2021 CFL free agency

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Montreal has signed DL Almondo Sewell from Edmonton.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:00 am
Naylor expects the Lions to sign former Edmonton RB Shaq Cooper. The American had 65 carries for 352 yards (5.4-yd. avg.) and 2 TDs in 2019. 3downnation.com is confirming it.

https://3downnation.com/2021/02/09/b-c- ... aq-cooper/

Cooper highlight reel:
I think I like that better than White or Gable.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:04 am
The Riders have signed twins Jordan and Justin Herdman-Reed.

https://3downnation.com/2021/02/09/ride ... dman-reed/
I don't know if that was deliberate on the Herdman-Reed bros or just came out that way but I did wonder if their agent(s) were looking for a place willing to reunite them and take them as a package deal.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Riders seem to be gobbling up more FAs than other teams combined, including high-profile linebacker Larry Dean and OL Evan Johnson.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:21 am
The Riders seem to be gobbling up more FAs than other teams combined, including high-profile linebacker Larry Dean and OL Evan Johnson.
I think it was a given Johnson would look to return home. Dean + Herdmans = Elimimian and Judge are gone.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

RB John White has reportedly been signed by Toronto.

https://3downnation.com/2021/02/09/argo ... ohn-white/
OV - 54:40
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:17 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:04 am
The Riders have signed twins Jordan and Justin Herdman-Reed.

https://3downnation.com/2021/02/09/ride ... dman-reed/
I don't know if that was deliberate on the Herdman-Reed bros or just came out that way but I did wonder if their agent(s) were looking for a place willing to reunite them and take them as a package deal.
* Edit* - oops, i saw Riders and thought it was old Ottawa that signed them; Riders make more sense i guess ? Didn't the Riders sign Larry Dean too? He would win-out over Jordan at MLB

Ottawa also signed ex_NFLer and Esk draft pick Stefan Charles, maybe to help go with Cleon Laing at DT for one of their 7 only .
Reg18
Starter

I agree that the the three 1bs we will take into the new season will be Reilly, Arndt and Rourke. I am excited to see Rourkes development as a pro. He has a great upside. Good arm, great runner.hopefully he will be a good leader as well. So much potential.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Canadian QB Michael O'Connor of UBC has signed in Calgary.

https://3downnation.com/2021/02/09/stam ... l-oconnor/
Hambone
Hall of Famer

3down speculating Calgary going hard after both OL Tyler Johnstone and OL Matt O'Donnell. Much like Wally used to be in his first several years in BC Huf typically doesn't partake much in free agency. However he typically doesn't lose two NAT starting OL to retirement only a few weeks before free agency.
Reg18
Starter

The only one that I mightbe interested in is Taylor Loffler a local guy, a hard hitting DB on Montrels list.
Reg18
Starter

I like what our Lions are doing with the current management structure. They have signed some impressive new talent and rxtending thevrightbplayers in my opinion they have a plan and seem to be executing well. A very competitive camp is coming!
Murdoch
All Star

Reg18 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:05 am
I like what our Lions are doing with the current management structure. They have signed some impressive new talent and rxtending thevrightbplayers in my opinion they have a plan and seem to be executing well. A very competitive camp is coming!
I will reserve judgement until they confirm your opinion on the field. I do wish them well.

Wondering if any contracts have been challenged and possibly holding up announcements. Hearing BC in on Cam Judge but nothing on Johnson.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have landed dynamic former Winnipeg WR/KR Lucky Whitehead, according to director of U.S. scouting Ryan Rigmaiden. I mentioned Whitehead yesterday when the Lions signed Chris Rainey. To me, Whitehead is the biggest B.C. signing of free agency. He can be the main kick returner and fifth receiver.

Murdoch
All Star

Hambone wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:14 am
I think I like that better than White or Gable.
Agree with an earlier post that mentioned needing two running backs in today's game and hope they at least bring back Rutley to help block. Shaq Cooper is more like Chris Rainey imo. A nice accessory but not essential.

Day is not over and more news to come.

Congrats on landing Lucky. I think you will like him. He is very disciplined in executing his assignments and will help the return team in multiple ways. Watching him in 2019 made me think he knew he was being filmed right to the whistle. No slacker issue here.

Not to be confused with Clermont as a blocker.