Rourke NFL workouts: chooses Jacksonville

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

If the CFL were to offer guaranteed contracts, would that in some way curb the ability of signed players to try out for the NFL?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:37 pm
If the CFL were to offer guaranteed contracts, would that in some way curb the ability of signed players to try out for the NFL?
CFL teams now can guarantee 50% of the base salary in the final year of a multi-year deal. If my earlier thinking on the ability to supplement the CBA mandated base with a big bonus is accurate conceivably BC could offer a 3 year deal with 2023 being $min + $500K in a signing bonus and Year 3 being $600K in base with $300K guaranteed = $800K in guaranteed money over the 3 year term.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
johnchow604
Rookie

With it being reported Rourke having multiple NFL offers, it seems unlikely the Lions would be able to make an offer attractive enough package to bring him back. I just hope the Lions are looking at bringing in some quality free agents to challenge Vernon Adams.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

johnchow604 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:26 pm
With it being reported Rourke having multiple NFL offers, it seems unlikely the Lions would be able to make an offer attractive enough package to bring him back. I just hope the Lions are looking at bringing in some quality free agents to challenge Vernon Adams.
I've resigned myself to the reality that if he gets an offer that effectively makes a #2 spot his for the taking if he proves worthy he is gone. Big question is will he get that offer?

As for quality free agents to challenge VA I'm skeptical. Have to see what happens with Bo, Harris and MBT. If they all wind up staying where they are then you're looking at the leftovers being whoever amongst Fajardo, D.Evans and Arbuckle loses out on the likely vacancy in Regina. Then it gets down to outbidding the rest of the league for a veteran ex-starter willing to work as a backup for $125K or less.
maxlion
Legend

maxlion wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:23 pm

I see what you mean, but a 80k base contract with 500k bonus would be pretty anomalous. I mean, why strictly control the base salary but then allow unlimited bonus? I suspect they just wanted to fit a bunch of extra words into the third column of the table and didn't have room for the bonus info. Admittedly, that seems pretty amateurish.

I keep going back to the option year. What does that mean? A team can cut a player anytime. Why not just say that rookies have to sign 3 year contracts?

I think the Lions would just not exercise the option, then sign Rourke as a free agent. It would be a loophole to the cost controlled structure, but the league might turn a blind eye under the circumstances. Or else the league would just change the rule. Obviously they wouldn't let this basically unintelligible provision stand in the way of keeping a generational talent in the league.
Hambone wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:29 am
They could easily have laid those columns out to fit everything in if there were criteria for the signing/housing and perfomance bonuses to be included. The 2 pages they use to lay it out before moving on to the next Article have close to a combined 3/4 of a page worth of blank space they could easily use if they had something to put in it.
I agree that my explanation is not very satisfactory for the reason you mentioned. However, I think that the idea that there is no limit to bonuses is more fundamentally flawed. The language in the third column has one purpose as far as I understand: control the cost for national players on an first contract. That purpose would be entirely undone if the limits on bonuses were removed. Is there a reason why base salary would be strictly limited but bonuses would have no limits?

A third option is that players in their third year cannot get bonuses. However, all things considered, I think that the most reasonable explanation is that the same bonuses apply as in years 1 and 2 and the base contract is negotiable up to the 10% limit.
Hambone wrote:
The option year is at the club's discretion. They do have to advise the player and the league that they will be picking up the option by Dec 31st of the year prior to the option year season. If the club chooses not to pick up the option year the player would become a free agent. Now this is going back to memory from several years ago but it seems to me there was something about option years and raise offers and 10% rings a bell. I don't remember the context of it all but in the back of my mind I think teams had to offer a 10% raise to complete their commitment to the option year. I could be totally out to lunch on that. I can't find anything in the CBA or By-Laws about it.
You may be right that there are certain procedural requirements for option years. I still wonder what the purpose is though. A team could pick up an option on Monday and cut the player on Tuesday. In effect, every year is an option year at the club's discretion. The players play at the pleasure of the owners.
Hambone wrote:
As for the idea of cut him and sign a new deal I believe there is one major flaw. Correct me if I'm wrong but if they cut him he would be subject to the waiver process. He wouldn't become a free and clear free agent until he passed through the waiver process unclaimed.
The waiver system was scrapped some years ago but there is the practice roster process whereby a player on a practice roster can be claimed by another team. However, that only applies during the season. If cut in the off-season, the player becomes a free agent.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Sad really Maxlion. Only allowable extra money in Year 1 and 2 outside of signing/housing is a 50%+1 O or D reps playtime bonus. Willams wins Most Outstanding Rookie in 2021 and Rourke wins Most Outstanding Canadian in 2022 and neither can earn a dime for that. If your take is correct neither could be offered potential bonuses for any major awards or all-star awards in their 3rd seasons either. Those are all very standard offerings for any other player.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:49 am
Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:54 am
And yesterday it was Cleveland.

https://3downnation.com/2023/01/11/cana ... nd-browns/

Nathan Rourke's made more stops than a rock band on a concert tour.

