2022 CFL draft

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CrazyCanuck89
Starter

OV:54-40 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 3:50 pm
Some young Canadian DEs & DTs including some right out of U Sports ball have made a CFL impact - on their actual D_line positions when given the chance in the past few years; Boateng, Robbie Smith (Argos), Bergland (Stamps) at DE; Acheampong (Argos), S-Spaulding (Stamps) , Benoit Marion (Als draft pick scooped by the Argos) at DT, are some examples of guys who played D-Line reps pretty well right away in the CFL; they may have done very well on STs as well ?

So, - Cherry , Archibald & Pickett - all might push for D-Line reps playing time right out of TC; or they could be written-off as ST guys only who need more time to "develop" to play any D-Line - we shall see. They could also continue to go with the handing D-Line starting jobs to raw rookie Americans who have never played Canadian ball before like last season; maybe Betts & Menard's supposed huge CFL pay-days (but less than Woody Baron) could be axed for some $M$ savings ?

The 2 other D-Linemen drafted are more like long-term projects who might not have it for the pros, but who knows - lots of examples of late round picks panning out, or guys going back for a final year of college ball and then returning to compete next TC. Again though, they could have instead drafted a RB like Tucker or one of several safety prospects to actually compete (get it Hambone?) in areas of need, but maybe those positions are already sewn up with no need for Canadians to compete ?

Most Canadian OTs suffering from "poor footwork" is a classic (hackneyed cliche) - right up there with all Canadian QBs suffering from "weak arm strength", that has been a CFL in the know/expert staple for decades now.
Don't forget Mason Bennett in Hamilton, the Ti-Cats could very well go Canadian at on of the DE spots.
OV:54-40
Starter

Yeah, Bennett could maybe team with draft pick Frederico to perhaps hold down one DE spot (they need to replace J. Davis); Bennett didn't seem to play that much DE for the Ticats last season; i think he got some injury replacement reps at DT (not his position / under-sized there); the Ticats could also hope to sign last year's draft pick DT Mo Diallo, who might be able to play in the rotation right away to spell Laurent some ? But like, D. Joseph, no word there ?
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

Wed May 11, 2022 6:52 pm
Yeah, Bennett could maybe team with draft pick Frederico to perhaps hold down one DE spot (they need to replace J. Davis); Bennett didn't seem to play that much DE for the Ticats last season; i think he got some injury replacement reps at DT (not his position / under-sized there); the Ticats could also hope to sign last year's draft pick DT Mo Diallo, who might be able to play in the rotation right away to spell Laurent some ? But like, D. Joseph, no word there ?
No, both his sacks came from the defensive end position. Their were times where Davis or Howsare would kick inside.

Glad we're finally seeing Canadian defensive ends get some actual reps, instead trying to kick them inside at the CFL level. The Lions showed that with Johnson and Foley, you can go all Canadian at defensive end. They were a great duo.
Starter

CrazyCanuck89 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 6:34 am
Wed May 11, 2022 6:52 pm
No, both his sacks came from the defensive end position. Their were times where Davis or Howsare would kick inside.

Glad we're finally seeing Canadian defensive ends get some actual reps, instead trying to kick them inside at the CFL level. The Lions showed that with Johnson and Foley, you can go all Canadian at defensive end. They were a great duo.
Well, with Menard, Betts, Archibald & Pickett, the Lions could certainly think of going all /mostly Canadian at DE again (Klassen, Hebler, Racette ;o) ) - I'll believe that when i see it though; I wonder if they got the feeling D. Joseph was going to be a write-off / no show, so that's why they drafted 3 more DEs ? Betts is the guy who has something to prove - IMO - very disappointing season last year in lots of playing time - for a guy who has arguably one of the all-time best U Sports ball DE resumes.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Thu May 12, 2022 8:53 am
Well, with Menard, Betts, Archibald & Pickett, the Lions could certainly think of going all /mostly Canadian at DE again (Klassen, Hebler, Racette ;o) ) - I'll believe that when i see it though; I wonder if they got the feeling D. Joseph was going to be a write-off / no show, so that's why they drafted 3 more DEs ? Betts is the guy who has something to prove - IMO - very disappointing season last year in lots of playing time - for a guy who has arguably one of the all-time best U Sports ball DE resumes.
I can see the Lions starting one Canadian DE and rotating several other Canadians on on the DL but one DE spot belongs to Obum Gwacham, a former NFLer who made a strong impression in his first CFL season and seems poised for greater achievements this year.
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 12:18 pm
Thu May 12, 2022 8:53 am
I can see the Lions starting one Canadian DE and rotating several other Canadians on on the DL but one DE spot belongs to Obum Gwacham, a former NFLer who made a strong impression in his first CFL season and seems poised for greater achievements this year.
Yeah - Gwachum could be poised to break-out with a big year; they could always go mostly Canadian at the other DE spot, but also throw Cherry in at DT to maintain a Canadian on the D-line (as one of the 7 only) and then play a second import DE some.

With the 2 National LBs (with depth), that would be 3 NI starters on D; then only need 4 on O (3 interior O-Line + Cottoy or 2 O-Line + 2 receivers (Peterman deserves a long look IMO and i still think Hastings could surprise with a shot) ?.

Maybe the new CBA will change things there though ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lions' 7th round draft pick John Metchie III seems to have done all right for himself. He signed a 4-year contract with the Houston Texans worth a reported $8-millionm US, including a $3-million signing bonus. The signing bonus alone is probably three times as much as any CFL receiver could make in a career.

Canadian receiver John Metchie III signs rookie contract with Houston Texans worth more than $8 million
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Thu May 12, 2022 4:59 pm
Maybe the new CBA will change things there though ?
Anything that might change such things wouldn't come into effect until 2023. Too late in the offseason game to make changes that might impact how teams put together their rosters.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Starter

Daniel Joseph signs with Buffalo Bills; per 3 Down report.
PGSSS74
Rookie

Noah Zerr signs and reports to TC today, after his New York Giants camp. 6'7" 330, should see some live action at some point.