Update: Michael Reilly retires

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

My bet is Lions will sign Harris as Rourke's backup. Campbell knows him well and Lions want an experienced backup, so that rules O' Conner out, for he is not experienced and Lions need someone who has had some success in this league, not 2 unknowns. Masoli will go where the money is and no way the 1A will make more money than the starter and Masoli will be offered more than here. I think Harris is finished, but since Lions will be looking for an experienced backup I think Campbell will choose Harris over Nichols, unless they sign Dom Davies, again another guy Campbell knows. I would go after Masoli but I think the Argos will throw money at him and sign him then cut BMT, who may end up here.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:47 pm
I expect the Lions to be very busy in free agency.
They should be. The Lions have wiped two big contracts off the books, if reported values are accurate:
$575,000 for Reilly
$200,000 for Durant

That could land them a couple of all-star linemen (Ja'Gared Davis would be nice for one) while re-signing Burnham and Cottoy at market value.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

We see in the NFL, NHL and even NBA teams trying to make the most of rising stars still on their rookie deals. Would love to see the Lions go this route with Rourke.

The bar isn’t high here the way the last couple of seasons have gone. He is already popular among the fans that can tolerate growing pains given his level of experience.

Spend Reilly’s salary on at least 3 all-star calibre lineman, including 2 on the o-line. Become a more balanced attack with a better defence and take some of the pressure off the QB position.

Very likely won’t happen, especially after hearing Campbell today, but it would be a bold and refreshing approach for this league and city.
David
Team Captain

Seems silly to anoint Rourke the starter so early in the game. I have no doubt he will be a great quarterback, but let's throw out the last start against the Elks as some kind of proof that he's ready to be a full-time starter. It is too small of a sample size against a weak and tired defense. Besides, defenses will have had time to study him on film and watch for his tendencies. Not to be too critical or pessimistic here, but there is a big difference between being a rookie QB, mostly coming off the bench, and a game-in, game-out starter in this league.

As we've seen in the Canucks' sorry history, giving a player too much responsibility before he's ready and without enough seasoning (time to grow vs selling hope to the fanbase) can come with less-than-desirable results. On the flip side, we've witnessed Thatcher Demko gradually rise from prospect to elite level starter.
:popcorn:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:37 pm
KnowItAll wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:29 pm
I just hope the lions scouts are giving their all to find the next Reilly.
You seem to be bucking a trend as most here and in the Lions organization think Rourke is the next Reilly. It is really just a question of is he ready now or does he need more time to learn and develop.

Looks like it is going to be learn by doing, I hope the scouts are giving their all to find the next Javon Olafioye or Angus Reid.

Well, I remember when I first saw Reilly, in a pre season game I believe. I was right away excited about him. Not quite so much re Rourke. He is lighter. I dont think he is in the MR mode. He may yet turn out to be a good one but we have been burned by many promising QBs over the years. Then there is the whole Canadian thing. When is the last time Canada turned out a QB anywhere near MR in quality. Would be nice though
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
cromartie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:16 pm
Seems silly to anoint Rourke the starter so early in the game. I have no doubt he will be a great quarterback, but let's throw out the last start against the Elks as some kind of proof that he's ready to be a full-time starter. It is too small of a sample size against a weak and tired defense. Besides, defenses will have had time to study him on film and watch for his tendencies. Not to be too critical or pessimistic here, but there is a big difference between being a rookie QB, mostly coming off the bench, and a game-in, game-out starter in this league.

As we've seen in the Canucks' sorry history, giving a player too much responsibility before he's ready and without enough seasoning (time to grow vs selling hope to the fanbase) can come with less-than-desirable results. On the flip side, we've witnessed Thatcher Demko gradually rise from prospect to elite level starter.

Going to disagree with you here.

He was a first round draft pick.

He's had a year's worth of an apprenticeship on the heels of a year off.

It's time.

I'll outline the challenges of this here in a different comment, but it's time.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

KnowItAll wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:20 pm
DanoT wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:37 pm
KnowItAll wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:29 pm
I just hope the lions scouts are giving their all to find the next Reilly.
You seem to be bucking a trend as most here and in the Lions organization think Rourke is the next Reilly. It is really just a question of is he ready now or does he need more time to learn and develop.

Looks like it is going to be learn by doing, I hope the scouts are giving their all to find the next Javon Olafioye or Angus Reid.

Well, I remember when I first saw Reilly, in a pre season game I believe. I was right away excited about him. Not quite so much re Rourke. He is lighter. I dont think he is in the MR mode. He may yet turn out to be a good one but we have been burned by many promising QBs over the years. Then there is the whole Canadian thing. When is the last time Canada turned out a QB anywhere near MR in quality. Would be nice though
Didn't Rourke spend his senior year in high school in the US, specifically to further his football career and then go to a US university? He is not exactly a "Canadian QB".
Reg18
Starter

I amhapy he got outwith his health. He has taken Too many hits with his toughguy personna. Theions can now affotdtobuild a stronger team with more cap room. A good move for all concerned.
Luck1sOnOurSid3
Rookie

Reg18 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:28 am
I amhapy he got outwith his health. He has taken Too many hits with his toughguy personna. Theions can now affotdtobuild a stronger team with more cap room. A good move for all concerned.
I wonder what that cap room is going to be though? You have to expect Rourke gets a starters bump and we have to bring in another experienced QB. Maybe we clear $100k net off the books. We did clear Durant's contract, but we still need to pay Burnham and Cottoy.
Luck1sOnOurSid3
Rookie

cromartie wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:44 am
David wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:16 pm

Going to disagree with you here.

