WSF Calgary vs BC Nov 6

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

OV:54-40
Starter

DanoT wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:01 pm
Hambone wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:50 pm
ddanny wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:05 pm
If Nathen is on bc wins if he is off bc lose simple as that
Rourke will have to be on. Calgary has an outstanding defense.
At this point in his recovery Rourke's running ability is somewhat diminished, so Butler needs to be on his game as well as the O line.

TBH, I am not expecting a Lions victory. The Stamps best RB in the CFL vs the Lions not so great against the run D, and a not 100% Rourke, not 100% Lucky are what makes me worry.
Yeah, expecting Rourke to be able to shake off the rust AND have his outstanding mobility back is asking a lot; might be possible though. Giving Butler some decent work or throw in a screen or two to big Mackie to let him truck some Stamps defenders = might help - diversity on O !

And the BC D needs to do something to shut-down the Stamps diverse RB with 2 different and very good backs. I'd play 3 natural big LBs (Williams, Lokombo & Hladik) especially early and hope that helps stuff the run; make Maier beat them with the passing game, but they are capable there as well.

Gonna be a tough game, but IMO could be a great one.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:01 pm
Hambone wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:50 pm
ddanny wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:05 pm
If Nathen is on bc wins if he is off bc lose simple as that
Rourke will have to be on. Calgary has an outstanding defense.
At this point in his recovery Rourke's running ability is somewhat diminished, so Butler needs to be on his game as well as the O line.

TBH, I am not expecting a Lions victory. The Stamps best RB in the CFL vs the Lions not so great against the run D, and a not 100% Rourke, not 100% Lucky are what makes me worry.
I am not expecting victory either, sigh
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have had too many embarrassing playoff no-shows under previous coaching staffs. I hope they go in with a good game plan and don't give up too many early big plays. If they start with some successful drives and defensive stops, they should be able to feed off the crowd and make it harder for Calgary to come back.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Big thing for Rourke this week Is building up his stamina and what ever pain management to go the distance on Sunday. He told Farhan & Steve Ewen today he probably could have gone a couple of more series Friday but didn’t take all the first team reps in practice like he will now.
Refused to say percentage wise how he feels but the kid is tough as nails and has put in a ton of work to be in this position to start Sunday.

https://theprovince.com/sports/footbal ... us-calgary

Campbell also was asked why Whitehead played as long as he did Friday before getting hurt. Again referred to his ankle injury as “chronic” and they needed to see how well it would hold up over the course of the game rather than one quarter.
I recall Lucky before the game saying he “needed to be careful.”
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I haven't heard an update on numbers but ticket sales seem to have stalled after the upper deck was opened. According to the Ticketmaster chart, not much has been sold on the upper deck, and a number of seats are being offered for resale in the lower bowl, which still has a selection of seats in most price categories.

https://www.ticketmaster.ca/western-sem ... 53A5791DE2
David
Team Captain

Can't help but wonder if this number would be slightly higher if the club didn't lay an egg in its last game of the season in Winnipeg.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
ddanny
Rookie

I think they are expecting 30,00 +
But yes the Friday did not help much
David
Team Captain

Farhan reporting the Rourke looked quite mobile today taking first team reps. Lucky did not practice and is doubtful (no surprise for me). Cottoy was limited in practice (charley horse or thigh contusion?) but expected to play.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Lions need to play the long game with Lucky by having ready to go for the GC, should they get past the Stamps.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Spent about 30 minutes at today’s first full practice of the week before they head to BC Place starting tomorrow.

What the starting units looked like:

Offence: Norman (Broxton) back at guard. Burnham took all first team reps joining Cottoy, Hatcher, Rhymes & Hollins among the starting receivers.

Defence: Teuhema full participant in D-line rotation. Edwards-Cooper starting at corner joining regulars Lee, Peters, Purifoy and Sayles.

Whitehead out there at the start of practice wearing red jersey then disappeared and did not participate in receiver drills.

Breaux on the field and doing some things but limited. I don’t see him being activated unless things change drastically in 48 hours. At one point Phillips was talking at length with Lee & Edwards-Cooper suggesting the latter is almost certain to start.

- first practice of the season for me but interesting to see Maksymic standing off to the side and radioing in the plays to Rourke and Adams just like he does during games upstairs .

- As for Rourke. Just like Farhan reported he looked great. Did all stretching and short sprinting drills too. Best compliment would be you would have no clue he is coming off a serious injury. Hit Hollins in stride on a deep throw and simply looked much better on his throws than Adams.

-Just saw the injury report. Don’t read too much into Figueroa as a non-participant. It is true but he was still involved and did some walk thru plays with helmet off
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:17 pm
Spent about 30 minutes at today’s first full practice of the week before they head to BC Place starting tomorrow.

What the starting units looked like:

Offence: Norman (Broxton) back at guard. Burnham took all first team reps joining Cottoy, Hatcher, Rhymes & Hollins among the starting receivers.

Defence: Teuhema full participant in D-line rotation. Edwards-Cooper starting at corner joining regulars Lee, Peters, Purifoy and Sayles.

Whitehead out there at the start of practice wearing red jersey then disappeared and did not participate in receiver drills.

Breaux on the field and doing some things but limited. I don’t see him being activated unless things change drastically in 48 hours. At one point Phillips was talking at length with Lee & Edwards-Cooper suggesting the latter is almost certain to start.

- first practice of the season for me but interesting to see Maksymic standing off to the side and radioing in the plays to Rourke and Adams just like he does during games upstairs .

- As for Rourke. Just like Farhan reported he looked great. Did all stretching and short sprinting drills too. Best compliment would be you would have no clue he is coming off a serious injury. Hit Hollins in stride on a deep throw and simply looked much better on his throws than Adams.
Great report. Thanks. This looks like the Lions’ best lineup for this week. Hollins is quick and sure-handed. Edwards-Cooper has looked sharper in his second year even though he has only started due to injuries to Breaux and others. And Rourke, of course, is magical at the controls of a healthy offence.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions’ official injury report says Whitehead (ankle) and Joel Figueroa (shoulder) didn’t practise Wednesday while Cottoy (quad), Scarfone (hand) and Lee (hamstring) were limited. Burnham, Breaux, Archibald, Norman and Villamizar were all full participants.

https://www.bclions.com/injuryreport/
ddanny
Rookie

Whitehead i say no
Walt67
Starter

David wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:39 pm
I am just SO grateful to Amar Doman for rescuing our badly neglected and moribund football franchise. Doing all the right things. Another example of a move that makes so much sense but hadn't been executed (to the best of my knowledge). Foot passengers from Victoria and Nanaimo get FREE bus service to and from B.C. Place for the game. This saves passengers time and money (no longer having to pay for vehicle to board the ferry and park downtown).

It also shows Island football fans that their support matters. :beauty:

https://www.bclions.com/islandplayoffpackage/

Doman is a real class act. Happy to attend Sunday's game and give this owner the support his team deserves. Easily the best owner of the top 3 teams in the City.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Figs could simply be getting a maintenance day rest. I was a bit surprised that they didn't give him a break with a day off for the season finale. Given BC's 3rd bye was Labour Day the old fella has only had that week off since middle of July.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.