Rourke NFL workouts: chooses Jacksonville

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

johnchow604
Rookie

Great move by Rourke. Jacksonville is an up and coming team and if (when) he makes backup, he's only 1 injury away from starting some games. One he starts and impresses, he can look at NFL free agency and get a pay bump on other teams.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Aside from the fact Trevor Lawrence has #1 locked up this is a really good situation for Rourke and exactly what he was looking for.

Jacksonville's coaching staff is loaded with the type and quality of offensive coaches that will be huge in his development; HC Doug Pederson, OC Press Taylor, Passing Game Coordinator Jim Bob Cooter, QBC Mike McCoy and Asst QC Coach Henry Burris.

The Jags currently have only 3 QBs; Lawrence and 6 year veteran CJ Beathard are on the active roster with rookie UDFA E.J.Perry spending the season on the PR. Beathard is on an expiring contract. With Lawrence in place they are not a threat to draft a QB. Whether they try to re-sign Beathard or keep Perry around remains to be seen. They might try to land another vet backup in free agency but everything points to Rourke having at worst a wide open shot to be #2 behind Lawrence if not already having #2 as his spot to lose.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

johnchow604 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:24 pm
Great move by Rourke. Jacksonville is an up and coming team and if (when) he makes backup, he's only 1 injury away from starting some games. One he starts and impresses, he can look at NFL free agency and get a pay bump on other teams.
Could you tell me the last time this happened in the 21st century?
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:29 pm
Aside from the fact Trevor Lawrence has #1 locked up this is a really good situation for Rourke and exactly what he was looking for.

Jacksonville's coaching staff is loaded with the type and quality of offensive coaches that will be huge in his development; HC Doug Pederson, OC Press Taylor, Passing Game Coordinator Jim Bob Cooter, QBC Mike McCoy and Asst QC Coach Henry Burris.

The Jags currently have only 3 QBs; Lawrence and 6 year veteran CJ Beathard are on the active roster with rookie UDFA E.J.Perry spending the season on the PR. Beathard is on an expiring contract. With Lawrence in place they are not a threat to draft a QB. Whether they try to re-sign Beathard or keep Perry around remains to be seen. They might try to land another vet backup in free agency but everything points to Rourke having at worst a wide open shot to be #2 behind Lawrence if not already having #2 as his spot to lose.
I just…I mean..I don’t even know where to start here.

He’ll never start.

There’s a vet back up in the building.

You’re applauding him leaving for an opportunity to compete for a backup role.

And you view Jim Bob Cooter as a positive mentor. (Having seen his actual body of work in Detroit, I beg to differ).

And you’re asserting they won’t burn a pick on a QB in the draft.

The stuff you guys can smoke legally up there contains some powerful hopium.
OV:54-40
Starter

cromartie wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:41 pm
johnchow604 wrote:

Just FYI; and to name 2 current /this year teams - the 49ers & the Dolphins are starting 3rd string QBs (as of beginning of season depth charts) in the play-offs right now.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
johnchow604 wrote:
Matt Cassel, Matt Schaub, Jimmy Garappolo. Those are just 3 off the top of my head. Could also add Matt Hasselback to that.
Walt67
Starter

cromartie wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:46 pm
Hambone wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:29 pm

I just…I mean..I don’t even know where to start here.

He’ll never start.

There’s a vet back up in the building.

You’re applauding him leaving for an opportunity to compete for a backup role.

And you view Jim Bob Cooter as a positive mentor. (Having seen his actual body of work in Detroit, I beg to differ).

Almost 3 hours after the news broke here there was no mention of the signing on the Jacksonville web site - it doesn't seem like they think it is a big deal. I hope Nathan and his advisors made the right choice.

And you’re asserting they won’t burn a pick on a QB in the draft.

The stuff you guys can smoke legally up there contains some powerful hopium.
johnchow604
Rookie

Rourke's signing made it as a ESPN NFL headline
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/354 ... gn-jaguars

And the Jags board noticed the signing...
https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.php?tid=38045
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'm not sure he's making a decision on the basis of what I thought he would be basing it upon. That is, unless his statement that he's chasing the dream isn't how he made it.

Passion and dreams are great but a good decision-making process is to put them aside (along with prayer) and evaluate the options with more concrete data weighing all the options including playing in Canada.

There are moments I wonder if the Lions committing to Michael Reilly that last year might have led to a different outcome if Rourke who they say could have played that year as a starter was actually the Lions starter.

Having said, I wish him well and hopefully he gets his dream and actually plays rather than languishes and doesn't play much.

The upside might be with Henry Burris there as a coach.
Multiple teams reportedly offered Rourke a contract but he elected to sign with Jacksonville, where he can now work with former Super Bowl-winning head coach Doug Pederson. Hall of Fame CFL quarterback Henry Burris, who was originally hired by the Lions to work with Rourke as a consultant this season before accepting an NFL opportunity, is employed as the team’s offensive quality control coach.
https://3downnation.com/2023/01/15/cana ... e-jaguars/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I imagine the fact that young Nathan recently got engaged (and most likely plans to start a family soon) makes the NFL money that much more important to him. This could set him up for life, Not so in the CFL. A far different situation in life now than when here in BC where he was single and living in his parents’ basement.
Yes, as others have said, I’d imagine the fact that Henry Burris is on the coaching staff there in Jacksonville may have influenced his decision somewhat also—so far as choosing that particular team from among all the possibilities. Anyhow, I don't expect to see him get playing time (unless due to injury to Trevor Lawrence)--so that's disappointing, but I think it comes back to the 'marriage and starting a family' scenario. A sensible decision from that perspective. Disappointed, but wishing him well.
fivethej
prospect

