Cgy BC Dustup After Game: Cam Judge suspended

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

So does anyone have the 411 on this?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
cms22
Starter

more info coming forward.. didn't realize at first that one incident was in the parking lot after the game. police had to break it up.

I think, unless info comes forward showing one being a complete victim here, that they both deserve suspensions. this went way beyond "he started it".... and a certain amount of trash-talk is normal (might have gone beyond this..... but the CFL is bad in promoting trash-talk - IMO)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Farhan Lalji comments on potential league discipline for the incident, with video of Whitehead staggering after being punched. He said Whitehead is still dealing with the after-effects.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/~2524160
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The facts are unclear other than there were some Lion players outside the Calgary dressing room after the game.

Farhan says that Judge's sister lives in the Lower Mainland and something might have been said.

Whitehead put out how Judge has to stand on the sucker punch.

What were the Lions coaching staff doing as they must have known about the dust up post game? WTF!!!

A suspension might do him good if he's talking that sister and family kind of stuff. Judge is more valuable to Calgary than Whitehead is to BC. I'd take that trade off if I were the Lions. I think Whitehead works hard in practice and does his job but he could grow up a bit and keep his twirly hat away from the sidelines.

Talk about freaking unprofessional and bordering on criminal - waiting outside a team's locker room!!!! Haven't heard of that recently.

A distraction from what was a good win.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

So far it seems to be a "he said, she said" thing. I happened to be up early yesterday as I had a 1 hour commute to my work for the week at a mill north of PG. Since most of the radio was tuned to the Queen's funeral I gave Sportsnet 650 a shot on the possibility with fall and winter approaching that the atmospheric conditions might let me pick it up at 6am. As it turned out I was able to pick it up. Halford & Brough actually opened their show talking about the Lions game. I thought oh no, all they want to talk about is this dustup. To their credit about 80% of the 5 minutes was spent talking about the game and Vernon Adams providing the much needed solid QB performance that will be key to a home playoff date. They did broach the dustup subject but didn't try to sensationalize it. Paraphrasing here but they said that Vancouver media is really only getting second hand info from the Lions players side of things and similarly the Calgary media is only getting second hand info from the Stamps players side.

We'll just have to see what, if any, discipline comes out of it. Whatever happened shouldn't have happened. I'm of the opinion whatever fines or suspensions get handed down will be deserved. If the Lions take the brunt of that so be it.

As to the idea of waiting in the parking lot the McMahon set up isn't exactly one that makes things totally unavoidable. Both locker rooms are on the south end of the stadium. I'd assume Stampeder players park in the lot immediately outside the stadium locker rooms. I'd also assume that the Lions would have chartered back to Vancouver after the game meaning the bus taking them and all their gear to the airport would also be waiting there leaving plenty of time for loitering before it was ready to pull out.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone, you're right about the locker room set up in Calgary and we don't and won't know the exact details even after discipline.

I get it that players want to go to the aid of their teammate but for professionals, this clearly stomps on the message that the Lions want to make after a great win. The Lions don't need this kind of distraction given the challenge of selling tickets.

Football and DBs are synonymous with trash talking and it's something that seems to go with the game. I'd prefer if it were my players that they just STFU and played.

Talking never puts points on the board and never stops a scoring play.

As much as Lucky Whitehead is a good worker, team guy, etc a game suspension of him for a suspension of Cameron Judge is a decent trade off given that his recent production in catches and yards is replaceable ... I think.

Given how little deception in plays used by the Lions it's not been rocket science to defend him and cut down any space he has to make big plays. I'm not sure he even fits in this kind of offence.

https://www.cfl.ca/players/cameron-judge/163145/

https://www.cfl.ca/players/lucky-whitehead/163481/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The CFL has suspended Judge for one game for punching Whitehead.

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

So, no disciplinary action against Whitehead likely means no concrete evidence of alleged derogatory statements that Whitehead may have said to Judge about Judge's family etc.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

From other reports it sounds like whatever happened in the parking lot never escalated beyond screaming and yelling.
almo89
Legend

DanoT wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:19 am
So, no disciplinary action against Whitehead likely means no concrete evidence of alleged derogatory statements that Whitehead may have said to Judge about Judge's family etc.
Yeah or the league determined that what Whitehead allegedly said was just normal trash talk and didn't warrant any further discipline.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It seems that Lucky got lucky as I guess there was a violation of the league's policies on his account.

3Down story on it:

https://3downnation.com/2022/09/20/cfl- ... whitehead/

While it appears to be a good result for BC in the suspension the downside is that this will fire up the Calgary Def even more than the narrow loss.

It's tough enough to win back to back and with a QB who is just in his 2nd start but it's harder when you give them extra motivational fuel by trash-talking.

Whitehead will have a target on him and if he lets it become an in-game distraction, it won't help as personal battles other than the physical battle don't win football games.

I'm not sure what kind of a HC Rick Campbell is when it comes to discipline and expectations but hopefully he'll be clear that distractions aren't okay - it's about the W.

On a lighter note, 3 Down has a story on ex CFL and Lion QB Danny O'Brien being pranked by Eli Manning. Kind of funny.

https://3downnation.com/2022/09/19/form ... ral-video/
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I'd have to think that any trash talk that would warrant a suspension would really have to be extreme. Along hate speech lines so to speak. I mean if you call someone a Son of a B, technically you are making disparaging remarks about a person's family member. Remember, sticks and stones.... I wouldn't be at all surprised if Whitehead played a role in this but essentially, what took place, if it was removed to another venue, would be a criminal assault. So for anyone, who might be inclined to fall into the "he had it coming" camp. Getting off with a 1 game suspension for what could actually be a life long criminal conviction is an absolute gift.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The Tweeter of the Judge suspension in response to a question about any word on Lucky Whitehead discipline said this:

Danny Austin
@DannyAustin_9
Replying to
@hilzzz04
I have not, but that doesn't mean more will not be coming. In general , league discipline gets handed out on Wednesdays.

UPDATED:

Danny Austin
@DannyAustin_9
I am told that we should not be expecting any further disciplinary measures to be announced related to the incidents at the end of Saturday's game between the Lions and Stampeders
12:32 PM Β· Sep 20, 2022

And fakeGAINER tweets that:

π™›π™–π™ π™šπ™‚π˜Όπ™„π™‰π™€π™
@fakeGAINER
The #CFL has fined the Saskatchewan Roughriders for their role in the BC Lions-Calgary Stampeders parking lot incident this past weekend.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:45 pm
DanoT wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:19 am
Yeah or the league determined that what Whitehead allegedly said was just normal trash talk and didn't warrant any further discipline.
That's what I'm thinking. If Lucky told Judge his sister dressed like a two-bit hooker or his mother wore army boots by definition those would be derogatory. As one offs neither would come close to crossing the line to be worth disciplinary action or a punch in the nose. I can see if Lucky found he was hitting an opponent's nerve with an inane comment and continued to push that button all game long then he might expect a physical reaction depending on how thick the skin is of said opponent. Football and hockey players are notorious for trying to get under the skins of opponents. Just like kids in the playground if they find the right button to push they will be relentless.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Calgary beat reporter Danny Austin says he’s been told that no further discipline is expected. Judge says he doesn’t plan to appeal the suspension.

TSN has more details:
https://www.tsn.ca/calgary-stampeders-c ... -1.1851245