Priorities for the bye week

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:28 pm
Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:18 pm
Speaking of QB's pivotal importance to a team, with the release of Lions' practice roster QB Danny Etling, we are now the lone team in the league with just 2 QBs. Every other team has at least 3 and some have 4 on their rosters. That would seem the prudent way to have it. So I expect, or surely hope, they have a candidate waiting in the wings to join the practice roster sooner than later. Our two guys are rugged solid types, but stuff happens.
I think you can make a very safe wager that the release of Etling is a precursor to another QB being added in the next 24-48 hours be it someone totally new to the CFL or some veteran to be added as insurance.
Yep, agree.
Most of of practice roster spots added after labour day, they are trying out for a spot in camp in may. Come in for couple weeks, then the next guy is infor a tryout. The league is too good now, airlift is a thing of the past.
David
Team Captain

No Ryker Mathews reading between the lines of Farhan Lalji's tweet an hour ago. Very disappointing news.

According to his other tweet, the defensive backfield looks to be healthy again. Butler at RB and Rainey likely to be returning kicks Saturday. Bazzie and Joyner likely (Joyner likely the extra DB as Sayles will draw back in at SAM).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Etling must have asked for his release as he was signed by the Seahawks today and joined their practice roster.

Very disappointing news about Matthews. Hard to win in a salary cap league when one your biggest FA signings is basically a non factor all season. Concerning he still has symptoms 2 months later.

Lions also haven’t got much out of Durant either who was revealed by 3 Down Nation today as the league’s 2nd highest paid receiver even with his reported salary cut.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I've never been happy with Reilly's huge contract as it leaves not enough to spend on other vets. I don't expect the Lions to be really balanced and competitive until Reilly retires.
tedbear
Starter

Although Reillys contract eats a lot of cap space, it is a quarterback driven league. He is one of the best quarterbacks in the league. He gives us a chance every game, even though the parts around him may not be the best.

If you don't have a top QB it is very rare that you will win championships.

As an example see, Ottawa, Montreal, Edmonton, Saskatchewan, Other than Ottawa Those teams have lots of talent but IMO a slim chance to win a Grey Cup as Their Quarterback play is not good enough.

I Would rather take a hit on the cap and have a top QB than have a team loaded with talent and no one to pull the trigger.

Last great QB we had was Travis, if my memory serves me right I believe that was are last Championship.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

This somewhat of a shocker although I was hardly a fan of Cooper. But you wait 48 hours before your next game to make this move coming off a bye week? I guess it’s the Butler/Rainey combo the rest of the way?
The BC Lions today announced the following two players have been released from the roster:

American RB Shaq Cooper.
American DL Dana Levine Jr.
David
Team Captain

Yea, to put this at Shaq Cooper's feet would be a mistake. Our run blocking this season has been horrendous. How many teams have stuffed us for 1 yard, no yard....or even negative yards this season??
It's been the same whether it's been Cooper, Butler, or Rainey.

I guess we'll see what Shaun Wilson can do; one of the recently signed running backs.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Cooper was a disappointment. Rick Campbell said this week that the Lions have the talent to run the ball successfully but the running backs have to hit the hole harder. That was Butler's strength in training camp but he didn't seem to have any more success than Cooper in the regular season
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:52 am
Cooper was a disappointment. Rick Campbell said this week that the Lions have the talent to run the ball successfully but the running backs have to hit the hole harder. That was Butler's strength in training camp but he didn't seem to have any more success than Cooper in the regular season
If Campbell thinks it's just a case of hitting the hold harder, then employ bigger backs. How does Montreal lose William Stanback and replace him with 210lb Cameron Artis-Payne and not lose a beat (122 yards on 21 carries against Ottawa - 5.8 yard average) despite playing with a patchwork offensive line that included David Foucault getting his first start at right guard?

From where I sit though, our O-line has been fundamentally incapable all season of moving bodies at the LOS.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:50 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:52 am
If Campbell thinks it's just a case of hitting the hold harder, then employ bigger backs. How does Montreal lose William Stanback and replace him with 210lb Cameron Artis-Payne and not lose a beat (122 yards on 21 carries against Ottawa - 5.8 yard average) despite playing with a patchwork offensive line that included David Foucault getting his first start at right guard?

From where I sit though, our O-line has been fundamentally incapable all season of moving bodies at the LOS.

I agree the line hasn't been opening holes. In most cases the RBs have been running into several bodies before they reach the line. That suggests the problem mainly lies with the scheme or personnel on the O-line. It will be interesting to see what changes are made up front.

I did prefer Butler and Rainey's style to Cooper's though. They both run hard, and Butler has the weight advantage that should help him pick up yards after contact, although we haven't seen much of that.