Lions v Tiger-Cats July 21

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

It's nice to have a clear QB advantage. First time in a long time.

A lot of east teams have bad records but respectable personnel. Hamilton is one of them.

Still, we're better. So that's nice. A lot of individual units, at times, could have played better but our personnel in two of the three areas has improved enough to win more than we lose.

Special Teams is that area. And a big part of why Special Teams is deficient is because our roster isn't particularly deep, perhaps due to injury, perhaps due to drafting. But, assuming adequate coaching, that improves with health and time.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

CrazyCanuck89 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:16 am
DanoT wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:20 am
Lions looked like Rich Stubler coached D: bend but don't break, giving up lots of yardage but very few points.

From the start of the season I have maintained that Lions have arguably the best set of DBs (especially when considering SAM LB Purifoy is a DB) in the CFL. I now
think Ti-Cats have the second best DBs.

Not what I would call a very entertaining win but a satisfying and needed to keep pace with the rest of the west, victory.
I don't think many people call the SAM linebacker a defensive back, if they did people would be referring to him as a nickelback. The position has never changed, only the body type.
"Nickelback" is a term used in US football when a LB is replaced with a 5th DB and if another LB is replaced with a DB, it is called a "dimeback" position.

In the CFL with a 12 man roster, there already are 5 DBs. Most CFL teams go with a 6th DB at SAM LB on a full time basis. Purifoy is great example as he has played SAM, FS, and DHB. In other words if the body type of a SAM LB is that of a DB, then the position is a DB's.
David
Team Captain

Would love to know why Maksymic has taken away Rourke's scrambling, making him a predominantly pocket passer. In the Elks and Argo games, he was such a dual threat. At any moment, he would tuck the ball and run, so that defenses were really at a loss to know how to defend us. Give him space and he could burn you with his accuracy. Play him too tight and he could burn you with his feet.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Maybe Maksymic has not taken Rourke's ability to run but rather the opposing team is defending him differently.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

If you look at the box score from last night, the Lions were out performed in most areas. Dane Evans had a lower pass percentage (thanks to 5 pass knockdowns and 2 INTs) but he threw for more yards and less INTs than Rourke. The Ticats also ran for more yards than BC. On special teams the TiCats out performed the Lions on kick-offs and punts (advantage Whyte for FG). BC won that game because of defence, penalties, and turnovers.
David
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:48 pm
The Ticats also ran for more yards than BC.
This is a concern. The Ti-Cats ranked last in rushing going into the game and had injuries on their Oline.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

DanoT wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:41 pm
CrazyCanuck89 wrote:
DanoT wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:20 am
Lions looked like Rich Stubler coached D: bend but don't break, giving up lots of yardage but very few points.

From the start of the season I have maintained that Lions have arguably the best set of DBs (especially when considering SAM LB Purifoy is a DB) in the CFL. I now
think Ti-Cats have the second best DBs.

Not what I would call a very entertaining win but a satisfying and needed to keep pace with the rest of the west, victory.
I don't think many people call the SAM linebacker a defensive back, if they did people would be referring to him as a nickelback. The position has never changed, only the body type.
"Nickelback" is a term used in US football when a LB is replaced with a 5th DB and if another LB is replaced with a DB, it is called a "dimeback" position.

In the CFL with a 12 man roster, there already are 5 DBs. Most CFL teams go with a 6th DB at SAM LB on a full time basis. Purifoy is great example as he has played SAM, FS, and DHB. In other words if the body type of a SAM LB is that of a DB, then the position is a DB's.
Not really a U.S term, I heard Duane Ford refer to the position as the SAM linebacker, strong-side linebacker, nickle backer.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

Belize City Lion wrote:
If you look at the box score from last night, the Lions were out performed in most areas. Dane Evans had a lower pass percentage (thanks to 5 pass knockdowns and 2 INTs) but he threw for more yards and less INTs than Rourke. The Ticats also ran for more yards than BC. On special teams the TiCats out performed the Lions on kick-offs and punts (advantage Whyte for FG). BC won that game because of defence, penalties, and turnovers.
To be fair you have to put Rourke's first interception into context. He put it right on the numbers to Lucky and it should have been caught.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CrazyCanuck89 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:55 am
Belize City Lion wrote:
To be fair you have to put Rourke's first interception into context. He put it right on the numbers to Lucky and it should have been caught.
I’ve always maintained that turnovers are the most important stat in determining the outcome of games. In the first quarter, the Lions turned the ball over on a failed QB sneak at the Hamilton 23, and then Rourke’s pass that bounced off Whitehead’s numbers was intercepted at the Hamilton 26. If the Lions had scored on those two drives, it would have been a much different game.