He's an intelligent, hard worker who is likely getting some good advice on his career.

I've read nothing on his comments as it appears all that is out there is that he's "worked out yesterday for _____"

He's young and able to pull up roots easily so it does make sense to do these tours and meet NFL coaching staff even if it's not for this season.

For ardent CFL fans it's always a bit disappointing to read how many CFLers are in the NFL or trying out for the NFL but that is all about the size of our market and not the quality of the play or players.
Thank-you. I stand corrected :)

No, you don't stand corrected.

You posted correctly and then it was Cleveland.
The visit (Cleveland) marks the Canadian pivot’s twelfth NFL workout this off-season, following visits with the Las Vegas Raiders, Jacksonville Jaguars, Denver Broncos, Minnesota Vikings, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Indianapolis Colts, Arizona Cardinals, Los Angeles Chargers, Cincinnati Bengals, Kansas City Chiefs, and New York Giants.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:52 pm
Rourke’s NFL workout tour is over and his decision could be made by the weekend, according to Farhan Lalji.

Farhan says the Vikings, Giants and Buccaneers would be the best fit for Rourke.

Farhan is never usually way off base and rumours abound that Tom Brady might want to move on.

With Patrick Mahomes with the Chiefs it makes some sense from a learning perspective but not if you think you're going to be no. 1 any time soon.

Ryan Leaf has a view too:
Former NFL QB Ryan Leaf sees Miami Dolphins, Kansas City Chiefs as best fits for CFL’s Nathan Rourke
By 3Down Staff -January 14, 2023
“Probably, I would say the Dolphins in what they do and how they spread the field out, maybe the Chiefs,” Leaf said.
You have to have that understanding when you get to the NFL, it’s hard to spread the field around because the hash marks are so darn close.
I like reading this positive comments on the CFL even if Ryan Leaf didn't play here. Like these over the endless stories on 3 Down about who's trying out where and who's playing or coaching in the NFL. I'm NOT criticizing 3 Down!!!
Though Leaf never attempted to revive his playing career in the CFL, he has followed the league for another reason.

“I know the CFL pretty well. Dave Dickenson, who was just an absolute stud up there, … he grew up a block from me,” Leaf explained. “We used to play football together my whole life. Growing up he was my hero, played quarterback ahead of me at my high school. Love that guy. Craig Dickenson, his brother, who’s been a staple up there too. Just so proud of those guys watching them.”

“So I have a pretty good feel, I spent some time in Vancouver watching the B.C. Lions go at it too. The CFL, I’m a big fan of it.”
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
OV:54-40
Starter

The success of rookie QB Purdy with the 49ers - last overall draft pick, might bode well for Rourke's chances of an NFL team giving him a real look; Purdy went from "Mr. irrelevant" (term for last overall pick in the draft) and 3rd stringer for the 49ers to playing and winning (including his first play-off game); and seems to me, similar to Rourke - same size, poised, plus good mobility and good arm, along with being not highly rated by the NFL experts coming out of college ball. Maybe an NFL GM or two looks at Purdy's success and says, hey why not with this Rourke kid too ? And real analysis of his game film for the Lions this past season should - i repeat, should - speak volumes.
b_man360
Rookie

Jacksonville
come on and roar you lions roar!!!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene
Team Captain

b_man360 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:41 am
Jacksonville
Probably the last team many would think of but this was his dream all along. Three years ago he was overlooked in the draft entirely and received a tryout as a receiver. Jaguars must have offered a solid signing bonus and he gets to learn from an excellent offensive coach in Ferndale's Doug Pederson.

Now, re-vamp this offence around Vernon Adams' strengths. He can thrive here and the QB strength around the league is not exactly at an elite level.
Thank goodness they made that trade back in September.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rourke will be competing for a backup position behind former first overall NFL draft pick Trevor Lawrence, who is 16 months younger than Rourke and just led his team to one of the biggest comebacks in NFL playoff history. He may never get to play. I’m glad we got to see his talent here.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sorry to see him leave but wish him the best.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I don’t even have the energy to process a career decision this stupid today.

I look forward to losing the WDF with VA this fall.