Changes in Montreal

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dusty
Champion

Both Khari Jones and Barron Miles have been let go with GM Danny Macoicia taking over the HC duties and Noel Thorpe handling the DC duties until the end of season. I wonder if this is the precursor to Thorpe's getting the HC job he has been looking for a while.

With Redblacks and Argo's not doing well, I wasn't expecting Al's to be the first to pull the trigger...
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Macoicia, imo = a downgrade at the HC position. Baron Miles getting canned is also a head scratcher.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I've expected this since the day Macoicia was hired as GM. Now he can show the league once again what a terrible HC he is.

Hasn't Montreal already had enough of GMs who think they can coach? The more things change...
cromartie
Hall of Famer

You're a missed field goal away from being 2-2 but sure, fire the Head Coach and D Coordinator. That will help.

Oh well. Not our circus, not our clowns.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Maybe there were more issues there than what we saw on the field of play. Tre Watson's surprising release was apparently due to not one, but two incidents with team mates and/or coaches during the last game. Could be some underlying internal problems. If there's stuff going on between Miles and his players and Jones is failing to control it perhaps that's why the sudden change?

I wouldn't call them issues but often there seems to be a disconnect when a new GM inherits an incumbent coach as Maciocia did with Jones. There's always speculation the new GM would want his own HC sooner than later unless the two quickly develop a solid working raport. One would think if Maciocia wanted to make a change he might have done it during the most recent offseason. Stern does come across as a hands-on owner, perhaps impatiently so. That makes it hard to guess if this move is all Maciocia's doing or if it might fall under the "what interests my boss fantasizes the hell out of me" category. Apparently Jones was in the last year of his contract so he was somewhat of a lame duck. That he wasn't awarded an extension before the season is a sign that he wasn't on the most stable of ground. If both Jones and Miles contracts were set to expire at year end then there's very little in terms of FOPs cap implications to endure.

I'm not a fan of midseason coaching changes but with all 4 East clubs floundering around playing well below the level of talent they possess making a move early might be just what a team needs to quickly separate themselves from the rest.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Hambrone, all of what you say is most likely true but I think everyone agrees that Macoicia isn't really an upgrade at HC.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:15 am
Hambrone, all of what you say is most likely true but I think everyone agrees that Macoicia isn't really an upgrade at HC.
Whether he is or isn't remains to be seen. Sometimes a different voice makes a bigger difference than the coaching skills themselves. Remember Greg Mohns?

Main reason I don't like midseason coaching changes is they tend to have a short shelf life. If the change creates improved short-term results which can happen with only a partial season left the team is almost obligated to give the replacement a longer term deal. And of course the pool of available candidates is far shallower midseason than after the season. I've seen all too often where a midseason replacement gets extended and within 12 to 24 months he is being replaced midseason. That's why I don't mind seeing a GM with coaching experience step in temporarily as Maciocia is doing.............as long as he's doing it with the intent of it being temporary until he can fill the job permanently in the offseason when there are far more candidates available.
OV:54-40
Starter

DanoT wrote:

What exactly has K. Jones proven as a HC ? - been blown out the last 2 East play-off games.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

OV:54-40 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:48 pm
DanoT wrote:

What exactly has K. Jones proven as a HC ? - been blown out the last 2 East play-off games.
Wally got blown out of lots of playoff games, so imo your argument doesn't hold water. There was an improvement in Als play once K. Jones became HC.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

The way Edmonton is going tonight, maybe they should change Joneses :rotf:
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:23 pm
The way Edmonton is going tonight, maybe they should change Joneses :rotf:
The way Edmonton's QBs have played I wouldn't be surprised if Vernon Adams is playing for a new Coach Jones by next week. I hope not. Chris Jones will destroy Adams.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

For whatever it's worth this 3D article seems to echo my navel gazing about the somewhat surprising sacking of Jones and Miles.

https://3downnation.com/2022/07/07/it-j ... sidelines/