Who will be moving on?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Qman wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:00 am
Would spend those $ on oline and dline again. Couture would solve our #1 problem area. Resign Figueroa (even though he looks ok at times - isn’t dominate anymore- still good) As well, NT again. Even edge rusher like #9 on stamps is a force
I like the idea of getting Couture but not sure what that would mean. Would it mean they are moving on from Chungh or Godber? Bring him in to play center? Bring him in to play guard? Retain Chungh and Godber and shift Godber to guard or play Couture there? What does that mean for recently extended Knevel and Peirson and last year's 12th overall draft pick Noah Zerr? Can't dress them all. Last year BC regularly dressed only 6 OL. Add Couture to the mix without moving on from one of the other 2 interior OL still unsigned and 2 have to be stashed somehow. Try to PR Zerr and the Riders would grab him in a heart beat.

Figueroa has been very solid for BC but I have wondered all off season if they like Broxton enough to move on from Figs thus freeing up some cap space.

As for NT assuming Stove Richardson is good to go it's like BC is already adding a new NT and a very good one. I don't see a need for a NT with the 5 DTs BC already has; 6 if you want to add 6'1 297 Miles Fox to the list. Stampeders #9 Florin Orimolade though is one I'd love to see them get.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

3Down is reporting that BC has agreed to terms with pending FA QB Dominique Davis. I'm not sure what that means. Is that to be Adams backup or to be a #3 short yardage situation type? For sure it means they are moving on from O'Connor or Pipkin or perhaps both.

Out of all the options for backups out there this one came out of left field for me.
squishy35
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:00 am
3Down is reporting that BC has agreed to terms with pending FA QB Dominique Davis. I'm not sure what that means. Is that to be Adams backup or to be a #3 short yardage situation type? For sure it means they are moving on from O'Connor or Pipkin or perhaps both.

Out of all the options for backups out there this one came out of left field for me.
I'm guessing that Pipkin has likely been offered a FA contract by another club (Sask? or maybe Calgary?)
David
Team Captain

Farhan confirmed on Twitter the Davis signing and that they're moving on from Pipkin and O'Connor (well, that didn't last long, did it?).

I asked Farhan if Davis is a legit upgrade on Pipkin, as I view them as interchangeable parts (competent back-ups I suppose. Not starter material as they are just as, if not more likely to throw INTs as TD passes. But both can get you yards with their feet).

Farhan replied: "Yes I believe he’s an upgrade as a backup and short yardage guy. BC will bring some young QBs in to compete for the #3 spot & to develop."

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I'm thinking Adams restructured deal played a part in this. I thought with his old deal which called for $151.5K in base and over $200K in playtime bonuses would open the door to the likes of a Dane Evans, Fajardo or until they decided to stay put Arbuckle or Shiltz to coming in on low base/high incentive deals to be #2. Adams new deal will no doubt provide hard money up into the $450K+ range which changed the math on the QB budget to where they required a low budget but experienced backup. Campbell and Adams both have history with Davis which would play a part.
maxlion
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:36 am
As a NAT and the CFL's highest paid RB in 2022 Harris will still cost a lot more than Butler who certainly deserves a large raise on his league minimum salary of $65K last year.

8 of the top 12 salaries for CFL RBs in 2022 went to NATs with only Harris and Oliviera being their club's starting tailbacks. The rest were backups or rotational backs. Last year Brendan Gillanders, who retired last month, was 8th highest paid RB at $90.5K despite averaging only 9 carries and 5.5 receptions per year over his previous 7 seasons. Keinan Lafrance was making $83.5K despite only totaling 9 carries and 8 receptions while playing all 32 regular season games the previous 2 years with the Riders.

As for Ouellette's size he and Butler are identical in size; both are listed at 5'9 with Butler being 2 pounds heavier. Hills though is 6'1 218 so 8 pounds heavier but on a 4" taller frame. For some reason I had assumed Ouellette, probably because of his name, was a Canadian but he is American.
I'm surprised the Ouellette and Butler are the same size. I thought of Ouellette as more of a power back and Butler as shiftier. I guess it is more about style than size? Or maybe I just wasn't watching carefully enough.

No doubt that NAT RBs make more, but then you can make up some of that by going import somewhere else, such as oline. I don't know that Harris is worth it, but could be an interesting option depending on his ask. Not sure that he can still handle a full load for a full season.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Harris is too much of a risk now. After being remarkably durable for so long his age and durability are now big question marks. He is still productive when playing but can't be counted on to stay healthy. He only played 8 out of 18 regular season games in 2022 and 7 out of 14 in 2021. Turning 36 in April it's a fool's errand to expect him to turn back the clock to 2018 or even anything sort of close to that.
tedbear
Starter

Lions move away from Jordan Williams trading him to the Argos for a first round pick. Williams lost his spot to Hladik last year and the Lions seemed to lose faith in him as the season wore on.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Lions are going after Sankey
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I sort of hoped that BC would sign a QB who might compete for #1 rather than just give the job to Vernon Adams.

