Who will be moving on?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

OV:54-40
Starter

cromartie wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:57 am
Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:29 pm
I sort of hoped that BC would sign a QB who might compete for #1 rather than just give the job to Vernon Adams.

I'm not sold that this offense fits Adams either.

Maybe they'll luck out like other teams and find a back up who can eventually be a starter.

I feel bad for Michael O' Connor if he's gone but at the same time felt he played too deliberately slow to be effective. I'd say that was coachable but not sure how much QB coaching there is with the Lions these days.

https://www.cfl.ca/players/dominique-davis/157778/
O'Connor has enough tape now to show you that his decision making abilities are too limited to sustainably play QB at this level.

Adams is a fine #1 within a specific offense, and that specific offense is the chunk play driven type that our Head Coach prefers to play. The offense will change to fit Adams and with a full season he should be a more than adequate #1. Cup winner? No, not out of the west, but you let that guy go to Jacksonville, so buckle up.

And the Lions just apparently agreed to terms with a QB whose CFL "tape" suggests he couldn't QB a local HS ball team in comparison to O'Connor (just FYI in case u had not seen Dom Davis play QB in the CFL before - believe it was 3 straight picks I saw him throw in Ottawa once). O'Connor's passport is what gets his "tape" graded somehow by some.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Farhan reporting BC has come to terms with Couture. That’s big. Wonder what they do with Godber now?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have signed Sukh Chungh to an extension through 2024.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Interesting. I forgotten that Michael Couture was a Burnaby boy, and played up at Simon Fraser. Yes, he and Godber both play centre, and so that may raise questions re Godber's future, however, it's been noted that Couture has played several different positions along the O-line over the span of his career since 2016. So not sure what the plan is with this. Perhaps Godber stays.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

OV:54-40 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:44 am
So if Nathan Rourke had received no NFL interest, and asked to be traded to Toronto so he could hang-out with old HS buddies or pursue some business interest, would the Lions have been forced to accomodate him ?
Not sure what that has to do with Williams. Scuttlebutt is he was planning on moving back east when he became an FA in 2024. Whether he made that known to Lions brass is unknown. If he did that may have played a role in this deal.

In the meantime unless some of Williams HS buddies moved from NC to Toronto since graduating he has no connections to Toronto other than his mother's birth certificate. He was born, raised, played HS and all his college ball in North Carolina. It could well be that he had never stepped foot in Canada until he showed up at Ottawa's TC in 2019.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:54 pm
Interesting. I forgotten that Michael Couture was a Burnaby boy, and played up at Simon Fraser. Yes, he and Godber both play centre, and so that may raise questions re Godber's future, however, it's been noted that Couture has played several different positions along the O-line over the span of his career since 2016. So not sure what the plan is with this. Perhaps Godber stays.
Valid questions. Are they looking at Couture to replace Godber at C or could they be looking at one to play LG and the other C? I still think odds are good they will let Figs go. Seems there would be a logjam inside with Couture, Chungh, Knevel, Peirson, Zerr and Godber unless they are considering Knevel at tackle. Obviously theybare high on Broxton too given they've kept him around for 2 years and he filled in for Figs when he's been dinged up. Definitely looks like jack of all trades Phil Norman is in tough.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:43 am
He was not going to re-sign here. Extensions for his draft class usually happen before Xmas. Writing was on the wall when that did not happened. If it was salary or playing time, don’t know.

Got something for him.
Rumours are he wanted to go back east when his current deal expires in 2024. Otherwise draft class means squat. He was drafted in 2020 but didn't sign until early 2021. He is just entering the 3rd year of his CBA mandated 3 year deal. Extensions happen when they happen and so far things seem to be vague as to whether a team can rip up the 3rd year of that 1st contract and sign them to a new deal.
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:11 pm
So if Nathan Rourke had received no NFL interest, and asked to be traded to Toronto so he could hang-out with old HS buddies or pursue some business interest, would the Lions have been forced to accomodate him ?
Not sure what that has to do with Williams. Scuttlebutt is he was planning on moving back east when he became an FA in 2024. Whether he made that known to Lions brass is unknown. If he did that may have played a role in this deal.

In the meantime unless some of Williams HS buddies moved from NC to Toronto since graduating he has no connections to Toronto other than his mother's birth certificate. He was born, raised, played HS and all his college ball in North Carolina. It could well be that he had never stepped foot in Canada until he showed up at Ottawa's TC in 2019.

