Campbell, McEvoy Jobs Safe

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

The new owner said the other day on the radio that he trusts the current management so are we to assume it is highly unlikely that either will be fired in the offseason and both will be back in 2022.

If that is the case, will the OC be back and Campbell back as DC. Do we have to still pay Claybrooks for 2022? I cannot remember how long a contract he was given, so does anymore know the answer to that question.

I think we will have a new Defensive line coach. Plan was to have Leroy Blugh, but he quit. The ex Lion who doing it now I think is in over his head and has not done a good enough job to keep that role next year.

Therefore, if coaching and management is basically back except for some changes, the major changes will come in player personnel. How much that is is unknown at this time.

What do you guys think will happen if we lose to Calgary and beat Elks to end season and miss playoffs again with a 5 and 9 record.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:15 pm
The new owner said the other day on the radio that he trusts the current management so are we to assume it is highly unlikely that either will be fired in the offseason and both will be back in 2022.

If that is the case, will the OC be back and Campbell back as DC. Do we have to still pay Claybrooks for 2022? I cannot remember how long a contract he was given, so does anymore know the answer to that question.

I think we will have a new Defensive line coach. Plan was to have Leroy Blugh, but he quit. The ex Lion who doing it now I think is in over his head and has not done a good enough job to keep that role next year.

Therefore, if coaching and management is basically back except for some changes, the major changes will come in player personnel. How much that is is unknown at this time.

What do you guys think will happen if we lose to Calgary and beat Elks to end season and miss playoffs again with a 5 and 9 record.
Defensive coordinator is a question mark. Campbell has worn three hats this year as co-GM, HC and DC. He delegated defensive play-calling to Ryan Phillips, who is in just his second year of coaching and is learning on the job.

The B.C. defence has done a good job of tightening up in the red zone and not giving up touchdowns but it has given up a lot of yards in the air and on the ground. Part of that is inexperienced personnel, and questionable talent on the D-line in particular, but the defensive play calls are also questionable. The Lions have a tendency to blitz without success on first down when opponents attack the defence underneath with quick, short passes. On second down the Lions like to sit back in a zone, often with a 3-man rush, giving the opposing QB lots of time to find an open receiver for the first down.

There is a rumour that the CFL coaching cap and salary cap may be cut next year. That would impact any hirings. We may have to get used to CFL head coaches wearing multiple hats.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I think anybody expecting changes at the higher end of the FOPs structure will be disappointed. Doman's top 3 priorities will be:
1) Business and marketing.
2) Business and marketing.
3) Business and marketing.
It would make little sense for him to start out the offseason by dusting the 2 headed GM as replacing them would immediately become his top priority bumping everything else down. The scary part of that is while Doman oozes with business and marketing savvy his background in FOPs is about the same as everybody here. Unless he wanted to replace internally where the only option is Geroy he'd have to go handle that search himself.........or maybe try to tap Wally to come back as an advisor in the search.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
maxlion
Legend

I don't read much into an owner's comments made in the midst of a season, but I do expect them to be back, partly because of the management cap and partly because they haven't had a chance to put their mark on the team yet.

Phillips probably has the inside track on the defensive coordinator role. If the team wants to keep him around, and I guess they do, they might need to offer him the role.

When Campbell was hired, I thought that Mark Nelson might follow as they coached together for 6 years in Ottawa and in both Edmonton and Winnipeg before that. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in BC next year in some capacity, though perhaps he wants to stay in the east.

As BC Fan mentioned, we have a lot of rookies especially on defence. I think there will be changes in the way the salary cap is managed next year, with more $ going towards the D.