Lions vs. Bombers Oct. 15, 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

How does this win feel like a loss?
almo89
Legend

2 pick 6's was the turning point. Adams was awful. Butler looked good though
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

would the bombers trade up Brown for Pipkin and Adams?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Pay them and maybe Bombers will take Pipkin off our hands.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:07 pm
2 pick 6's was the turning point. Adams was awful. Butler looked good though
Adams was 13-22 for 138

That sounds like Rourke's first 2 drives.

He's pathetic. One more game and maybe we will ne er hear from him again
maxlion
Legend

Bottom line is that they needed to win and they did.

Adams wasn't very good but the defense and special teams and run game came through.

Basically it was a game of backups so not very predictive of future results but we needed the points to keep ahead of Calgary. I thought it was a pretty entertaining game, all things considered.

If Rourke can come back for the playoffs, we have as good a chance as any to win it all.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

As other posters have note, Adams is painful to watch. He had receivers open but some inexplicable reason he continues to stand in the pocket and gets sacked. This officiating crew is downright embarrassing. Missed several calls and made some very questionable calls.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It was a fun night at the stadium despite Adams not performing well.
BC has done nothing to adjust the offense to fit the skills of the QB they traded for. I'm not sure even Rourke this late in the season would be shooting out the lights as he was in the first half of the season.

Finally the DEF actually jumped a couple of routes for terrific TDs.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Positives:
- 2 pick-6s were the difference in the game.
- Terry Williams had the best game by a Lions returner this year, with 341 combined return yards, including a 90-yard missed field goal return. That’s 75 more yards than the B.C. offence put up.
- Sean Whyte is underappreciated. He was purrfect on 4 FG attempts and 4 converts. Mark Liegghio, on the other hand, missed 3 FG attempts.
- James Butler and the B.C. offensive line. Butler rushed 14 times for 104 yards (an average of 7.4 yards) as the Lions outrushed the Bombers by 54 yards, thanks to some strong blocking by Jarell Broxton and the 4 regulars in the O-line.

Negatives:
- The B.C. defence just can’t get off the field. They gave up far too many second-down conversions,
many of them set up by 9-yard gains on first down.
- Vernon Adams. We were due to see Bad VA tonight, and we got it. He was slow to make his reads, off target with many of his throws, and often looked lost in the pocket. In contrast with the Bombers, who took advantage of Dru Brown’s mobility by getting him outside the pocket to put pressure on the B.C. defence, the Lions kept Adams in the pocket and tried to make him play like Nathan Rourke. Adams has had a couple of good games where he completed over 75 percent of his passes, but unlike Rourke he can’t be expected to do that consistently.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

-Sure hope Rhymes is okay. Completely a dirty play by Brandon Alexander body slamming him after it was clear Rhymes had let up after the catch. What are the officials watching?

-As Gulio said on the post-game, they will need to clean a lot of things up on Friday to get a win against an Elks team that is carrying a gorilla on its back with one last shot this season to end its lengthy losing streak at home.

- Keeping the 5-foot-11 and unsure Adams in the pocket all the time makes it apparent to me the Lions are content with him running Rourke's offence now that they seem to know he is returning. As Farhan said the plan is to remove Rourke from the 6-game on Monday and he will take regular reps all next week at practice then elevate him to starter status the week of Oct. 24th.

-the defence will sure be glad to see hm back and hopefully the return of those long time consuming drives too. They have lost an edge over the 2nd half of the season. Getting Gwacham back will help but Betts' play has really fallen off.
Two key veteran guys at the start of the season that now have lesser roles are Lokombo and Purifoy thanks to the emergence Hladuk and Rugamba.
I think Purifoy was more involved at SAM being closer to the line of scrimmage. He is a good tackler and can support the run as well. Bo lost his starter's job to an injury and has gone from the league's MOP Canadian in 2021 to a situational LB. I've wondered if this has made an impact on the defence's overall play.

-refreshing and much needed to see Terry Williams big night returning kicks.
maxlion
Legend

One thing I didn't understand was the illegal kickoff call at the end of the game. For some reason, the TSN camera focussed on one Bomber running down the field. Then Terry Williams picked up the ball with one foot out of bounds, and somehow the Lions got the ball at their 50. JC Abbott's column refers to a "loophole" that Lucky Whitehead told Williams about. Does anyone know what happened there?
Alputt
Champion

Criticism of VA Jr may be justified... But that was a heck of an entertaining game from the stands and the crowd was more into it than any game save possibly the home opener.
dodger
Rookie

They explained on the radio. If a player is out of bounds when he picks up the ball. The ball is out of bounds. Lions coach said he had just talked about the rule with Williams.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Alputt wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:48 am
Criticism of VA Jr may be justified... But that was a heck of an entertaining game from the stands and the crowd was more into it than any game save possibly the home opener.
And ultimately this is all that really matters. Lions’ efforts under Doman have been fantastic. They marketed the heck out of the game and offered discounted deals on tickets knowing the importance of a big crowd and atmosphere.

Wonder when they will start the push to sell Western semi final tickets? They have their work cut out for them given it’s not part of the season ticket package. But a 1 pm kickoff means they can attract a larger out of town fan base
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:33 am
Positives:
- 2 pick-6s were the difference in the game.
- Terry Williams had the best game by a Lions returner this year, with 341 combined return yards, including a 90-yard missed field goal return. That’s 75 more yards than the B.C. offence put up.
- Sean Whyte is underappreciated. He was purrfect on 4 FG attempts and 4 converts. Mark Liegghio, on the other hand, missed 3 FG attempts.
- James Butler and the B.C. offensive line. Butler rushed 14 times for 104 yards (an average of 7.4 yards) as the Lions outrushed the Bombers by 54 yards, thanks to some strong blocking by Jarell Broxton and the 4 regulars in the O-line.

Negatives:
- The B.C. defence just can’t get off the field. They gave up far too many second-down conversions,
many of them set up by 9-yard gains on first down.
- Vernon Adams. We were due to see Bad VA tonight, and we got it. He was slow to make his reads, off target with many of his throws, and often looked lost in the pocket. In contrast with the Bombers, who took advantage of Dru Brown’s mobility by getting him outside the pocket to put pressure on the B.C. defence, the Lions kept Adams in the pocket and tried to make him play like Nathan Rourke. Adams has had a couple of good games where he completed over 75 percent of his passes, but unlike Rourke he can’t be expected to do that consistently.
This is all indisputably true!

VA's 1st pass attempt produced an 'oh oh' in most astute observers.

Yet the Lions playbook that worked brilliantly with Rourke hasn't changed or altered anything to fit their new QB that I can see.
There's no rhyme or reason to a lot of the Lions play calls if you look at situational tactics. VA is no drop back QB.

Lots of Bomber fans who I think are Lions fans if it's not the Bombers made it a fun atmosphere. At least where I was sitting. Woman next to me who is a Lions fan and who worked with my friend years ago bought tickets for a mix of Bomber (her mom and dad) and Lion fans so it was fun. On a Lions TD the Bomber guy in their jersey was fist pumping everyone.

The problem in football teams a win like can be uplifting yet is shortlived when your being outcoached.

That illegal kickoff call caught me off guard as I first thought the call was against BC (as I was at the end where Williams foot was OB) for maybe playing a ball after deliberately going OB. When they took it to the 50, I thought maybe something else occurred as that seemed odd that the Lions would be rewarded for a player going OB fielding in an in bounds kick. I suspect a rules change coming up there.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy