Preseason game at calgary

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Reg18
Starter

Is the algary game on tv? What channel?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Reg18 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 9:09 am
Is the algary game on tv? What channel?
Radio only on the Lions radio network, which includes AM730 Vancouver and Radio NL (610 AM) in Kamloops, among others.

Here's Matt Baker's game preview:
https://www.bclions.com/2022/05/27/game ... tampeders/
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Looking at the game day roster, there are 2 names that I recognize on D from last season: Edwards-Cooper and Johnson and 2 on O: Norman and Peterman. This will be a difficult game to follow via radio broadcast.
KnightofCydonia
Starter

First quarter almost done and there's no score yet, but Calgary has had 3 drives and 2 of those ended in picks. So a couple of nice plays on D (helped by some confusion on Calgary's offence, but still)
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Intercepting Bo in the end zone....that's a way to make the team!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

41-6 final. Not an unexpected result given the Lions' roster consisted of rookies.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Stampeders played their starters, blitzed the rookie-laden B.C. lineup and capitalized on B.C. penalties and special-teams errors to beat the Lions 41-6, but the Lions can take some positives from the game, at least judging by the radio broadcast and the game stats.

The B.C. secondary held Calgary starting QB Bo Levi Mitchell to 3 of 10 passing for 37 yards in the first quarter, picking up two interceptions and forcing a turnover on downs.

Several Lions' players who have performed well in camp came through in the game. QB Michael O'Connor was named player of the game on the Lions' radio broadcast, completing 17 of 23 passes for 151 yards and a 38-yard TD to rookie WR Jamarius Way. WR Montay Crockett had 5 catches for 80 yards.

Defensively, Tyneil Cooper and Quincy Mauger solidified their chances of making the roster by intercepting Mitchell. Cooper also had 5 tackles, second on the team behind linebacker Josh Woods.

The Lions outpassed and outgained the Stamps on offence but fell apart on special teams, giving up a punt-return TD and blocked punt, missing 2 field goals and taking 13 penalties for 145 yards while the more experienced stamps took just 4 penalties for 30 yards.

Kevin Thomson, who has been competing with O'Connor for the backup QB position, completed 9 of 20 passes for 129 yards but left the game when he was hit while throwing a late pick-6. There was no immediate word on the severity of his injury.

Here are the game stats:
https://www.cfl.ca/games/6205/bc-lions- ... tampeders/
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Not concerned by the lopsided result but do wonder were we the only team to leave so many veterans off the roster for week one as the other three games were all relatively close.

Ultimately it comes to will there be any new additions on our regular season roster other than the veteran CFL free agents we signed for a team that finished 5-9 last year?

Maybe BC FAN or Hambone have an idea based on their excellent training camp updates.
Stove Richardson’s injury is huge and Woody Barton’s ongoing passport issue is another significant blow. How would DL Tim Williams have looked compared to our incumbents?
If we roll into the season opener with the same starting d-line except for the Betts/Menard rotation it will be a concern.
I wouldn’t say a Kiante Hardin losing his roster spot is solving a 2021 problem area.

On the offensive side, I would have liked to have seen at least Knevel play yesterday given his lack of experience at guard.

Who starts at center, replaces Rainey as a 2nd American RB/returner and 4th American receiver behind Burnham, Whitehead and Rhymes seem to be our only questions on offence. Remember that 4th receiver almost was Kenny Lawlor.

And after yesterday’s kicking display all I can say is thank god Sean Whyte wanted to come home to be a firefighter and finish his career as a Lion.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

I didn't mind the almost all rookie lineup as I figure it will make the final pre season game more of a regular roster dress rehearsal. They might have 1 or 2 rookies who they want to take a second look at but hopefully they now have the starting roster at least, mostly figured out.

Given that last season Lions had something like 8 or 9 rookie (or 1st year CFL) starters last season, I am quite happy if they only start 1 or 2 or even no rookies this season. So what I am saying is, last season with the new GMs and coaching staff and coming off a last place finish from 2019, it was the year to turn the roster upside down, whereas this season is a year of building continuity of roster and consistency of play.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:09 am
Not concerned by the lopsided result but do wonder were we the only team to leave so many veterans off the roster for week one as the other three games were all relatively close.

