Final Cuts - BC included

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:37 am
B.C. Lions sign former Riders’ running back Kienan LaFrance

Last season, the 32-year-old recorded nine carries for 39 yards, five receptions for 28 yards, and four special teams tackles.
I'm not sure which move surprised me move; trading Kongbo or signing LaFrance. Having said that BC was surprisingly thin with running options with only Mizzell and Mackie on the active roster and Williams and St.Pierre on the PR. St.Pierre was used more as a receiver than runner in college.

LaFrance has become mostly a special teams player who once in a while gets drawn in for some reps on offense. Of those 2022 stats 6 of 9 carries and 3 of 4 catches came in a Wk 17 tilt when the Riders had to start LaFrance at tailback because Morrow and Hickson were both out. So thin were they at tailback the KR Mario Alford who is a receiver by trade was listed as the backup tailback and they go out and sign Shaq Cooper to be their starter for the next game.

The apex of LaFrance's career may well have been his stunning playoff performance for Ottawa way back in 2016. As for regular season it came in 2017 with the Riders when he had 68 carries and 14 catches for 396 yards in total offense. In his second stint with the Riders from 2019 until now he had only 18 carries and 13 catches for 182 yards in total offense over 33 games.

Overall a meh signing that nonetheless still fits a need for someone to be play some special teams and be a "break glass in case of emergency" mid-game option on offense.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Maybe Keena LaFrance is being brought in more for his ST play and leadership in that regard than anything to do with RB.

And on that note, why is Mike Benevides called an ST Consultant and not Co-ordinator?

Is this as DON YANOWSKY might come back and is still ST C?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:38 pm
Maybe Keena LaFrance is being brought in more for his ST play and leadership in that regard than anything to do with RB.

And on that note, why is Mike Benevides called an ST Consultant and not Co-ordinator?

I believe Yanowski's absence is being treated as a personal leave. He is not expected back this year but is expected to return to his current position next year. I'm sure Benevides will be paid as a DC this year and will work accordingly.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:42 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:

I believe Yanowski's absence is being treated as a personal leave. He is not expected back this year but is expected to return to his current position next year. I'm sure Benevides will be paid as a DC this year and will work accordingly.
I read it that way too. If Benevides was replacing Yanowsky permanently then Mike would get the title. Yanowsky may never return but for now is still considered to be the STC albeit on leave. Giving Benevides a different title is respecting that.
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:26 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:42 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:

I read it that way too. If Benevides was replacing Yanowsky permanently then Mike would get the title. Yanowsky may never return but for now is still considered to be the STC albeit on leave. Giving Benevides a different title is respecting that.
Usually when your title has advisor in it. You’re double dipping. (Ie. you were fired but still getting paid out). Milanovich has that going on in Hamilton, he has checks still coming from Indianapolis
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:06 pm
It's a moot point now, but did anyone ever discover if it was a case of Tanner Doll wanting to move on elsewhere, or if the Lions didn't want him for whatever reasons?
Maybe we should no longer question this. On his 2nd snap of the season on an Ottawa punt attempt Doll sent a 4 or 5 hop ground ball back to Leone who couldn't field it cleanly and had to drop on it inside the Ottawa 10.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Noah Zerr has resurfaced in Hamilton where they are experiencing a combination of injury woes and poor OL play. They started the season with 2 starters on the 6G in Van Zeyl and Fontana and added another in Saxelid to the 6G after Week 1. A 4th, Woodmansey, was injured during their loss to Toronto on Sunday forcing them to get DT Casey Sayles to switch over to OL to finish the game. If Woodmansey is out too they were down to 3 healthy NAT OL including 2023 draft pick Dayton Black.

https://3downnation.com/2023/06/20/hami ... -troubles/

To add to their woes Joel Figueroa has not been playing up to expectations.

Joel Figueroa, a big-money signing in the off-season, isn’t playing like one of the league’s highest-paid players at his position. His addition was supposed to solve Hamilton’s revolving door at left tackle and he has been just as ineffective as all the players who have come before him the last few seasons.

https://3downnation.com/2023/06/19/smok ... argonauts/
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Interesting bit there on Figueroa. I saw him get beat badly by Orimolade in Sunday's game for a big sack on Mitchell.

Another ex-Lion Miles Fox ended up signing with the Bombers and dressed in Friday's game against the Riders.
Former Bomber beat writer Ed Tait wrote a piece on his arrival and Fox said he immediately noticed a different culture. It must be the "culture" from being on the game roster compared to be a regular on the practice roster.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/06/19/ ... ow-week-3/