CFL Coach Most likely to be fired

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CFL Head Coach most likely to be fired?

1) Rick Campbell
No votes
2) Paul Lapolice
No votes
3) Jaime Elizondo
50%
4) Other
No votes
5) No One
50%

Total votes: 4
JohnnyMusso
Champion

There is no way Jaime Elizondo survives after the season they had. They will eat his last 2 years. Bob M suggested Rick L will recommend Rick Campbell to be brought back for another year and already rumours saying Lapolice will be back.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I can see two or three new GMs but I don’t expect any coaching changes. The three non-playoff teams had personnel problems, either a lack of talent or a lack of experience at key positions. You don’t solve those problems by firing the coach.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Both Brock Sunderland and Elizondo have 2 years left on their deals. Probably 1 will be fired for someone has to take the fall for a terrible season. They did not even win 1 home game. Sunderland probably should be fired. Team is a mess and he has done a very poor job. With coaches cap maybe they cannot afford firing both, but would not surprise me if Elizondo is made the fall guy. There is talk that like Claybrooks he is a great assistant, but a poor HC. No one thought Claybrooks would be fired after just 1 year, but he was. Elizondo was not their first choice. Only got the job for Scott M quit. No way Elks do nothing. Someone will be fired? But who???
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

One thing about Elizondo is that he came on board a bit late in the offseason process. Milanovich didn't jump to the NFL until the latter part of January. It was only a few days before CFL free agency kicked in when Elizondo was hired. By the time he got involved many of the decisions on which players to retain/extend were already made. With that of course a lot of decisions on how to proceed with free agency, who to target and where to spend the money were also pencilled in. He also would have inherited much of the coaching staff Milanovich had already assembled. Even if he wanted to go a different route with coaches he'd be trying to hire out of the leftovers after everybody else had set their staffs.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Elks have cleaned house, firing president and CEO Chris Presson, GM Brock Sunderland and head coach Jaime Elizondo. They’ve also hired Wally Buono to “consult and advise the club” until a new GM is named.

https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-elks-fire-c ... -1.1724760
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I'm not sure why the CEO got fired but I guess someone else on the Elks board will take over that role and I guess Wally hires the new GM.

I guess Mass and Jones are out as HC hires? :wink:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Buono hiring Ed Hervey again ??
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Wally is not a good advisor here as he has no process when it comes to hiring other than he'll fire the person (Benevides, Tedford) if it doesn't work out.

I couldn't see either the Elks 'brain' trust surviving what was going on there.

LaPolice might survive based his contract length/size and the cheapest way is to promote from within if the interim GM is doing a half-decent job.

But LaPolice deserves to be fired as he definitely is showing signs like Elizondo in Edmonton that he's is not a Head Coach as he either doesn't understand the role or he doesn't want to do it.

If you're the HC choosing to be OC and DC then you're not doing the HC job. I don't care how many others do it.

Dinwoodie has done well but my advice (other than don't let Jarius put in his offence or call plays) is get a good OC.

Even Dave Dickinson seems to be overfocused on one role - OC.

It's not a huge surprise how well Winnipeg is performing under Mike O'Shea who had to learn the role and now it's crystal clear who does what with the Bombers. It looks and performs like a well-oiled machine. O'Shea was on death row but the Bombers brain trust did the right thing and now he's looking like the best HC in the CFL.

Rick Campbell is likely safe to stay but it's too bad he's saddled with the QB situation as Michael Riley as an offence designed for QB only is not sustainable. I had to laugh when the panel at the half led by Jim Barker said BC was a big play team and it was not sustainable, then just as the half started Rick Campbell said something like 'we need big plays' and sustainable drives. The panel like most fans know that big plays and sustainable are an oxymoron.

I don't care about the QB stats when you're not winning.

It's like Wally is still here with his view that RB's a dime a dozen and basically who needs any. Meanwhile we're losing and other teams are in the playoffs.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

With Wally involved, hope we hang on to Geroy and Rigmaiden. Those past connections could come into play. They are currently in charge of scouting with BC of course, but have greater aspirations I'm sure. Geroy has clearly expressed that in the past. And Rigmaiden was considered for GM position in Montreal a couple years back. But can't keep everyone I guess. What will be will be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

I think Hervey has the inside track for the Elks GM job. Fans like Hervey and that can have a positive impact on the gate. Hervey's past transgressions of playing fast and loose with contract rules is not a new or unique thing in the CFL and can be forgiven.

Some or possibly all of members of the Elks Board of Directors were involved in the Hervey firing from the Eskimos a few years ago, but with Wally as the consultant it will be face saving for them to take Wally's recommendations and accept Hervey's return.

Hervey is an experienced GM with a sound track record at player assessment/recruiting.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

The way Hervey ran out of here, I'm not so sure. Buono is likely to have all the details about what went down. So depending on the whole story, he may not be a viable consideration.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I mentioned yesterday I thought something may go down in Edmonton this week and said no way they maintain the status quo. The CEO was fired for he was not well liked in Edmonton.

I don't think Hervey gets the job. He did not do a good job in BC. He signed 4 or 5 guys to big contracts, went cheap in other areas and most importantly he ran the Lions leaders like Solly and Rolly and others out of town. How he treated Solly was shameful and Lions have lacked leadership last 2 years. Also did not like the way he publicly criticized Jennings. Lack of class. Also his coaching choice of Claybrooks was a bad decision and I agree with Sir Purrcival he bailed on the team and quit without giving a valid reason. I think Danny Mac may get that job. Just a feeling.
David
Team Captain

My gut tells me that even though Wally is advising, we may not lose anyone from within. Guys like Geroy, Rigmaiden or even LeLacheur. It may be tough to sell Elk fans on a guy going there from a losing culture like BC (two consecutive 5 win seasons), albeit with Ryan just coming on board this season.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:16 pm
I mentioned yesterday I thought something may go down in Edmonton this week and said no way they maintain the status quo. The CEO was fired for he was not well liked in Edmonton.

I don't think Hervey gets the job. He did not do a good job in BC. He signed 4 or 5 guys to big contracts, went cheap in other areas and most importantly he ran the Lions leaders like Solly and Rolly and others out of town. How he treated Solly was shameful and Lions have lacked leadership last 2 years. Also did not like the way he publicly criticized Jennings. Lack of class. Also his coaching choice of Claybrooks was a bad decision and I agree with Sir Purrcival he bailed on the team and quit without giving a valid reason. I think Danny Mac may get that job. Just a feeling.
While I agree with your thoughts on what went down with Hervey in B.C., I think none of it matters to Edmonton football fans. And an experienced GM that knows "the Eskimo/Elks Way" is an advantage that may be what they are looking for.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

The question Dano is will Buono hire him again? That is debatable, but I guess it depends upon the other candidates. I hope we don't lose Geroy. I like to see him be our GM one day.