Ultimately it comes to will there be any new additions on our regular season roster other than the veteran CFL free agents we signed for a team that finished 5-9 last year?

Maybe BC FAN or Hambone have an idea based on their excellent training camp updates.
Stove Richardson’s injury is huge and Woody Barton’s ongoing passport issue is another significant blow. How would DL Tim Williams have looked compared to our incumbents?
If we roll into the season opener with the same starting d-line except for the Betts/Menard rotation it will be a concern.
Re the lopsided score: Of the 35-point margin, 31 were due to B.C. special-teams miscues (2 missed FGs, a missed XP, punt returned for a TD, blocked punt that set up a TD and 2 short punts returned into scoring territory to set up a Calgary TD and FG). Otherwise it was a close game between B.C.'s offensive and defensive rookies and Calgary's veteran-heavy roster, with the Lions having the edge in passing and total yardage.

Assuming B.C.'s first-team offence and defence remains healthy, the only players from this game who have a chance at cracking the starting lineup are Phil Norman, who has been splitting reps with with Peter Godber at centre, and Jalon Edwards-Cooper and Tyneil Cooper, who have been competing for a starting HB position. Others are playing for backup and practice roster spots.

The Lions signed free-agent DTs Steve Richardson and Woody Baron in the offseason for a reason. The DL remains their position of greatest need. The door is open for anyone to step up and claim a spot in the rotation. I don't know if anyone did so in this game. No one has stood out in camp.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:09 am

I wouldn’t say a Kiante Hardin losing his roster spot is solving a 2021 problem area.

On the offensive side, I would have liked to have seen at least Knevel play yesterday given his lack of experience at guard.

Who starts at center, replaces Rainey as a 2nd American RB/returner and 4th American receiver behind Burnham, Whitehead and Rhymes seem to be our only questions on offence. Remember that 4th receiver almost was Kenny Lawlor.

And after yesterday’s kicking display all I can say is thank god Sean Whyte wanted to come home to be a firefighter and finish his career as a Lion.
I can't speak to your questions as much as BCF. I was only able to get in the first 3 days of camp before returning to PG last Sunday but will offer some thoughts.

It's certainly not unusual for a team to go heavier with backups on the road, especially if it's their first ex-game. Campbell's explanation was that this game was an exercise in evaluation. The next game will be more about prep for the new season. They have to trim the roster down later today so it made sense to get the bubble guys as much action as possible yesterday to shake out the pecking order for the rest of camp. A lot of yesterday was about deciding who gets the road map and apple today and who gets another week to compete for what is mostly the depth roles.

I won't go as far as to say the opening day line up is set but it would appear the following positions are yet to be settled:
4th starting WR - Hatcher received the majority of 1st unit reps but there are a bunch of others battling it out to make their own cases
Starting C - Godber or Norman
Maybe starting LG but I think Knevel is the guy until he proves otherwise
Interior of DL - Miles Fox who has only been with the club for a couple days got a lot of time in yesterday
FHB/S - TJ Lee has been looking like the 2022 starting S. I wonder though if Mauger might cause a rethink. He was getting a lot of time there on 2nd and 3rd units and apparently showed well yesterday with a tackle, interception and forced fumble. I'm thinking where BCF and I were watching with interest the battle for FHB with Edwards-Cooper and Hardin returning perhaps Mauger might allow them to move Lee back to one of the HB spots. But then we have Tyneil Cooper making a case for himself at HB too along with Sayles who still has 2 more years left on his deal. When it gets down to it the Lions appear to have a wealth of riches when it comes to secondary talent.
KR/PR - toss up amongst a few newcomers but I expect Lucky to play a more prominent role this year. I don't think they will go as far as to make him the primary guy but expect him to get more return opportunities in 2022.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.