New Uni's for 2023? (update)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

maxlion
Legend

Not a fan of the "fog grey" concept. I know it rains here a lot. And water is important for life. But for a sports team, it is kind of uninspiring.
David
Team Captain

I like them, at least they're growing on me (after the shock of ANOTHER uniform change?!?).

Homes look a lot like Cleveland Browns. I do like the shoulder stripes. Could be enhanced with a little more white though. White socks instead of black, and 'white-orange-white' helmet stripes.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:34 pm
I like them, at least they're growing on me (after the shock of ANOTHER uniform change?!?).
I was almost certain it was going to be the home opener concert announcement.
And just like that black is the main home jersey again for the first time in 19 years when some guy named Casey Printers won the MOP.

I get Don Morehead and 1977 Jerry Tagge vibes with new aways.

Do feel sorry for those that bought jerseys in the past couple years that are now suddenly outdated with no real hints a major change was coming.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not rushing out to purchase one. Let's see how long this one last before another new jersey announcement.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:28 pm
Not rushing out to purchase one. Let's see how long this one last before another new jersey announcement.
Yes, I’m with you. Besides, a sea of orange in the stands looks a lot better on TV and in person than a sea of dull black that could simply represent most people’s winter clothing.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

I really dont think anyone who bought a jersey in the last few years should be upset. I still wear my orange jersey from the 2012 Lulay era and it doesn't bother me. It's still a Lions jersey from some period. I actually like having a variety of different era jerseys. But I never did buy the most recent one because I always felt New Era would create a new one, since when they took over it was only a slight modification from what they had before.
I like the fog ones the best out of the two. Looking forward to how they look on the field.
David
Team Captain

For those crying out for more orange, a slight modification on the 'homes' can be easily achieved as a 3rd, making the jersey orange with black numbers and stripes on the shoulder.

Wouldn't mind seeing the grey pants at home sometime as a 'mix and match.' At least now we finally avoid orange pants. Good riddance!

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The only thing I dislike in all pro sports - and maybe it's my eyesight at my age - is clashes of red and orange like BC at Calgary. Optically watching a football or hockey game it makes me think how the leagues don't want it more decisively clear.

I've always thought the Lions jersey even from 1954 were the best in the CFL and like others a few diversions didn't do it.

The third jersey where the numbers weren't clear suggests a triumph of someone's design over functionality where even game day announcers admitted it was tough picking out names in the action of the play.

Not sure if changes add to marketing ability or not BUT you can't annoy your loyal fan base who fork out the big dollars and then get turned off if they feel their jersey looks redundant.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

Note from this morning: Amar Doman mentioned on the "Donnie and Dhali" show that the club will play select games this season in their gunmetal 3rds.

I kind of wondered whether they would, since the new home uniform is a not-too-distant cousin of the gunmetal 3rds.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:44 am
Note from this morning: Amar Doman mentioned on the "Donnie and Dhali" show that the club will play select games this season in their gunmetal 3rds.

I kind of wondered whether they would, since the new home uniform is a not-too-distant cousin of the gunmetal 3rds.

AARGH! The only thing worse than imitating the boring orange on black look of the Cleveland Browns is the illegible black on black gunmetals. The least the Lions could do to honour tradition and appease longtime fans is to keep last year's orange home look as a third jersey.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

MacNews wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:18 am
I'm sure there will be a third jersey surprise during a home game.
Not this year or next. 3rd jerseys are great sales boosters once most of the market already owns the regular ones. Once everybody has been there, done that, bought the t-shirt so to speak they will look at introducing a 3rd. Minimum 3 years before that happens.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:14 pm
MacNews wrote:
Not this year or next. 3rd jerseys are great sales boosters once most of the market already owns the regular ones. Once everybody has been there, done that, bought the t-shirt so to speak they will look at introducing a 3rd. Minimum 3 years before that happens.
Confirmed by Doman today. He said last year’s 3rds will be worn on ocassion this coming season. Added these jerseys have been in the works since he purchased the club. His vision all along.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:01 pm
Hambone wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:14 pm
MacNews wrote:
Confirmed by Doman today. He said last year’s 3rds will be worn on ocassion this coming season. Added these jerseys have been in the works since he purchased the club. His vision all along.
Although a Rider fan over on RF did suggest they roll out an orange 3rd for the Orange Shirt Day theme night game vs the Riders Sept 29.

I don't see them doing that to introduce a 3rd. However if memory serves me right the gun metal ones they wore last year were only worn once then auctioned off without producing any replicas for resale. They could do similar with a special Orange Shirt Day jersey; wear them once and auction them off with proceeds going to a related charity.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

This new owner stepped up. Ill step up. Nuff said. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
almo89
Legend

Still rather have orange as a primary colour, but they still look sharp. The road greys are great. I would love to see the stripe come back on the helmet and also the orange cage on the helmet. I loved it when the Lions wore those 3rds around the late 2000s and they had the orange cage. If they are adamant about going for the blackout look, the orange cage would be purrfect to bring out more of that colour.