2021 CFL free agency

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Qman wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:53 pm
Team are going to run 150yds a game on us, given the NTs that are left.
I think you're assuming that there are zero US FA recruits at the interior of the line which I don't believe is the case. I am hearing the club is high on a couple of DTs (Kamalu, Neal) with NFL experience. Would I feel better with Almondo Sewell or Micah Johnson? Yes, but let's not forget that Johnson also bounced around NFL practice squads before coming north and Sewell didn't have any NFL experience prior to signing with Edmonton. If I am a CFL GM, I am spending less on CFL free-agent defensive tackles and running backs and more on skill positions like a QB, receivers and shutdown DBs.

That said, I do believe we're still woefully thin along the defensive line, so I would expect more recruiting and/or FA signings to shore up this area.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
OV - 54:40
Champion

David wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:44 pm
Qman wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:53 pm
Team are going to run 150yds a game on us, given the NTs that are left.
I think you're assuming that there are zero US FA recruits at the interior of the line which I don't believe is the case. I am hearing the club is high on a couple of DTs (Kamalu, Neal) with NFL experience. Would I feel better with Almondo Sewell or Micah Johnson? Yes, but let's not forget that Johnson also bounced around NFL practice squads before coming north and Sewell didn't have any NFL experience prior to signing with Edmonton. If I am a CFL GM, I am spending less on CFL free-agent defensive tackles and running backs and more on skill positions like a QB, receivers and shutdown DBs.

That said, I do believe we're still woefully thin along the defensive line, so I would expect more recruiting and/or FA signings to shore up this area.

Campbell (& Desjardins) brought in and handed playing time to, a whole slew of young import D-linemen the past couple of seasons in Ottawa; not many panned out good to even decent IMO - Tavai was amongst the best of them, but he is a DE.
David
Team Captain

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:24 pm
Campbell (& Desjardins) brought in and handed playing time to, a whole slew of young import D-linemen the past couple of seasons in Ottawa; not many panned out good to even decent IMO - Tavai was amongst the best of them, but he is a DE.
Different scouts though. We have Ryan Rigmaiden and his list of US contacts. I don't think you can necessarily say that because Campbell was a coach in Ottawa that our young import D-linemen won't pan out here either.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

One thing is clear with the defensive line: The Lions need to keep recruiting. Of more than 80 players on the roster, only two are listed as defensive tackles and two are listed as defensive linemen, including J.R. Tavai, who is projected as a starting end. Nine players are listed as defensive ends. All are listed at 235 to 257 lbs. except rookie Bryant Jones, who is built like a nose tackle at 6 ft. 1 and 304 lbs.
Champion

David wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:11 pm
Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:24 pm
Different scouts though. We have Ryan Rigmaiden and his list of US contacts. I don't think you can necessarily say that because Campbell was a coach in Ottawa that our young import D-linemen won't pan out here either.

Agreed - good point
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:02 pm
Backup linebacker and special teamer Mitch Barnett, who didn't re-sign with the Lions, has officially retired to become a firefighter.

LINEBACKER MITCH BARNETT ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT
Didn't quite register on the Richter Scale like SolE. But on the bright side as a firefighter he stands to get a nice raise over being a backup CFL LB/ special teamer.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:09 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:02 pm
Backup linebacker and special teamer Mitch Barnett, who didn't re-sign with the Lions, has officially retired to become a firefighter.

LINEBACKER MITCH BARNETT ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT
Didn't quite register on the Richter Scale like SolE. But on the bright side as a firefighter he stands to get a nice raise over being a backup CFL LB/ special teamer.

What's firefighter wage out there nowdays? 80K annual range ?

Vs. CFL minimum wage (? - 50K range? ) - for 6 months work basically.

Both jobs have significant time-off to look at other sources of income.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:49 pm
Hambone wrote:

Maybe for a rookie or one near the bottom of the totem pole. Put it this way the City of Prince George usually puts out an annual list of salaries paid to city employees in excess of $75K. I found the 2018 list and it showed something like 75 firefighters taking in more than $75K. About 53 of those 75 were over $100K on up to around $120K. This doesn't include Fire Captains who were all up in the $125K to $135K range. One Asst Chief was at $157K and the Fire Chief made $170K. Lots of OT in these gigs. Base pay for most of the 53 over $100K is $90K to as high as $108K then they have OT and vacation pay. on top of that.

Bret Anderson was a full-time firefighter in his last few years as a Lion. He continued to moonlight not because he had significant time off but because he was able to jig his firefighting shifts around enough to allow him to make the games and practices.

Saying football is a 6 month job is also not necessarily accurate. Most of these guys spend countless hours through most of the offseason hitting the gym and weights to keep in shape and prepare for the upcoming season. They may not spend nearly as much time doing that in the offseason as they do during the season but they still put in a ton of hours of their own offseason time working on their craft. These days no player can afford to show up in camp in anything less than close to game shape. You'd find that most NHL players will spend only about 3 weeks after the season decompressing and doing not much of anything. As soon as that 3 weeks is up it's back on the bike, running, in the gym etc all to prepare for the next season that is still a couple months away.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Argos have added Odell Willis to a defensive line rotation that already includes veteran acquisitions Charleston Hughes and Cordarro Law.

