Elks at BC Nov 19

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

If you can provide the QB adequate protection from the Oline, you can often do quite well with a modestly talented QB. Dave Dickensen wasn't a physical stud, wasn't particularly strong, what he was, was really smart and had at points in his time here a Oline that was solid. We had some of our best performances under that scenario.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well, it has been a very rough year, couple of years really. Although this team has struggled, it does pay to remember once in awhile just how lucky we are to have a team that we can cheer for. That also extends beyond the football field. This year in particular has been unlike any year that I have ever known. Just when you thought the pandemic was bad enough, nature has thrown a lot at this province and it's citizen's. Much like a football game, we have all bent some but we are not broken. I have probably been as critical as anybody but in these fading moments of the season, my gratitude to the BC Lions, to D and mods on Lionbackers and to the posters whose knowledge and humour make for a fun place to come back to again and again.

And I'll save the most poignant for last. Although he is gone now, a big shout out to David Braley. He saved this team when things looked really grim. He stuck with us even though this was far from his home and roots and that is a debt that can never be paid. So I hope you are looking down and smiling that the Lions wrapped up the last game with style. To a better 2022 in all respects. :beer:
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

Well said, Sir Purrsival!

This is a fairly young team that has a lot of really good pieces but must become stronger in the pass rush (Moj and Giulio think our front 4 will be better with experience...I’m not certain). I have seen improvements in the Oline lately but that is another area we’ll have to upgrade a bit in the off-season. I think it's premature to anoint Rourke #1 status for 2022 albeit with great signs for the future; he could the best CDN QB since Russ Jackson. I would feel much more comfortable with Reilly back in a reduced role and at a reduced salary (FWIW, Giulio echoes this thought...and he played the position).

Off the field, I am excited to learn Mr. Doman’s vision for putting bums in the seats. While the last few games were sparse, especially last night, the crowd has definitely gotten younger, more energized, and most people seem to be having a great time. Just need more of them.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

That was a positive ending to a disappointing season. I too want to see Reilly back next year but I’m not sure that he would accept a reduced role. The fans clearly want to see more of Rourke, and have been calling for him all year. He opens up the offence with his running ability and can become the face of the franchise. An offseason marketing campaign featuring Rourke and Lucky Whitehead could promote the exciting, high scoring offence that this team has.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:05 pm
Lucky with another explosive return and no flag this week. Just how bad was Chris Rainey this season?
Rainey makes me think of Alex Edler. He just seems slow now hesitating to find a hole instead of getting the ball and attacking seams like he used to. Ditto for Edler. I didn't realize how slow he'd become until I see how much faster that familiar #23 moves on OEL's back.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Bob M suggested Reilly will be offered $300,000 to come back and likely accept for where else can you make that much? Bob thinks Lions will pay him no more and Reilly will have to take the pay cut or retire.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:19 pm
Bob M suggested Reilly will be offered $300,000 to come back and likely accept for where else can you make that much? Bob thinks Lions will pay him no more and Reilly will have to take the pay cut or retire.
Who is Bob M?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:43 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Who is Bob M?
Bob Marjanovich the so called play by play announcer who likes to talk more about food, eateries and other trivial things other than call the plays.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:29 pm
DanoT wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:43 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Who is Bob M?
Bob Marjanovich the so called play by play announcer who likes to talk more about food, eateries and other trivial things other than call the plays.
I agree, the off topic food and other topics are a turn off for me and "The Moj Says:" does not hold a candle compared to "Farhan Says:", so who knows what will really happen with Reilly and his contract for next season.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Or force them to release him to be a free agent. After this tire fire season his old alma mater the Elks would probably trip over themselves to bring him back at $400,000. In case nobody noticed last night Edmonton is a mess at QB.
David
Team Captain

Yup. Not saying his contract shouldn't be re-visited, but I don't get some of the criticism of Reilly on here. Led the league in passing yards and tied for 2nd in passing TDs with a bad elbow, a porous Oline, and a rookie OC (albeit one that he hand-selected). Did he show signs of his age this year? Yes. But on the whole, I thought he was one of the strengths of the club in a very forgettable season and took the media heat (that came with a 7-game losing streak) like a pro.

I can think of three clubs that would love to have our problem.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Lucky Whitehead on Instagram:
“My turn to get paid”
So he signed just a 1 year deal last February. Would have very likely led the league receiving if he didn’t get hurt. And briefly showed he is still lethal on kick returns. At 29, likely his last big contract. Fortunately Durant’s big contract comes off the books. Was hoping they can re-route some of that money to get Cottoy locked up but Lucky is a must.

They may very well ask Reilly to take a pay cut if they want to upgrade key areas for next season.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:57 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Or force them to release him to be a free agent. After this tire fire season his old alma mater the Elks would probably trip over themselves to bring him back at $400,000. In case nobody noticed last night Edmonton is a mess at QB.
I noticed that the Elks traded for Arbuckle but declined to dress him. :dizzy: Nobody on TSN or the Elks online fan base can figure out why Elks did not play their new QB, Arbuckle. What they really need in Edmonton is some football leadership/smarts, something that appears to be lacking with the HC or GM, or both.
David
Team Captain

JC Abbott's post-game thoughts here.

https://3downnation.com/2021/11/21/lion ... dominance/

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:06 am

I noticed that the Elks traded for Arbuckle but declined to dress him. :dizzy: Nobody on TSN or the Elks online fan base can figure out why Elks did not play their new QB, Arbuckle. What they really need in Edmonton is some football leadership/smarts, something that appears to be lacking with the HC or GM, or both.
It seems bizarre. Only twisted justification I could come up with is they think they can at least market Arbuckle as the big QB hope for 2022. If they played him behind that gassed squad Friday night and he sucked that plan would go for naught. I do wonder if EE acquired him with the thought of making him their starter in 2022 or just to have him as a Plan B in case they don't come up with a better option.

It won't surprise me if Arbuckle hangs them up before Reilly, perhaps as early as this offseason. After the past year and a half of being treated like the proverbial red-headed stepchild he has now decided to set down some roots and bought himself a house in his native California. Apparently he's understandably disillusioned about his lot in CFL life.