B.C. at Saskatchewan Aug. 6, 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

swervynmerv
Legend

Sammy is bang on. Make Rourke the starter and let him prepare. Starting in Calgary will be a breeze after playing in the Mosaic Madhouse!

In the big picture, this could be just what the Leos need.

I know it’s an Extremely limited sample size, but if and it’s a big IF, Rourke could develop into a star player, the marketing staff would have their dream scenario, a BC boy as a starting QB.

A lot has to happen before that were to ever occur, but if it did and the Leos still continued to struggle to get fans in the stadium, then I don’t know what will get the marketplace back on board outside of the extremely loyal but seemingly dwindling fan base
Last edited by swervynmerv on Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cms22
Starter

what did people think of our pass rush and pass protection?

I honestly think all other areas of the game are easy to fix if need be.

I can't really figure out how Sask got on top of us so big so early.... I thought our pass coverage was "ok" on alot of throws. and I think Rourke looked good but maybe timing is off slightly (which is understandable)

what did others think?
Reg18
Starter

Our O !ine seems to be better at pass b!ocking but still lack run blocking butler didn't have any holes to run to
Reg18
Starter

And hunter Stewart may be injured he came off the field visibly hurting
Reg18
Starter

And if youc cant depend on your field go team then you should go for two point converts and try to convert 3rd down opportunities. And if they can't fix what the kicking team has wrong then its time to make a change.
Reg18
Starter

And even with Reillys wounded duck passing and poor O play calling we could have won the game with re!able kicking.
Reg18
Starter

Maybe its time to hire a D coordinator r as well!
Reg18
Starter

!osing sacks but it is rich with opportunities i to improve
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Lol. On most of Reilly's wounded ducks the first thing that came to mind is Tom Wilkinson won a few Grey Cups with his end over end spirals.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:46 pm
OV - 54:40 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:02 pm
Blowing one, easily makeable 30 some yard FG in a game by a rookie kicker = no big deal; blowing 2 plus a convert, and when there was a chance to get close in the game = a different story. And the kid's first FG of 40 some yards barely snuck in against the upright. Does not look like he has even close to pro place kicking leg strength - you need to be able to hit 50+ yard FGs in the pros in today's game (and O'Shea's Bombers were afraid of trying a couple of barely 50 yd. attempts last game = not good enough). Maybe he will prove some of us wrong next game. In the meantime, another place kicker needs to be auditioned, ASAP !
According to JC Abbott who says he watched lots of Yamasaki's work in Japan, The Spring League and the Global Combine last night was not the norm. At this early stage they have to trust their scouting and his work in training camp. The best BC could do in training camp to prepare him for the reality of kicking in live action in the most hostile CFL environment was to have the members of the O and D who weren't on the FG units jump up and down and scream when he was practicing FGs.

Rookie kicker working with rookie holder with no preseason real game situation live crowd reps is not a recipe for the immediate purrfect success you expect out of a non Canadian. I'm not saying they shouldn't have feelers out but they need to let him try to work it out for a few games before bringing someone in. To bring someone in based on one game is to tell him the club already has no confidence in him. Pretty hard for him to build confidence in himself if that is the message the team is sending.
I agree with Hambone 100%. You have to give rookies more than one chance in the best of situations and this year with no pre-season games and the Lions with a roster that is liberally sprinkled with starting rookies (7 including K& P)...the most I have ever seen on a Lions team...I am hoping for incremental improvements but not expecting a lot of victories.
Luck1sOnOurSid3
Rookie

BC 1988 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:19 am
David wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:34 pm
[*]The TSN post-game panel was really giving to the Lions/Reilly for letting him play. Basically hinting at all the things some have stated on this board (Messiah Complex). Matt Dunigan mentioned "putting the coach in a tough spot" and "shouldn't have even dressed for the game." Milt Stegall called it "a disgrace."
[*]In the sartorial faux-pas department, what was with Rick Campbell's oddball T-shirt? Only the "NS" in "LIONS" was shaded in orange? Great, if we were the Nova Scotia Lions. And Jake Ford's pants were shorter than an Australian surfer.
DH :cool:
Yes indeed. The Messiah showed up on cue (but I preferred Jim Caviezel's performance more, most of what we saw last night was the drudgery of the Stations of the Cross--we could see and feel His pain with every throw.).

