Who will be moving on?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

OV:54-40 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:02 pm
Lions also should have last year's draft pick LB Ryder Varga - CanWest all-star with the size to play W or MLB; so if they like him, cushions the blow of losing Williams
Sure. Let's dump a former 1st overall pick and CFL Most Outstanding Rookie ( 4th NAT in last 30 yeara) and go all in on a 29th overall pick to cushion the blow.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Double Post
OV:54-40
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:31 pm
Lions also should have last year's draft pick LB Ryder Varga - CanWest all-star with the size to play W or MLB; so if they like him, cushions the blow of losing Williams
Sure. Let's dump a former 1st overall pick and CFL Most Outstanding Rookie ( 4th NAT in last 30 yeara) and go all in on a 29th overall pick to cushion the blow.
You're getting a first round pick if that's what you call a dump. And Varga might be as good as Williams, who IMO should not be starting over Lokombo anyways. And in case you hadn't noticed, some picks in the mid rounds - like receivers Schaffer-Baker & Gittens - are league best range talents at their positions - smart scouts find that kind of talent in drafts - Argos caught Kevin Eiben way down the draft board back at the time. So, they're getting a 1st round pick, plus another good prospect already drafted is available to replace the guy/position, who likely wouldn't be starting, even if he is a very talented player - which Williams is IMO
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Hladik was a 3rd round pick
Lokombo was also.a 3rd round pick
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
He was not going to re-sign here. Extensions for his draft class usually happen before Xmas. Writing was on the wall when that did not happened. If it was salary or playing time, don’t know.

Got something for him.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Qman wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:43 am
Hambone wrote:
He was not going to re-sign here. Extensions for his draft class usually happen before Xmas. Writing was on the wall when that did not happened. If it was salary or playing time, don’t know.

Got something for him.
A couple things above that I am not clear on:

1. If Lions got a 1st round pick from the Argos for Williams, isn't that a 9th overall pick and not a 29th?

2. Isn't Williams on his rookie contract with the Lions, so wouldn't that make him still under contract (3rd season) for 2023. If Argos wanted to trade for a player's rights and then try to re-sign him prior to free agency, then they wouldn't make a trade with so little time left before FA starts.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

That was an eventful 24 hours. Love this time of year.
-Adams extension
-Butler seemingly destined for Hamilton
-Williams now an Argo for a 2023 1st rounder (9th overall).

Wonder if Adams extension has anything to do with FAs they are currently pursuing in that it provides cost certainty for 2024.

Always have had a feeling the Lions had a number in mind for Butler to re-sign and weren’t budging from it. Calgary’s Carey is on year 2 at $130,000 and is a better back. So my guess BC is offering around $120,000 for Butler and he wants more. Wonder what Plan B is?

Lions were never going to pay a premium in 2024 for 2 starting national linebackers so Williams made their choice by default. Timing a little odd in that you would think he would have requested a trade east at the end of last season. But he turns 29 in November and Hladik is five years younger. Good news for Lokombo and might explain his new deal.
maxlion
Legend

Wow, I can understand accommodating Williams and we do have a logjam at LB, but I am shocked that we couldn't do better than a late first. Argos are now set at LB for the next 5 years or more and, for this year at least, have an all star level Nat playing on a bargain contract. We get a pig in a poke. I don't get this trade.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:46 am
Wow, I can understand accommodating Williams and we do have a logjam at LB, but I am shocked that we couldn't do better than a late first. Argos are now set at LB for the next 5 years or more and, for this year at least, have an all star level Nat playing on a bargain contract. We get a pig in a poke. I don't get this trade.
I agree with you as I find the trade a little puzzling, unless Williams asked to be traded.
OV:54-40
Starter

DanoT wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:12 am
maxlion wrote:
I agree with you as I find the trade a little puzzling, unless Williams asked to be traded.
So if Nathan Rourke had received no NFL interest, and asked to be traded to Toronto so he could hang-out with old HS buddies or pursue some business interest, would the Lions have been forced to accomodate him ?
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:44 am
DanoT wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:12 am
maxlion wrote:
So if Nathan Rourke had received no NFL interest, and asked to be traded to Toronto so he could hang-out with old HS buddies or pursue some business interest, would the Lions have been forced to accomodate him ?
You don't want players in your locker room who don't want to be there and if you have capable replacements and depth behind them AND you know the player will be gone after 2023, maybe you grant the player's request to be traded. Word gets around, so trying to accommodate players in this manner might just help when it comes to signing free agents in the future.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

https://3downnation.com/2023/02/09/2023 ... e-linemen/

BC Lions have some OL to sign here.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
tedbear
Starter

We gave up our 1st round pick this year to get Vernon Adams, which if i am correct will be the 7th pick of the first round. We traded Williams to the Argos for a 9th round first pick this year. So it looks to me that we ended getting Adams for Williams and we flipped from a 7th round pick to a 9th round pick. Not bad IMO when you look at the overall picture.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:16 pm
It has been said before that running backs a dime a dozen. And it has also been said, and worth repeating, that the good RBs that can run inside and outside, catch, and block are a lot more scarce. IMO, Butler is one of those guys and worth every dime he gets paid. I just hope it ends up that the Lions are the ones coming up with the dimes.
Butler blocks so well we lost a QB for most of the season because of him.

Let Hamilton overpay, thanks.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:29 pm
I sort of hoped that BC would sign a QB who might compete for #1 rather than just give the job to Vernon Adams.

I'm not sold that this offense fits Adams either.

Maybe they'll luck out like other teams and find a back up who can eventually be a starter.

I feel bad for Michael O' Connor if he's gone but at the same time felt he played too deliberately slow to be effective. I'd say that was coachable but not sure how much QB coaching there is with the Lions these days.

https://www.cfl.ca/players/dominique-davis/157778/
O'Connor has enough tape now to show you that his decision making abilities are too limited to sustainably play QB at this level.

Adams is a fine #1 within a specific offense, and that specific offense is the chunk play driven type that our Head Coach prefers to play. The offense will change to fit Adams and with a full season he should be a more than adequate #1. Cup winner? No, not out of the west, but you let that guy go to Jacksonville, so buckle up.