I'm not sold that this offense fits Adams either.

Maybe they'll luck out like other teams and find a back up who can eventually be a starter.

I feel bad for Michael O' Connor if he's gone but at the same time felt he played too deliberately slow to be effective. I'd say that was coachable but not sure how much QB coaching there is with the Lions these days.

https://www.cfl.ca/players/dominique-davis/157778/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
OV:54-40
Starter

tedbear wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:06 pm
Lions move away from Jordan Williams trading him to the Argos for a first round pick. Williams lost his spot to Hladik last year and the Lions seemed to lose faith in him as the season wore on.

Wowzers - though makes sense with Lokombo available for W-OLB and the Lions in need of draft positioning/picks this year.

Curious where Jordan will fit in with the Argos? - they have Muamba at MLB and McManis at W-OLB, plus a couple of good young Canadian LBs in Cassar & Hoyte. Argos are quite solid for Canadian talent all over, so skipping on their top pick this year maybe not that costly ?

And Ouellette is a very different style back than Butler - more of a power back but with good quicks and a decent receiver too. I bet the Argos will try hard to keep him but maybe money will talk. I'd be tempted to go after Western all-Canadian RB Keon Edwards (leading rusher there the past 2 seasons with an eye-popping 7 + yards/carry average - package of balance, vision and quickness between the tackles) with that new 1st rounder - guy is a 230 pound load and IMO one of the most explosive U Sports RBs I have seen in a long time. Might be written off by CFL scouts if he does not post a fast 40 time at the Combine though - and that would be a big mistake IMO - I bet this guy could be a very good starting CFL tailback if given a real opportunity. And bonus - as a young Canadian draft pick, he gets held to CFL minimum wage unlike all those other so over-paid Canucks - LOL
Last edited by OV:54-40 on Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

tedbear wrote:
I don't think Williams lost his spot to Hladik as much as Williams was much better in pass coverage than Hladik. I think Williams plays MAC as well or better than Hladik but Hladik can't play WIL as well as Williams. A D can make adjustments to make life easier for a MAC but it's tougher to do with a WIL. With Lokombo out it simply made sense to flip the two so they could get similar play at MAC and better play at WIL. If not for Lokombo's injury he would have stayed at WIL and Williams at MAC with Hladik rotating in.
OV:54-40
Starter

Lions also should have last year's draft pick LB Ryder Varga - CanWest all-star with the size to play W or MLB; so if they like him, cushions the blow of losing Williams
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I don’t think the Lions gain anything in this trade. Williams is a former No. 1 overall pick, CFL rookie of the year in 2021 and two-year starter at linebacker. The Lions will be hard-pressed to get a player of his calibre with the Argo pick they acquired, No. 9 overall.

The Lions don’t lose much, though, with Ben Hladik and Bo Lokombo capable off starting at MAC and WILL. I accept Farhan Lalji’s explanation that Williams simply asked for the trade to be closer to business interests on the U.S. east coast.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

OV:54-40 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:39 pm
tedbear wrote:

Wowzers - though makes sense with Lokombo available for W-OLB and the Lions in need of draft positioning/picks this year.

Curious where Jordan will fit in with the Argos? - they have Muamba at MLB and McManis at W-OLB, plus a couple of good young Canadian LBs in Cassar & Hoyte. Argos are quite solid for Canadian talent all over, so skipping on their top pick this year maybe not that costly ?

And Ouellette is a very different style back than Butler - more of a power back but with good quicks and a decent receiver too. I bet the Argos will try hard to keep him but maybe money will talk. I'd be tempted to go after Western all-Canadian RB Keon Edwards (leading rusher there the past 2 seasons with an eye-popping 7 + yards/carry average - package of balance, vision and quickness between the tackles) with that new 1st rounder - guy is a 230 pound load and IMO one of the most explosive U Sports RBs I have seen in a long time. Might be written off by CFL scouts if he does not post a fast 40 time at the Combine though - and that would be a big mistake IMO - I bet this guy could be a very good starting CFL tailback if given a real opportunity. And bonus - as a young Canadian draft pick, he gets held to CFL minimum wage unlike all those other so over-paid Canucks - LOL
I assuming it means Muamba maybe retiring. They have way too much Dline talent to switch to 3-4 defense.