Interesting reading through the post-game thread over on RF--they are relieved to get the win--despite almost throwing it away.
The Ugly: BC massively screwing up the CFL’s entry into sports betting. The team needs to be fined and at least 1 draft pick lost. That crap can’t happen. On top of that the BC Lions should have to cover all the payouts that directly were impacted by their amateur hour games.
On the broadcast note, was that a Lions love in the longer the game went on or was it just me?
Reilly, have to agree with Milt, he shouldn't have been dressed. Throwing ducks like that, there is no way that he is gonna heal up during the season.
I think Reilly is done like dinner tbh.
Lions aren't doing themselves any favors hanging on to Reilly.
I get it wanting to have that experience on the roster, but it's time to move on.
I think it was a huge financial mistake not cutting him.
Hopefully ppl realize that's why the Lions took over in the second half. If we're a half step faster, those quails that Reilly was throwing would have been picked. They are at present a better conditioned team than we are as our injury catastrophes spooked us, and for good reason.
On BC Lions play, I think they they may have come up with a gem in their young new Canadian QB from Ohio State. He only needs experience. Reilly's days are numbered. Close game and I hope that this will put more people in seats in BC Place.
As far as Rourke goes for BC, I wouldn't get too excited about him yet although he had a few good plays. I just remember back when there were other first year QB's that made plays and had good games against the Riders but never turned out to be anything great.
Diffrence is, Rourke was cool as a cucumber. No matter what blitz the Riders D threw at him, he would shrugg it off, get back up and on to the next play. His accuracy, plus his arm strength show, that he has a future in this league. He knew a couple of his throws were off and said post game that he will try to correct them in practice. Plus the kid had wheels in college, so once he learns to use them at the pro level, watch out.
Reilly is ALWAYS injured. I honestly can’t remember the last time he was healthy.
The last three could be a foreboding comment about Rick Campbell's coaching style--having the Messiah on your team may be too much to resist for him.
That BC team is at risk of turning into a grease fire. Those who were at the stadium wouldn't have seen it, but Rick Campbell did an interview with TSN at the start of the second half. He stated that Michael Reilly's arm just wasn't right and they decided to keep him out "for the good of the team and the good of the player". Less than a minute later Reilly is leading the BC offense onto the field. I assume that was Reilly's decision and the head coach/GM knew nothing. I think Rick Campbell is in waaaaay over his head. It's going to be ugly on the left coast and that ain't good news for the CFL.
I disagree on the principle. A Rick Campbell coached team was a big part of why the Lions were able to come back. If you want to look at a coach and staff that were in over their heads, look no further than the "party all the time" DeVone Claybrooks. Now that was a massive coaching blunder. Rick Cambpell will help restore some dignity over there.
With reference to both this and Knucklehead's comment...the exact same thing happened in a game here in Ottawa in 2019--I forget the specific personnel involved, but Campbell basically stated that a certain player would not be back on the field after sustaining an injury. Moments later, said player was back on the field...widespread commentary ensued in which it was implied that the coach acceded to the player's demand that he be permitted to go back out and play. Thankfully, it did not involve a head injury...
As to the shirt Campbell was wearing, it was marginally better than "nothing rhymes with orange". He would have looked better in one of those classic Lions shirts you gave away.
Starting to think Reilly took a whiz in your Cheerios. With a bum elbow, Reilly was still over 70% and 200 yards in 1.5 quarters. Let him and Rourke tag team it as long as they need to. How many promising rookies have been thrown to the fire and washed out?
Luck1sOnOurSid3
Rookie

BC 1988 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:19 am
David wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:34 pm
[*]The TSN post-game panel was really giving to the Lions/Reilly for letting him play. Basically hinting at all the things some have stated on this board (Messiah Complex). Matt Dunigan mentioned "putting the coach in a tough spot" and "shouldn't have even dressed for the game." Milt Stegall called it "a disgrace."
[*]In the sartorial faux-pas department, what was with Rick Campbell's oddball T-shirt? Only the "NS" in "LIONS" was shaded in orange? Great, if we were the Nova Scotia Lions. And Jake Ford's pants were shorter than an Australian surfer.
DH :cool:
Yes indeed. The Messiah showed up on cue (but I preferred Jim Caviezel's performance more, most of what we saw last night was the drudgery of the Stations of the Cross--we could see and feel His pain with every throw.).