Ultimately, the Lions won the turnover battle 5-3 as Hamilton turned the ball over four times in the fourth quarter, including three turnovers on downs.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

CrazyCanuck89 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:52 am
DanoT wrote:
CrazyCanuck89 wrote:

Not really a U.S term, I heard Duane Ford refer to the position as the SAM linebacker, strong-side linebacker, nickle backer.
Just because Duane Ford uses them doesn't mean they're correct. He (and others who should know better) also keeps using the term free safety. That and nickleback are most definitely US terms.

Strong side is traditionally the linebacker (and in US the strong side safety) who lines up across from the tight end. Tight ends are a rarity now but it still refers to the side the blocking is heavier on.
ziggy
Legend

CrazyCanuck89 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:55 am
Belize City Lion wrote:
I wonder if our QB puts to much zip on the balls sometimes. Reminds me a bit of Brett Farve who reportedly broke receivers fingers. While receivers have to adapt to catching these hot throws, a deflection can more easily result in a interception. Lot to be said for having touch.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Two of Rourke's interceptions this year have come by lineman dropping into coverage. Teams are beginning to adjust to Rourke's tendencies.
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:30 pm
Two of Rourke's interceptions this year have come by lineman dropping into coverage. Teams are beginning to adjust to Rourke's tendencies.

Yes and no. Jeffcoat fooled Nathan, no question. However, Howsare's INT can be laid squarely at the feet of Whitehead who deflected the ball into the waiting arms of the TiCat Dlineman. The end result was the same but the way they were intercepted was different. IMO.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:45 pm
Belize City Lion wrote:
The Ticats also ran for more yards than BC.
This is a concern. The Ti-Cats ranked last in rushing going into the game and had injuries on their Oline.

- Just spent a few minutes re-watching Hamilton's last couple of drives to try and figure out the Lions d-line rotation. Is it scripted or situational? Sure seems like it is scripted to me.
On the Ti-Cats long drive that start on their own 10 with 4 min to go and ended with the Sayles 3rd down knockdown in the end zone, it began with Cherry and Debaille at DTs. It stayed that way for 5 or 6 plays then Miles Fox and Bonner replaced them. When the Ti-Cats got inside the 30, it was Josh Banks and Fox. The DEs was a 3-man rotation only between Gwacham, Betts and Menard.
How well this group performs is going to go a long way to determining how the next 5 weeks will go with 3 against the Riders and one against the Stamps. Sure hope we see Woody Barron soon.

-The game sure looked a whole lot like how the Bombers somehow swept a home and home with Ottawa at the start of the season when they were basically dominated statistically but gave up few points

-I'm hoping they are saving those RPO situations with Rourke keeping the ball himself in these bigger games on the horizon. I definitely get it. The fewer hits your franchise player takes the better. It's just so telegraphed at times when Butler is going to get the ball and opponents are basically on top of him soon after the handoff.

- Scarfone not targeted once the entire game. Burnham sounds like he will be back on Aug 6 against the Elks. Hopefully Pearson is ready for Friday's game at least. The extra import LB they dressed instead (Omar Fortt) took a bad roughing call on a kick return and that was it.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:52 am
CrazyCanuck89 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:52 am
DanoT wrote:

Just because Duane Ford uses them doesn't mean they're correct. He (and others who should know better) also keeps using the term free safety. That and nickleback are most definitely US terms.

Strong side is traditionally the linebacker (and in US the strong side safety) who lines up across from the tight end. Tight ends are a rarity now but it still refers to the side the blocking is heavier on.
Actually the safety in the CFL is known as the free safety. It used to be known as the middle safety, back in the seventies.

We do use the strongside and weakside terms in Canadian football. The only diffrence the

Fieldside/wideside= strongside
Boundaryside/shortside= weakside

Today's SAM or SLB is still considered a linebacker even though, he has the body of a defensive back.

It used to be that teams had the left linebacker and the right linebacker. Teams used to not really care about the strongside or weakside. Hamilton used to have a 6'4 240lbs linebacker, named Leo Ezerins, who played the left linebacker spot.