Rourke NFL workouts: chooses Jacksonville

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

OV:54-40 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:48 pm
CFL & BC Lions fans can hope the NFL super experts continue to be dismissive of a lot of top CFL talent, and QB is # 1 on their no like list. Still doesn't mean Rourke won't get a real, serious look from an NFL team in need, but not guaranteed at all there. The NFL geniuses already wrote him off as a good QB prospect out of college ball, and they don't give a rat's @$$ about outstanding CFL QB play.

The notion that Rourke would likely only be a "serviceable" NFL back-up level QB talent should be laughable to anyone who saw him play in the CFL this year; his passing arm - strength & accuracy, plus poise and vision were outstanding; and that was without putting his superior QB running skills to use much (see what young QB Fields is doing for the Bears this year). I'm sure there were all kinds of doubters who scoffed at Warren Moon's NFL prospects to be a starting QB there; but Moon had Hugh Campbell in his corner down there to ensure he would be taken seriously.
Moon also had five Grey Cup rings when he took his shot at the NFL. Having his Edmonton coach, Rick Campbell's dad, as his NFL coach in Houston was a purrfect situation. Rourke doesn't have those factors working for him.
maxlion
Legend

In my view, the best comparison for Rourke attempting to go from the CFL to NFL is Ricky Ray. Both are smart, highly accurate passers who were successful very early in their CFL careers. If I am not mistaken, Ray was 25 when he went south while Rourke is 24. The main advantage Rourke has over Ray is his mobility. It may be that the environment for a CFL player making it is better or worse now than then, but I am not sure about that.

Moon was a long time ago and circumstances were much different.

Dickinson, Levi-Mitchell and Reilly were all much older than Ray and Rourke.

Casey Printers is another possible comparable, but I don't think he had the mental game down.

Streveler is an unusual case of a QB who was a backup here who has managed to stick around the NFL and even get some game action. But he has an unusual skill set that is more suited to a specialized role.

I think Rourke has the best chance of sticking and making an impact than any other CFL QB in recent memory.

Edit: I forgot about Garcia, who was also older when he left, though otherwise might be a good comparable.
johnchow604
Rookie

If Rourke is invited to a training camp, which I think is very likely, and is then cut , it's hard to believe he won't be added to some other team's practice roster.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:30 pm
In my view, the best comparison for Rourke attempting to go from the CFL to NFL is Ricky Ray. Both are smart, highly accurate passers who were successful very early in their CFL careers. If I am not mistaken, Ray was 25 when he went south while Rourke is 24. The main advantage Rourke has over Ray is his mobility. It may be that the environment for a CFL player making it is better or worse now than then, but I am not sure about that.

Moon was a long time ago and circumstances were much different.

Dickinson, Levi-Mitchell and Reilly were all much older than Ray and Rourke.

Casey Printers is another possible comparable, but I don't think he had the mental game down.

Streveler is an unusual case of a QB who was a backup here who has managed to stick around the NFL and even get some game action. But he has an unusual skill set that is more suited to a specialized role.

I think Rourke has the best chance of sticking and making an impact than any other CFL QB in recent memory.

Edit: I forgot about Garcia, who was also older when he left, though otherwise might be a good comparable.
Yeah, I mean it's nice if people who assert these things could come up with an example from the 21st century.

But we've had this conversation with Ray, Printers, Burris, heck even Calvillo worked out with the Steelers a couple of times.

And believe me, I don't like being a walking bucket of cold water on people's hopes and dreams, but my life philosophy involves using empirical evidence as a component of relentless pragmatism so....
If Rourke is invited to a training camp, which I think is very likely, and is then cut , it's hard to believe he won't be added to some other team's practice roster.
While there are worse things in life than light practice and spending game days in press boxes for $90k US, it's not exactly a pathway to professional development relative to the alternative, now, is it?
OV:54-40
Starter

Let's see: Warren Moon, Dieter Brock and Jeff Garcia are examples of outstanding CFL QB s who went down to the NFL, and, guess what, were outstanding QBs there too.

More recently, CFL QBs like Burris (one NFL start against the Bucs SB defence of that year - predictable how that went); Dave Dickenson & Ricky Ray made an NFL practice roster but got ZERO playing time; Chris Strevler has made a couple of rosters - more a running QB option - and played just a bit.