He was a first round draft pick.

He's had a year's worth of an apprenticeship on the heels of a year off.

It's time.

I'll outline the challenges of this here in a different comment, but it's time.
I would have really liked to have another year of Reilly at the helm with Rourke having a more gradual transition into the role. Would have like to see him get a series or two each quarter to then go back to the tablet with Reilly to dissect before jumping straight into it. I think the biggest loss of Reilly retiring is his presence in the QB room. He is still really raw and will need someone in there helping him chew up film, go over mistakes, etc. Even Reilly had that in Edmonton with Kerry Joseph. I wonder who we will bring in to try to assist with that. Masoli is still looking to start somewhere. Maybe we go get Nichols? Reilly had talked about how great of a teammate he was in Edmonton once Reilly won the starting job and how they would go over film etc?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:10 pm

Spend Reilly’s salary on at least 3 all-star calibre lineman, including 2 on the o-line. Become a more balanced attack with a better defence and take some of the pressure off the QB position.
Might have to settle for future all-star calibre OL. It's not exactly a deep pool among the 29 that remain pending. Only Ryker Matthews (1), Matt O'Donnell (2), Nolan McMillan (1) and SirVincent Rogers have won all-star awards over 2018, 2019 and 2021. Rogers will be 36 and only managed to play 3 games since being a 2018 all-star. He's done. O'Donnell will be 33. McMillan is 31 and Matthews is 29. Most likely would have to find a gem amongst younger guys with upside.

The best of the rest likely includes:
Ucambre Williams & Nila Kasitati- CGY - Williams was Stamps starting C in 2017, 2018 and most of 2019 before switching to LT for the last 4 games and all of 2021.
Mark Korte - OTT - starting center - much speculation if still available Elks will go hard after the local Edm kid.
Darius Ciraco, Kay Okafor - HAM - Ciraco is only 25 and Ticats starting centre. 6th overall pick you gotta think he is a priority re-signing there. Okafor also 25 started 8 games at guard before going on 6G for the rest of the year.
Michael Couture - WPG - local Vancouver product who has been Bomber starting center since Goossen retired.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:33 am
SammyGreene wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:10 pm

Might have to settle for future all-star calibre OL. It's not exactly a deep pool among the 29 that remain pending. Only Ryker Matthews (1), Matt O'Donnell (2), Nolan McMillan (1) and SirVincent Rogers have won all-star awards over 2018, 2019 and 2021. Rogers will be 36 and only managed to play 3 games since being a 2018 all-star. He's done. O'Donnell will be 33. McMillan is 31 and Matthews is 29. Most likely would have to find a gem amongst younger guys with upside.

The best of the rest likely includes:
Ucambre Williams & Nila Kasitati- CGY - Williams was Stamps starting C in 2017, 2018 and most of 2019 before switching to LT for the last 4 games and all of 2021.
Mark Korte - OTT - starting center - much speculation if still available Elks will go hard after the local Edm kid.
Darius Ciraco, Kay Okafor - HAM - Ciraco is only 25 and Ticats starting centre. 6th overall pick you gotta think he is a priority re-signing there. Okafor also 25 started 8 games at guard before going on 6G for the rest of the year.
Michael Couture - WPG - local Vancouver product who has been Bomber starting center since Goossen retired.
Great breakdown Hambone.
Bombers have had little problem locking up their over 30 vets to 1 year deals but will younger players like Couture and Lawlor do the same or look for longer deals with a bigger signing bonus?

Bit of Cottoy news today:

“The #Jets worked out Canadian WR/TE Jevon Cottoy today, source said. Cottoy (6-5, 230) had 39 catches for 519 yards and 3 TDs last season for the CFL's BC Lions. More workouts scheduled.”
David
Team Captain

I would go hard after Couture. Very good centre. Local product (SFU). Great age for a FA pick (turns 28 next month).

Just my :2cents:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:03 pm
I would go hard after Couture. Very good centre. Local product (SFU). Great age for a FA pick (turns 28 next month).

Just my :2cents:

I agree on Couture but I would caution that the Lions haven't had a great track record with linemen who were successful on other teams. Joel Figueroa, Sukh Chungh and Ryker Mathews were all-stars elsewhere before they signed with the Lions. On the other hand, several linemen released by the Lions, including Jermarcus Hardrick and Justin Sorensen, have gone on to be named all-stars on other CFL teams.
David
Team Captain

I would say we've gotten solid left tackle play from Fig (keep in mind he's been playing hurt for much of the last couple of years), poor return for Chung, and an "Incomplete" for Mathews. Rather odd IMO how he never returned from his "head" injury early in the season. Didn't even practice again as far as I know.

Roar, You Lions, Roar