Lulay leaves front office

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Just learned that Travis is no longer part of the Lions' Corporate Partnerships Team, less than a year after re-joining the club in a business capacity. Global's Jay Janower reporting that the decision to leave was Travis's. It probably speaks to the lack of work available right now with so many businesses in survival mode.

I don't know what this all means, whether he's leaving the organization for good or if there may be something else for him (would love to see him get into coaching). Sad day. :sigh:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Well, I understand the sad sigh, David, however it may very well be for the best in every regard and for all concerned. Who knows the details/reasons behind the decision. But given Travis's character and intelligence the young man will solidly land on his feet, whatever unfolds, with whatever future endeavors. A favourite Leo he will always remain, so far as I'm concerned. I wish him well wherever his journey takes him. If it is with the BC Lions organization in some capacity, I'll be glad as anyone.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I had hoped to see him move into coaching. I wish him well. With no spectator sports this year, there's probably not much corporate partnership work to be done.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to Farhan Lalji, Lulay has moved to Oregon to join his family’s financial planning business. That’s probably a more stable profession for a family man but it’s sad to see him leave this market, where he has built up so much goodwill.

Dusty
Champion

I thought that Travis was brilliant on the radio during the pre and post game broadcasts. My first reaction is that he will certainly be missed on the broadcasts...... and then realized that its unlikely that there will be any broadcasts.... bummed out for both.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:03 pm
I had hoped to see him move into coaching. I wish him well. With no spectator sports this year, there's probably not much corporate partnership work to be done.
Given the current border restrictions it would have been nearly impossible to do a decent job in corporate sales. Even with today's technology one would be fairly limited without the ability to sit down face to face with prospective partners.

Many of us assumed Lulay would get into coaching and I don't think any of us would have an ounce of doubt that he would be anything but very successful. However when one sees the pictures of him with his 3 girls it's hard to imagine him being happy should he join the vagabond lifestyle and long hours that comes with being a football coach. Perhaps he will eventually get into that once the kids are grown up. In the meantime there will likely be a high school or minor football program down in Oregon who will get to enjoy his presence.
Last edited by Hambone on Thu May 07, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:01 am
Given the current border restrictions it would have been nearly impossible to do a decent job in corporate sales. Even with today's technology one would be fairly limited without the ability to sit down face to face with prospective partners.
That's a good point. I believe he and his family lived in Blaine WA or one of the border towns and he would commute into Surrey. With the borders being closed except for essential travel, coupled with the challenges of building new partnerships in a troubled economy amid league uncertainty, it does make sense that he would re-evaluate his future with the club.

More details here:

https://www.bclions.com/2020/05/07/ill- ... adventure/

Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:46 am
Hambone wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:01 am
That's a good point. I believe he and his family lived in Blaine WA or one of the border towns and he would commute into Surrey. With the borders being closed except for essential travel, coupled with the challenges of building new partnerships in a troubled economy amid league uncertainty, it does make sense that he would re-evaluate his future with the club.

More details here:

https://www.bclions.com/2020/05/07/ill- ... adventure/

That's a fitting send-off for one of the greats to wear orange. When it seems like we are on the brink of cancellation of the season (and beyond?), it was his best choice to make.

He certainly does have the aptitude to get into coaching at some point (if and when stability returns to the football world).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A total class guy. I wish the very best for him and his family.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ed Willes adds more details and comments from Lulay. He made the decision for family reasons but he isn't closing the door forever on coaching football.
“It’s something I considered for the longest time,” he says over the phone from Stayton. “I am a coach. It’s in my blood. The question was, did I want it to be my career?

“You never say never. I don’t doubt it will come up again. But, 100 per cent this is about my family.”
Ed Willes: 'Lifer' Lulay leaves Lions, opting for security of working with family
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I wonder if in the future Lulay can be enticed by TSN to do some TV broadcasts. The couple of times that I saw him as a colour commentator he was like the CFL's version of the NFL's Tony Romo: former QB now announcer looks at the Defensive Formation, then tells the TV audience what the QB will do before the ball is snapped. :beauty:
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I imagine this was a decision made on how to best provide for his family. With the very real prospect of no 2020 season Lulay would be basically unemployed. Most sales jobs include a commission based salary, and this is when those commissions would start to roll in.

A 10-year NFL QB might be able to retire at 36 and not worry about his family, but not even one of the CFL's best can afford that luxury. I'm pretty sure we will see him back in football as a coach one day. No one is going to soon forget Travis Lulay.