more than a 1 year commitment. That would accelerate player turnover which has been arguably the top pet peeve of CFL fans.
Saving grace is they all play the same game.

Sticking to the rules at the administrative level should not be a difficult thing.

In the famous words of Darian Durant "there are always ways to circumvent the salary cap".
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:52 pm
Hambone wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:42 am
Totally guaranteed contracts will never happen and would quickly be despised by fans once they realize they too are stuck with any mistakes or badly underperforming players or maybe rookies who performed well in camp and preseason before hitting a wall early in the season. Fans for years have lamented the one year contracts. Introduce full guaranteed contracts will only discourage GMs to making anything more than a 1 year commitment. That would accelerate player turnover which has been arguably the top pet peeve of CFL fans.
Saving grace is they all play the same game.

Sticking to the rules at the administrative level should not be a difficult thing.

In the famous words of Darian Durant "there are always ways to circumvent the salary cap".
I don't know how you could administer such a process. Every player who attends training camp is under contract. Does that mean all 90 are guaranteed? A team starts the season with 46 players on the active roster under contract.and 10 on the PR under a Practice Roster Agreement. Lose a couple guys to injury or want to make a change? The guy coming off the practice squad is now under a standard players contract
I guess that means they're guaranteed too? When the injured guy returns now there are 2 players under guaranteed contract for the same roster spot. Never mind the offseason during the season most teams will have between 60 and 85 players play at least 1 game meaning they were under contract. Should the team have to honour every one?
maxlion
Legend

Streveler would be an intriguing possibility for every team. But not every team would be intriguing to him. Then there is the related question of whether he would be a capable starting QB. Most running QBs eventually settle into becoming pocket passers in order to reduce the risk of injury. But that isn't Streveler's strength.

I guess that most teams that want Streveler would want him as a change of pace type QB to insert into games at certain points, not as a starter. Winnipeg did that really well when he was there. Streveler needs an offensive system that can utilize his strengths, like Buck Pierce did in Winnipeg.

I'm not sure that this is Maksymic's style, but maybe he just needs to have the weapon to bring out that game. Dane Evans mentioned wanting to play under Maksymic. Maybe that would appeal to Streveler too?

Hamilton probably presents the best opportunity to win a starting job in terms of QB depth but, like with Maksymic, I wonder if Streveler is Milanovich's style of player. Milanovich seems to like the dink and dunk ball control passing game. Can Streveler play that game?

I think Dickinson in Calgary could utilize Streveler well. Maybe also the new OC in Sask.

If I were to guess, I think he will end up back in Winnipeg, with Calgary a runner up (should he return to the CFL at all). I think BC is a longshot. It would be fun to see him play here though.
don corleone
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:57 pm
I don't know how you could administer such a process. Every player who attends training camp is under contract. Does that mean all 90 are guaranteed? A team starts the season with 46 players on the active roster under contract.and 10 on the PR under a Practice Roster Agreement. Lose a couple guys to injury or want to make a change? The guy coming off the practice squad is now under a standard players contract
I guess that means they're guaranteed too? When the injured guy returns now there are 2 players under guaranteed contract for the same roster spot. Never mind the offseason during the season most teams will have between 60 and 85 players play at least 1 game meaning they were under contract. Should the team have to honour every one?
100% respect your position on the matter.

In rebuttal I might say that other sports and leagues have found ways to deal with some of the issues you raise. I will stand by my position that eliminating underperforming executives would improve the quality of the game over time.

I'm a bit old skool and prefer a nod and a handshake to any agreement I make and truthfully have had a hard time in the past with rules that apply to me but not to others. I just think the CFL could do better in handling the relationship with the players that would reflect in a more positive manner with the fan base that in return would benefit the league. The ingredients are there imo.

Win / Win / Win is the dream with 10% now going to Genius Sports.
don corleone
Starter

Hearing Jordan Ta'amu will not be playing in the UFL. Wondering if he might not be a fit for Lion's #2.