Interesting reading through the post-game thread over on RF--they are relieved to get the win--despite almost throwing it away.
The Ugly: BC massively screwing up the CFL’s entry into sports betting. The team needs to be fined and at least 1 draft pick lost. That crap can’t happen. On top of that the BC Lions should have to cover all the payouts that directly were impacted by their amateur hour games.
On the broadcast note, was that a Lions love in the longer the game went on or was it just me?
Reilly, have to agree with Milt, he shouldn't have been dressed. Throwing ducks like that, there is no way that he is gonna heal up during the season.
I think Reilly is done like dinner tbh.
Lions aren't doing themselves any favors hanging on to Reilly.
I get it wanting to have that experience on the roster, but it's time to move on.
I think it was a huge financial mistake not cutting him.
Hopefully ppl realize that's why the Lions took over in the second half. If we're a half step faster, those quails that Reilly was throwing would have been picked. They are at present a better conditioned team than we are as our injury catastrophes spooked us, and for good reason.
On BC Lions play, I think they they may have come up with a gem in their young new Canadian QB from Ohio State. He only needs experience. Reilly's days are numbered. Close game and I hope that this will put more people in seats in BC Place.
As far as Rourke goes for BC, I wouldn't get too excited about him yet although he had a few good plays. I just remember back when there were other first year QB's that made plays and had good games against the Riders but never turned out to be anything great.
Diffrence is, Rourke was cool as a cucumber. No matter what blitz the Riders D threw at him, he would shrugg it off, get back up and on to the next play. His accuracy, plus his arm strength show, that he has a future in this league. He knew a couple of his throws were off and said post game that he will try to correct them in practice. Plus the kid had wheels in college, so once he learns to use them at the pro level, watch out.
Reilly is ALWAYS injured. I honestly can’t remember the last time he was healthy.
The last three could be a foreboding comment about Rick Campbell's coaching style--having the Messiah on your team may be too much to resist for him.
That BC team is at risk of turning into a grease fire. Those who were at the stadium wouldn't have seen it, but Rick Campbell did an interview with TSN at the start of the second half. He stated that Michael Reilly's arm just wasn't right and they decided to keep him out "for the good of the team and the good of the player". Less than a minute later Reilly is leading the BC offense onto the field. I assume that was Reilly's decision and the head coach/GM knew nothing. I think Rick Campbell is in waaaaay over his head. It's going to be ugly on the left coast and that ain't good news for the CFL.
I disagree on the principle. A Rick Campbell coached team was a big part of why the Lions were able to come back. If you want to look at a coach and staff that were in over their heads, look no further than the "party all the time" DeVone Claybrooks. Now that was a massive coaching blunder. Rick Cambpell will help restore some dignity over there.
With reference to both this and Knucklehead's comment...the exact same thing happened in a game here in Ottawa in 2019--I forget the specific personnel involved, but Campbell basically stated that a certain player would not be back on the field after sustaining an injury. Moments later, said player was back on the field...widespread commentary ensued in which it was implied that the coach acceded to the player's demand that he be permitted to go back out and play. Thankfully, it did not involve a head injury...
As to the shirt Campbell was wearing, it was marginally better than "nothing rhymes with orange". He would have looked better in one of those classic Lions shirts you gave away.
Starting to think Reilly took a whiz in your Cheerios. With a bum elbow, Reilly was still over 70% and 200 yards in 1.5 quarters. Let him and Rourke tag team it as long as they need to. How many promising rookies have been thrown to the fire and washed out?
BC 1988
Legend

Luck1sOnOurSid3 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:40 pm
I will give Reilly credit for the help he gave Rourke on the sidelines. Lots of time on the tablet discussing the plays. To me, that should have been the extent of it. None of this making the HC look like a fool on TV.

As I said at the beginning of this thread, going in there with a frozen arm, unable to even grip the ball properly is the kind of thing you do when it is the Grey Cup and there is no tomorrow.

Against any properly functioning pass defense, those ducks should have been easily picked off (one very nearly was).

If you want to see more of that, you are a bigger fan of the Via Dolorosa than I am.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Unless Reilly's arm/elbow has gotten worse due to playing on Friday, I'd actually start him against Calgary. However, I wouldn't leave him in for long. Let him take the first few series, see what the tendencies are for the Calgary defence, and let Rourke observe from the sidelines. Then put Rourke in for the remainder of the game. If the Lions can avoid a repeat of the first quarter in Regina, they have a very good chance of beating the Stamps.

As for FGs, I think Yamasaki just needs a couple of games to get over nerves. There was a moment before one of his missed FGs late in the game during a long injury time-out where you could see him desperately trying to get advice from his teammates about wind direction. He looked panicked. The only football he's played in North America before Friday was 4 games in the Spring League last year. Now he finds himself in front of 35,000 hostile fans in a stadium where a lot of kickers struggle, on a team where no one speaks his language, and the game is on the line!

Once he settles in he should be OK. He's definitely got the leg (check out his 73 yard FG on IG https://www.bardown.com/x-league-kicker ... -1.1491655).
Luck1sOnOurSid3
Rookie

BC 1988 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:18 am
Luck1sOnOurSid3 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:40 pm
I will give Reilly credit for the help he gave Rourke on the sidelines. Lots of time on the tablet discussing the plays. To me, that should have been the extent of it. None of this making the HC look like a fool on TV.

As I said at the beginning of this thread, going in there with a frozen arm, unable to even grip the ball properly is the kind of thing you do when it is the Grey Cup and there is no tomorrow.

Against any properly functioning pass defense, those ducks should have been easily picked off (one very nearly was).

If you want to see more of that, you are a bigger fan of the Via Dolorosa than I am.
You have this weird fixation with him and trying to say he trying to be a Messiah. He is a gritty QB and even watching him in Edmonton he has been. You act like his play doesn’t match his attitude. His impact was obviously felt on the field and not just on the tablet. The entire game momentum changed when he went in. And then after getting us back in the game, he took himself out when he felt Rourke could get the win… which he almost did in his first start.

And how did Campbell look stupid? Reilly obviously was getting worked on by the training staff during half time. Felt good about it as they came out and told Campbell after the interview he could give it a go and Campbell put him in. How does Campbell look stupid? Because you think no decisions can be made by a coach between an interview and game play?