If Farrhan or whoever want to rationalize the Willams to Toronto deal as simply a matter of well, he just wanted to go out East, then I think the same thing could be said about Nathan Rourke if he had let it known he would (assuming no NFL interest) prefer to be near his Ontario HS stomping grounds. Team throws it hands up and says - oh well, nothing we can do about it, so let's get something for him in a trade deal.
David
Team Captain

Total sidebar, but I believe there were some issues with Williams on Special Teams, no? Didn't he struggle a bit in this area in 2022?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:29 pm
Hambone wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:11 pm

If Farrhan or whoever want to rationalize the Willams to Toronto deal as simply a matter of well, he just wanted to go out East, then I think the same thing could be said about Nathan Rourke if he had let it known he would (assuming no NFL interest) prefer to be near his Ontario HS stomping grounds. Team throws it hands up and says - oh well, nothing we can do about it, so let's get something for him in a trade deal.
I said "the scuttlebutt is" and it might play a part IF he's advised BC brass of that desire. No idea if any of that is fact. But hey they have Tyler Varga whose CanWest award proves he's instantly ready to start if Hladik or Lokombo go down so Williams is totally expendable. At this point none of us know if BC was actively shopping him of it was the Argos calling to see what it would take to get him.

As for Rourke I suppose they'd have to succumb to that since they couldn't trade the lifelong BC Lion fan to Alabama to hang out with his HS grad class.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:20 pm
Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:54 pm
Valid questions. Are they looking at Couture to replace Godber at C or could they be looking at one to play LG and the other C? I still think odds are good they will let Figs go. Seems there would be a logjam inside with Couture, Chungh, Knevel, Peirson, Zerr and Godber unless they are considering Knevel at tackle. Obviously theybare high on Broxton too given they've kept him around for 2 years and he filled in for Figs when he's been dinged up. Definitely looks like jack of all trades Phil Norman is in tough.
It's pretty clear with Couture, Chungh, Knevel, Peirson and Zerr under contract that the Lions plan to start at least three national O-linemen this year. None of those players can be put on the practice roster. Godber may be the odd man out. I thought he had a strong season last year. He and Phil Norman split first-team reps equally in training camp, with Godber ultimately winning the position.

I think the Lions were happy with Jarell Broxton's play at both guard and tackle last year. He has the inside track to replace Joel Figueroa at left tackle if the Lions want to get younger and cheaper. Norman has been valuable as a utility lineman who can fill in at any position but he hasn't won a starting position outright, and was cut and brought back at least once.
Starter

Couture, Chungh & Knevel as the interior 3 starters with Pierson & Zerr as low cost depth guys, would make Godber the odd man out? The green Riders are supposedly desperate for O-Line upgrades so maybe they would welcome Godber? Not sure there's another CFL team with as pressing C or interior O-Line need to pay Godber starting buck$ ?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:42 pm

It's pretty clear with Couture, Chungh, Knevel, Peirson and Zerr under contract that the Lions plan to start at least three national O-linemen this year. None of those players can be put on the practice roster. Godber may be the odd man out. I thought he had a strong season last year. He and Phil Norman split first-team reps equally in training camp, with Godber ultimately winning the position.

I think the Lions were happy with Jarell Broxton's play at both guard and tackle last year. He has the inside track to replace Joel Figueroa at left tackle if the Lions want to get younger and cheaper. Norman has been valuable as a utility lineman who can fill in at any position but he hasn't won a starting position outright, and was cut and brought back at least once.
Agreed on all counts.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:09 pm
Couture, Chungh & Knevel as the interior 3 starters with Pierson & Zerr as low cost depth guys, would make Godber the odd man out? The green Riders are supposedly desperate for O-Line upgrades so maybe they would welcome Godber? Not sure there's another CFL team with as pressing C or interior O-Line need to pay Godber starting buck$ ?
No argument (for a change lol). And they still have Packer too. Godber definitely is odd man out. LG was Knevel's job to lose last year and he'd done nothing to lose it until the preseason shoulder injury derailed his season before it began. I will freely admit that I saw nothing beyond backup center in Peirson and was pleasantly surprised in how he acquitted himself with his starts at LG. Knevel at LG, Couture at C, Chungh at RG with Peirson, Zerr and Packer for depth seems solid. They will no doubt keep another American tackle on the PR for depth. In case of ingame injury to a tackle Knevel can kick out with Peirson or Zerr (if dressed) backfilling.

As for Godber and starting roles options might be few but there are other teams in need of depth at C and G. I believe he was primarily a G at Rice. As a backup NAT OL with 2 years starter experience he will still command better money than some American starters.
Last edited by Hambone on Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:30 pm
Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:09 pm
No argument (for a change lol). And they still have Packer too. Godber definitely is odd man out. LG was Knevel's job to lose last year and he'd done nothing to lose it until the preseason shoulder injury derailed his season before it began. I will freely admit that I saw nothing beyond backup center in Peirson and was pleasantly surprised in how he acquitted himself with his starts at LG. Knevel at LG, Couture at C, Chungh at RG with Peirson, Zerr and Packer for depth seems solid. They will no doubt keep another American tackle on the PR for depth. In case of ingame injury to a tackle Knevel can kick out with Peirson or Zerr (if dressed) backfilling.
I thought Godber was very solid at C, and wondering if Couture is any better or will be cheaper ?

And with that Canadian O-Line depth in place, it likely negates the CFL good old way of draft another O-lineman for good ole "depth" purposes - so they go elsewhere with the 1st round pick they just got from the Argos ?