Mayor of The Six: Argonauts sign veteran defensive end Odell Willis
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:26 pm
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:49 pm
Hambone wrote:

Maybe for a rookie or one near the bottom of the totem pole. Put it this way the City of Prince George usually puts out an annual list of salaries paid to city employees in excess of $75K. I found the 2018 list and it showed something like 75 firefighters taking in more than $75K. About 53 of those 75 were over $100K on up to around $120K. This doesn't include Fire Captains who were all up in the $125K to $135K range. One Asst Chief was at $157K and the Fire Chief made $170K. Lots of OT in these gigs. Base pay for most of the 53 over $100K is $90K to as high as $108K then they have OT and vacation pay. on top of that.

Bret Anderson was a full-time firefighter in his last few years as a Lion. He continued to moonlight not because he had significant time off but because he was able to jig his firefighting shifts around enough to allow him to make the games and practices.

Saying football is a 6 month job is also not necessarily accurate. Most of these guys spend countless hours through most of the offseason hitting the gym and weights to keep in shape and prepare for the upcoming season. They may not spend nearly as much time doing that in the offseason as they do during the season but they still put in a ton of hours of their own offseason time working on their craft. These days no player can afford to show up in camp in anything less than close to game shape. You'd find that most NHL players will spend only about 3 weeks after the season decompressing and doing not much of anything. As soon as that 3 weeks is up it's back on the bike, running, in the gym etc all to prepare for the next season that is still a couple months away.
And CFL players can win bonus money for the play-offs/ GC on top of their minimum (at first) salary. And lots of connections or business opportunities can present themselves for pro athletes. Almost any young guy could have a part-time off season job and still be able to hit the gym almost everyday if they wanted to.

Not trying to argue that being a FF is a poor decision or not a worthy pursuit (my late father was a career Ottawa firefighter - 34 years service). Could be a great and lucrative career for many. Also has some work hazards and dangers.

But getting paid to play a game you grew up playing and love - even if it's just 50 to 60 K or so for a few years, more like part-time, and it's not a 9 to 5 boring grind - is not something to be sneezed at, and a lot of people would jump at the chance. That being said, IMO, the CFL should be moving to increase their minimum wage significantly (did it go up a bit last CBA?) A few players might be tempted to stick around a bit longer, but I doubt it would be a big factor to convince a back-up ST player to try to squeeze in another year or two; there are lots of young guys coming up every draft or free agency to replace them.
Murdoch
All Star

Corpse of Odell Willis signed by the Argos. More fun to come.

Younger than Charelston.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:39 am
And CFL players can win bonus money for the play-offs/ GC on top of their minimum (at first) salary. And lots of connections or business opportunities can present themselves for pro athletes. Almost any young guy could have a part-time off season job and still be able to hit the gym almost everyday if they wanted to.

Not trying to argue that being a FF is a poor decision or not a worthy pursuit (my late father was a career Ottawa firefighter - 34 years service). Could be a great and lucrative career for many. Also has some work hazards and dangers.
Min did go up to $65K in last CBA. It was to come into effect for 2020.

I wasn't trying to hint that offseason workouts deny athletes the ability to do things on the side. It just an acknowledgement that it is work most do to maintain their playing careers; not necessarily because they want to, but because they feel they have to. It's work they put in towards their job that they don't get paid for.

Firefighting is indeed a very worthy pursuit. A good many CFL players go on to pursue careers as firefighters when their playing days are over, police officers as well. Off the top of my head I know Jamie Buis, Giulio Caravatta, Bret Anderson and now Mitch Barnett became Lions turned firefighters. No doubt there are several more. Good on your dad for pursuing the career. Nobody on my dad's side of the family ever was ever involved. Vast majority were career loggers instead. However on my mom's side it was huge, almost ingrained. Just about every male on her side going back to her dad and uncle were either volunteer members of a fire department or paid fire chiefs. When my cousin retired as Fire Chief in Parksville it became that first time since it was founded in
WW II that a Banks was not in the department.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Linebacker Micah Awe has signed with Ottawa.

Dusty
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:20 pm
Linebacker Micah Awe has signed with Ottawa.

I always liked the way that Micah played..... fast on the ball and a good tackler..... I'm glad to see that he is continuing his career even if it is in Ottawa..... good wishes to him except when we play them....
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Micah Awe is one ex-Lion I would have loved to have seen return. Scratching my head at TO signing Odell Willis. He was clearly beyond his best before date in 2019 and I doubt he's going to be any better 2 years later. Maybe they picked him up cheap and will use him in limited situations?