CFLPA strike

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions made it official Sunday by cancelling the first practice of main training camp after CFL Players Association members on 7 of 9 teams went on strike for the first time since 1974. Due to Alberta labour laws, players in Calgary and Edmonton will have to wait three days to join the strike if it isn't resolved sooner.

Farhan Lalji, who seems to have the best insight into the negotiations, insists the two sides are not far apart, but nothing will happen until they start talking again.

Reg18
Starter

I wonder hoch owners are being so agressive,? I don't think it's lions owner. He must be bleeding first the pandemic and now this. How demoralizing for him and I can't see the riders being the problem so it just leaves the eastern teams and Alberta. Methinks it's amn Alberta mindset at work. Alberta no fset sems to be anti union
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Owners like the players enter negotiations with a common objective and try to come out of it with the best deal possible for their interests for the term of the CBA. When Doman bought the Lions well after the Covid shortened season started he did so with eyes and wallet wide open. He knew that the CBA was expiring in a few months and what is happening today was a very real possibility.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Just curious BCF. Have you cruised up by TRU to see if the Lions players might not be holding some workouts on their own like the Bombers?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 1:03 pm
Just curious BCF. Have you cruised up by TRU to see if the Lions players might not be holding some workouts on their own like the Bombers?
I haven't but I wondered if they were, and if they would have access to the field or the Tournament Capital Centre locker rooms. I'll try to swing by TRU in the next few days to check things out.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 1:27 pm
Hambone wrote:
I haven't but I wondered if they were, and if they would have access to the field or the Tournament Capital Centre locker rooms. I'll try to swing by TRU in the next few days to check things out.
I was wondering if they would have access to the locker rooms, weight rooms too. They might have to go book another field somewhere else and go down to Sportchek to buy some footballs. :wink:
JohnnyMusso
Champion

If this strike lasts longer than start of the season, it could seriously damage the league. In some cities, like Vancouver, most people probably don't know or care if the players go on strike. Both sides better get it together soon or the league could be in serious trouble. Some people online already predicting the CFL could fold if this strike lasts a long time. I think it will be over in 2 weeks maximum.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 2:56 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 1:27 pm
Hambone wrote:
I was wondering if they would have access to the locker rooms, weight rooms too. They might have to go book another field somewhere else and go down to Sportchek to buy some footballs. :wink:
I just saw a report on Kamloops TV station CFJC showing the Hillside Stadium field empty other than two players walking back to the dorm from the Tournament Capital Centre. They said most of the players have been working out on their own.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Kamloops TV station CFJC had a couple of good reports on the Lions Wednesday, showing the players practising as a team without uniforms and interacting with kids at Hillside Stadium. Players also discussed the CFLPA strike in detail.

https://cfjctoday.com/2022/05/17/dont-p ... ed-by-cfl/
squishy35
Legend

https://twitter.com/i/status/1526990144129052672

Farhan is optimistic a deal can be done by the end of the day.
squishy35
Legend

https://can01.safelinks.protection.outl ... reserved=0

Farhan updated saying there may be potential for a deal to be voted on this evening.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 12:27 pm

Certainly sounds promising although Farhan tends to be more of a glass half full guy compared to idiot Madani whose CFL glass never has more than a layer of dust at the bottom.

I'm not cancelling my hotel reservation down there yet. Might see you and BCFan there yet for tomorrow afternoon's session if they don't switch it to morning. However I suppose the TC schedule will get somewhat upended if they do settle today. It could also affect Fan Fest. It's hard to imagine they'd want to hold their controlled scrimmage after only 2 or at best 3 practices. :cr:
squishy35
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 1:31 pm
squishy35 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 12:27 pm

Certainly sounds promising although Farhan tends to be more of a glass half full guy compared to idiot Madani whose CFL glass never has more than a layer of dust at the bottom.

I'm not cancelling my hotel reservation down there yet. Might see you and BCFan there yet for tomorrow afternoon's session if they don't switch it to morning although I suppose the schedule will get upended if they do settle today. It could also affect Fan Fest. It's hard to imagine they'd want to hold their controlled scrimmage after only 2 or at best 3 practices. :cr:
Sounds good. I will try to get there in the afternoon after work (if this thing is settled)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

squishy35 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 1:33 pm
Hambone wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 1:31 pm
I'm not cancelling my hotel reservation down there yet. Might see you and BCFan there yet for tomorrow afternoon's session if they don't switch it to morning although I suppose the schedule will get upended if they do settle today. It could also affect Fan Fest. It's hard to imagine they'd want to hold their controlled scrimmage after only 2 or at best 3 practices. :cr:
Sounds good. I will try to get there in the afternoon after work (if this thing is settled)
I stopped by TRU this afternoon and counted about 60 players on the field practising in sweats and hoodies at the originally scheduled time of 4 p.m. The offence seemed to be about three deep at each position and was running through plays at half speed. There weren't as many defensive players on the field. They did some light running and interception drills at the west end of the field when I was there. I didn't stay long. It was a chilly and windy 12 degrees and there wasn't much else to see.

As it happens, I'm scheduled to drive to the Lower Mainland Thursday. I might make it back for the end of practice if I'm lucky, but I'll be available Friday and afterwards for whatever happens.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It looks like a deal is done.