Lions should sign Bo Levi Mitchell. VDJ is hot garbage and isn't the answer.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Happy for Nathan but a tough day for the franchise.
They did everything right. Named him starter the same day Reilly announced his retirement. Their hunch couldn’t have been more right and if you wanted him longer in BC it went too well.
Such is pro sports but few players in franchise history moved the needle of fan interest like Rourke did.
Would be nice to enjoy at least 1 more season but Nathan’s career has always been about getting to the NFL and the pathway proved to be a very short one.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Most important thing is now that Rourke has made his decision the biggest question mark in terms of players and cap has now been answered. McEvoy and Campbell now have the starting QB and with that the known budget moving forward settled. They can now move on in earnest in dealing with the rest of their priority pending FAs and formulating their free agency plans.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Sad day for BC but a good day for a nice young man. I hope that he will remember his time here fondly enough that if his dreams of NFL go awry, that he will be willing to come back. There have been a lot of talented QB's from this league who have gone down south only to return 2 or 3 years later. One of the best QB's in this league couldn't make it done south for years in the guise of Doug Flutie, Dave Dickenson had his shot, Casey Printers, Henry Burris and countless others have all had dreams of making it in the NFL and probably would have done okay had they gotten a decent shot but ended up coming north to ply their trade. I'm not wishing this on Rourke but I think it is fair to point out that we may have a chance to enjoy this man's talents again north of the border down the road. Until such time, good luck Nathan. You were like a breath of fresh air in this league and a great story about the virtues of hard work, determination and desire.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

OV:54-40 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:05 pm
cromartie wrote:
johnchow604 wrote:

Just FYI; and to name 2 current /this year teams - the 49ers & the Dolphins are starting 3rd string QBs (as of beginning of season depth charts) in the play-offs right now.
Once again, could you tell me the last time a CFL starting quarterback left, went to the NFL, and went on to become a regular starter, since the invention of the iPod.

You cannot. And Hambone can't either.

Because there isn't one.

Conservatively, there have been 1500 undrafted or invitee QBs in NFL camps since 2000. Less than 30 have set foot on an NFL field long enough to be considered a sustainable starter. You guys keep cranking out names like this is some sort of regular occurrence. It isn't.

Skylar Thompson was a draft pick.
Brock Purdy was a draft pick.

As has been stated multiple times in this thread it is in a team's best interest to prioritize and develop draft picks over players signed off the street, and this is one of many impediments CFL players face when they attempt to make NFL rosters . And while this isn't fair, it's reality, even when it's detrimental to the development of a team. The Titans thought Malik Willis was an upgrade over Logan Woodside, even though Woodside had pro experience and two years in their system. They kept Willis. They're sitting at home now and their GM is unemployed. Every pro GM will cut an experienced street free agent at the expense of even a mid round draft pick when given the opportunity, because he has to justify his in house decision making in order for them, and him, to remain employed .

Lions should sign Bo Levi Mitchell. VDJ is hot garbage and isn't the answer.

While I find signing BLM intriguing at the right price, I think he's going to stay in the Hammer.

Also, VA isn't hot garbage. He's a really good QB in a specific system. However, that system relies on a healthy Whitehead and VA can't adjust to teams that have a secondary that plays good press-man on the routes he's capable of throwing to confidently. He doesn't audible well. You can work with this, but it isn't going to win you the West. BLM would be great insurance but at this point I question whether he has the physical skill set to hold up. Fajardo is probably a more realistic option, if that's your thing. VA is good. He's just not good enough. In a good franchise with a solid coaching infrastructure in place (setting aside the Special Teams tire fire that isn't really directly applicable), that can get you to a Western Final (in the East it would get you to a Grey Cup but there are actual competent football people in the West). It just won't win you the West. So you now have to look at this team's ceiling as a WDF loss.

I imagine the fact that young Nathan recently got engaged (and most likely plans to start a family soon) makes the NFL money that much more important to him.

It's true. Women ruin everything.

Matt Cassel, Matt Schaub, Jimmy Garappolo. Those are just 3 off the top of my head. Could also add Matt Hasselback to that.

Matt Cassel was a draft pick. Jimmy Garappolo was a draft pick. Matt Schaub was a draft pick. Matt Hasselback was a draft pick.

I mean, you guys might be willing to invest your RRSPs in lottery tickets, but I'm going to pass rooting for others who make the same decision.

There are plenty of guys who have come through here who were or could have been NFL caliber talent if things had been differently. Wake was. Both Bighill and Sol E got the shaft in their respective NFL stints. TJ Lee could be, I believe. I would and did support them all. But guys like Manny, JC and Casey Printers aren't. Fine athletes but there was no fit for them in the NFL. Rourke is going to come up short also.

This is really a situation the league should have stepped in and attempted to address, or the club should have found a way to backdoor a personal services contract. What could have happened is the league could have revived a down market team into a flagship franchise with a Canadian QB but as usual, the dunce in the Commissioner's Office is asleep at the switch.

The team will be fine. The league will be fine. But it could have been great, for a change, and that's the real tragedy here.

As for Rourke, the best case scenario is that he follow's Dave Dickenson's career path. And while that might be well and good in the end, the opportunity cost for all parties involved make this a sad day for pretty much everyone.