Empire Stadium

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

If any of you are curious about what old Empire Stadium (1954-1982) looked like or simply want to stroll down memory lane, here is some extensive footage from someone's 8MM or "Super 8" movie camera.

This was shot for a seemingly sold-out Jehovah's Witness event called the "Peace On Earth Assembly" in mid-July of 1969 (some might want to turn the sound off :wink: ),

Of note, this was the last year of real grass. The facility switched to Tartan Turf (3M) less than a year later. Gone too in the Spring of 1970 was the cinder track that framed the grass surface of Empire, replaced by a synthetic track.

At 2:37, you can get a good look at the end-zone, featuring the McDonald's Quarterback Club section and the "Export" (cigarettes) scoreboard and glorious mountain view. At 6:21 is a nice pan of the West stands with the PNE rides going on in the background. Great shots of the wooden rollercoaster at 7:26!

Enjoy.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Brings back memories of being totally soaked. :rotf: :rotf:
Walt67
Starter

I have also posted this question on the BC Lions history thread, but does anyone remember the name of the fantastically no-nonsense stadium public announcer at Empire in the 60s? He had the same style as the Maple Leafs' old Paul Morris.
zeppo
Starter

David wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:29 pm
If any of you are curious about what old Empire Stadium (1954-1982) looked like or simply want to stroll down memory lane, here is some extensive footage from someone's 8MM or "Super 8" movie camera.

This was shot for a seemingly sold-out Jehovah's Witness event called the "Peace On Earth Assembly" in mid-July of 1969 (some might want to turn the sound off :wink: ),

Of note, this was the last year of real grass. The facility switched to Tartan Turf (3M) less than a year later. Gone too in the Spring of 1970 was the cinder track that framed the grass surface of Empire, replaced by a synthetic track.

At 2:37, you can get a good look at the end-zone, featuring the McDonald's Quarterback Club section and the "Export" (cigarettes) scoreboard and glorious mountain view.
It looks like the south end scoreboard had not gone up yet. There also appears to be more bleachers in the north end than
I remember.

Also, still lots of snow on The Lions and Seymour for the middle of July.
MarkoBC
prospect

Brings back memories. My Dad took my younger brother and me to one Lions game at Empire Stadium in the mid-seventies. It was in the evening, dark and cold. I remember steam rising off my hot dog and hot chocolate and a layer of fog hanging over the turf. And the field wasn’t flat but seem to have a slight rise. I loved it.
To be honest I’m no longer a fan of BC Place. Yes, it’s dry but with the Lions struggling to sell over 20k it feels too cavernous and dated and on hot days it can have a not pleasant odour, like the smell of food and beer in a locker room. Maybe a new Empire Stadium with a 40k capacity and larger roof? Seattle thrives with an outdoor stadium.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

The field was designed with a slight rise in the middle to aid in water runoff.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

Walt67 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:27 am
I have also posted this question on the BC Lions history thread, but does anyone remember the name of the fantastically no-nonsense stadium public announcer at Empire in the 60s? He had the same style as the Maple Leafs' old Paul Morris.
Just give me a bit of time and I will try to dig that up for you. I recall reading it somewhere (possibly one of John Wirtanen's books) I just don't know where. :wink:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Walt67
Starter

David wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:21 pm
Walt67 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:27 am
Just give me a bit of time and I will try to dig that up for you. I recall reading it somewhere (possibly one of John Wirtanen's books) I just don't know where. :wink:

Thanks. It really made an impression on me as a kid in the Woodward's section - so adult. And that reminds me of an era when 11-year-olds in droves could go out at night on the bus alone to a big event - boy, things have really, really changed.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

If anyone has a program from that era, it'd be noted inside of it.

I've racking my brain to recall who that announcer and for some reason I keep coming back to something like Bill S_______ and also a connection to Killarney HS football as a coach in the 60s BUT I may be connecting the wrong dots.

Here's a story of Dal Richards and the Lions and Roar, you Lions Roar:

https://beefeaterband.wordpress.com/dal-richards/

The B.C.Lions FC

“Come on and roar you Lions, roar….”

"Over 20,000 people laughed the first time Dal Richards played that song in 1954. They laughed because the Lions were funny in their own futility, a football team which had been freshly moulded out of everyone else’s hand-me-downs and have-nots. That is why Richards, a musician, and football, a sport began their long romance. Don Mckenzie, Stan James, Bill Morgan, and Ken Stauffer were directors of the newest team in the Western Interprovincial Football Union. With Tiny Rader, Jack LaBelle, Art Mercer and others, they had provided the impetus to get the league’s fifth franchise."
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Here's a story about Dal Richards: In one of the games at Empire Stadium, Lions defensive back Craig Murray ran into the old wooden goal posts at full speed and was injured. While Murray was being attended to by medical staff, Dal Richards and his band started playing "Happy Days are here again"
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:32 pm
Slight might be an understatement. In the final 2 or 3 years I had STs for the second half of the season in Section X Row 7. If I recall that was around the 20 at on the south end of the field. I swear when somebody was running down the far sideline inside the 25 you could only see him from the knees up. You couldn't tell if he was at the 25 or the 5. It was like he was disappearing over the horizon.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
zeppo
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:35 pm

Slight might be an understatement. In the final 2 or 3 years I had STs for the second half of the season in Section X Row 7. If I recall that was around the 20 at on the south end of the field. I swear when somebody was running down the far sideline inside the 25 you could only see him from the knees up. You couldn't tell if he was at the 25 or the 5. It was like he was disappearing over the horizon.
Ha Ha! I remember Leon Bright talking about going back to take his first kick off at Empire Stadium. He
confessed to being a little uncomfortable with not being able to see the football until it was well on its way.
David
Team Captain

zeppo wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:21 pm
It looks like the south end scoreboard had not gone up yet. There also appears to be more bleachers in the north end than
I remember.

Also, still lots of snow on The Lions and Seymour for the middle of July.
According to a 1970 press release that I own (it highlighted the 1970 season, release date unknown), there was $970,000 in improvements to Empire Stadium, including the artificial field. $900K was spent on the turf, and another $70K "was spent to improve facilities for the fans." While it doesn't mention the south scoreboard specifically, it was installed in 1970.

What the release does mention is, "...the construction of modern spacious coaching offices with locker space and shower. A shoe bank was created and another first saw the club introduce Canada's first name plate jerseys. A large team room for meetings, pre-viewing game films and which also served as a post-game meeting place for players and wives, was also built at the stadium, by the club."

As for the snow, can't explain that one. I do vividly recall my sister's 13th birthday on June 5, 1969 as Vancouver was experiencing a rare heat wave.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:35 pm
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:32 pm
I didn't remember it being that bad but I was only a boy at the time and didn't pay that much attention. Of course being at field level would provide a different perspective. Isn't that why they call it running downhill?😁
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
cms22
Starter

should build a multiple purpose stadium in Gas Town or out in Langley..... outdoor/indoor/retractable...... I like the idea of dual-retractable if it's possible 1) to cover stands, 2) to cover players. maybe just cover fans. i.e. just #1

I remember whitecaps owner couldn't build in gas town because of neighbourhood (thought that was questionable but not crazy)....... but in Winnipeg, they didn't build in oint Douglas because of the neighbourhood. completely laughable. horrible neighbourhood