SO, there is basically zero on-field, empirical evidence, in recent history, of a star CFL QB going to the NFL, making a game roster and getting to play lots, and failing by being a real lousy NFL QB. OTOH - tons of empirical evidence of other NFL QBs who were/are $hitty, lousy, losing QBs, but got rewarded with more & more starts and playing time ... from the genius coaching in charge of the situation.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Garcia of course was helped by having a long time family connection to Bill Walsh.
Dickenson provides an example of how the situation and depth chart can change after signing an NFL deal. Things looked good at the time as one of the first things the Chargers did that offseason was to rid themselves of Ryan Leaf. But then they went and signed Doug Flutie and had Drew Brees fall into their laps with the 1st pick in the 2nd round.

I don't know that I'd consider Brock's NFL stint "outstanding". True the Rams did well but Brock's numbers were pedestrian. Completed 59.7% of his passes for just over 2600 yards with 16 TDs and 13 picks. Also got sacked 51 times. In 2 playoff games he completed only 16 of 53 attempts for 116 yards. Eric Dickerson was the Rams meal ticket. Brock's NFL career lasted only the one season as he tore up a knee in 1986 training camp.

That Dickenson scenario is something Rourke would be at risk to given there are 5 draft eligible QB prospects deemed probable 1st round picks. Rourke must be signed down there prior to CFL free agency opening up which happens to be the Tuesday BEFORE Super Bowl. Any NFL team signing him is not going to rest their laurels on signing Rourke with NFL free agency and the Draft still many weeks down the road. If they see opportunity to use those vehicles to improve their QB situation they will. The depth chart Rourke might be part of in January could look very different come the first mini-camp.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
OV:54-40
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:45 am
Garcia of course was helped by having a long time family connection to Bill Walsh.
Dickenson provides an example of how the situation and depth chart can change after signing an NFL deal. Things looked good at the time as one of the first things the Chargers did that offseason was to rid themselves of Ryan Leaf. But then they went and signed Doug Flutie and had Drew Brees fall into their laps with the 1st pick in the 2nd round.

I don't know that I'd consider Brock's NFL stint "outstanding". True the Rams did well but posting.php?mode=quote&p=417961&sid=784 ... a9#Brock's numbers were pedestrian. Completed 59.7% of his passes for just over 2600 yards with 16 TDs and 13 picks. Also got sacked 51 times. In 2 playoff games he completed only 16 of 53 attempts for 116 yards. Eric Dickerson was the Rams meal ticket. Brock's NFL career lasted only the one season as he tore up a knee in 1986 training camp.

That Dickenson scenario is something Rourke would be at risk to given there are 5 draft eligible QB prospects deemed probable 1st round picks. Rourke must be signed down there prior to CFL free agency opening up which happens to be the Tuesday BEFORE Super Bowl. Any NFL team signing him is not going to rest their laurels on signing Rourke with NFL free agency and the Draft still many weeks down the road. If they see opportunity to use those vehicles to improve their QB situation they will. The depth chart Rourke might be part of in January could look very different come the first mini-camp.

Ok, silly me for considering that a 1st year QB with an NFL team helping lead them to the NFC Final AND breaking their single season completion % mark is anything close to outstanding. LOL

Cameron Wake was not much in the NFL either; that's what i heard/read after his 1st season down there anyways. Can't really expect top CFL talent to compete with NFL super-heroes. LOL again.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

My conclusion based on the takes of others here is:

There is really no comparison of a CFL QB heading to the NFL for tryouts that directly parallels Nathan Rourke's short, but illustrious CFL career.

I have no clue who Rourke's agent or who his advisors are but ideally he'll reach out to others who've done what he's done as in the CFL I can't see anyone not being helpful.

While he says it's not for the T-shirt but if gets to check out and learn something along the way and lessen the itch maybe a t-shirt or two is a decent thing to get. I'm not trying to be sarcastic or put down Nathan Rourke as if he's a BC Lion next year, I could see a GC bound team.

Although not a comparable as Bo had some years of success here this might be a useful article for Nathan Rourke on Bo Levi Mitchell's numerous NFL tryouts.

The then-Vikings GM Rick Spielman:

“Why would you leave Canada?” Spielman asked during the first stop of Mitchell’s eight-team NFL tour in December. “You’re a legend up there. You can make more money there the next four years than you can make here. I don’t see why you’re leaving a known commodity for a chance.”
https://www.tsn.ca/legacy-led-mitchell- ... -1.1308539
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I have stated it before but I feel it is worth repeating: If Rourke wants a fast track to becoming a great QB, then starting in the CFL with the playing time experience gained, will serve him better than competing to become the 2nd string clip board holder. He will be better off, imo, establishing himself as a CFL all star with lots of experience and then go to the NFL when there is a legit oppourtunity to compete for a starting position as an NFL QB.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:45 pm
I have stated it before but I feel it is worth repeating: If Rourke wants a fast track to becoming a great QB, then starting in the CFL with the playing time experience gained, will serve him better than competing to become the 2nd string clip board holder. He will be better off, imo, establishing himself as a CFL all star with lots of experience and then go to the NFL when there is a legit oppourtunity to compete for a starting position as an NFL QB.
Agreed. His best bet is to sign an extension with the Lions for 2023 and 2024 at about $500,000 per season. After that, he’ll still be young enough to pursue offers from either league as an establised QB.
ddanny
Rookie

Guys it does not work that way listen to Farhan
cromartie
Hall of Famer

OV:54-40 wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:41 pm

Cameron Wake was not much in the NFL either; that's what i heard/read after his 1st season down there anyways. Can't really expect top CFL talent to compete with NFL super-heroes. LOL again.
Citation Needed.

Cam Wake was considered gift enough that he signed a three year deal with a $1 million signing bonus. He also wasn't a quarterback. Try again.
ddanny wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:22 pm
Guys it does not work that way listen to Farhan
Correct. And that's a problem in the CBA that needs to be fixed, and soon.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Here's the dilemma for Rourke.

Try out now as the window is open.

OR

Wait until established as the winner he looks to be and when a window opens again, tryout.

By then it might result in the Bo Levi Mitchell scenario where your NFL offer isn't worth the risk-reward as by this time you have family, connections, roots and a good paying job as highest paid player on your team with future prospects here - so you stay in the CFL.

I have no insights into how Nathan Rourke thinks other than what he says on TV or whether he's a good strategic decision-maker when it comes to his career.

I'd hazard a guess that his injury has unimaginably been a shock given how he was playing when he got hurt.
Even being in Regina for his outstanding Canadian award must have been a bitter sweet moment.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Toppy Vann wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:02 pm
Here's the dilemma for Rourke.

Try out now as the window is open.

OR

Wait until established as the winner he looks to be and when a window opens again, tryout.

By then it might result in the Bo Levi Mitchell scenario where your NFL offer isn't worth the risk-reward as by this time you have family, connections, roots and a good paying job as highest paid player on your team with future prospects here - so you stay in the CFL.

I have no insights into how Nathan Rourke thinks other than what he says on TV or whether he's a good strategic decision-maker when it comes to his career.

I'd hazard a guess that his injury has unimaginably been a shock given how he was playing when he got hurt.
Even being in Regina for his outstanding Canadian award must have been a bitter sweet moment.
Actually Rourke has given us quite a bit of insight into his strategic decision making regarding his career: He went to a high school in Oakville, Ont that is known for its football program. Then in his senior HS year he moves with his family to Ohio (I think) to get the benefit of superior American HS coaching, then on to a US college for again better coaching than in Canada. AFAIK he is currently living in Vancouver with his parents and concentrating on football instead of bachelor life/bachelor apartment, or getting married and raising a family of his own. I would say that he has demonstrated that he is more about becoming a great football player than great NFL $ at this point. This is why I think the best route to the NFL for Rourke is to play a full season in 2023 as a starting CFL QB vs going to the NFL at this point to hold a clip board.
maxlion
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:23 pm
This is why I think the best route to the NFL for Rourke is to play a full season in 2023 as a starting CFL QB vs going to the NFL at this point to hold a clip board.
I don't have any knowledge or insight into how things work in the NFL. But it seems to me that developing QBs would have the benefit of high level coaching and training even if they are not starters. In the CFL nowadays, most teams don't even have a dedicated QB coach and practice time is limited.

Even if Roarke is not starting in the NFL, he would be developing his skills, learning what it takes to succeed in the NFL, and building trust and relationships with coaches and players. He needs to go through this process regardless of how long he plays in the CFL.

He is already a dominant player in the CFL. His half season was unprecedented, the best QB performance in CFL history. What else can he learn here?