Vancouver Football teams need to win back fans

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

D
Team Captain

Great article in biv I stumbled on
Not sure about the whitecaps but I think the author did a great job summarizing the lions Status
https://biv.com/article/2020/03/vancouv ... local-fans
I own The Grey Cup! .com
cromartie
Hall of Famer

the Lions get a healthy average of 110,000 viewers

For some perspective, this equates to basically a 5.0 television Rating in the Vancouver market, which means the Lions have the television viability, at the moment, of your average NHL team in an American market.

I'm still an optimist, so I think that's the floor. I do think the club does a good job marketing the product and invests as heavily as it can (given the current ownership budget restraints) in a community presence.

The butts in the seats issue is a problem in pretty much every sport, unless you own the market. In general, though, win and they will come; the season after you've won.
David
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:49 am
the Lions get a healthy average of 110,000 viewers

For some perspective, this equates to basically a 5.0 television Rating in the Vancouver market, which means the Lions have the television viability, at the moment, of your average NHL team in an American market.

I'm still an optimist, so I think that's the floor. I do think the club does a good job marketing the product and invests as heavily as it can (given the current ownership budget restraints) in a community presence.

The butts in the seats issue is a problem in pretty much every sport, unless you own the market. In general, though, win and they will come; the season after you've won.
As I reported in the 2020 Marketing thread, Ambrosie claimed the Leos' average TV viewership last week as 125,000. Regardless, I think it is a decent number given the tire fire 2019 season and the fact the club has hosted only 1 playoff game since 2012 (a West Semi), going an uninspiring 61-71 - including playoff smackdowns - during that span.

I agree. I think the Lions marketing (including their social media content and presence) has greatly improved. I think they work as well as can be expected within their budget. Not entirely sure what they were smoking with the "Nothing Rhymes With Orange" campaign, but give them props for trying something different.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

BC isn't the only one struggling to host playoff games in the West since 2012. While hosting only one seems brutal they aren't alone. There's been 14 playoff games in the West since 2012.

Calgary leads the way hosting half of them. They've hosted a game every year since 2011. That leaves the other 7 West home playoff games since 2012 split amongst the other 4 teams. Saskatchewan has hosted in 3 of the 7 years, Edmonton twice and Winnipeg and BC once each. Winnipeg of course was in the East in 2013 but they finished last and out of the playoffs.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
cms22
Starter

didn't read the article. i will........

lions need to win to get fans, just like many cfl, ncaa and even nfl teams.

BUT, the lions also need to shift the attendance upwards on a secular basis. the high and low attendance needs to increase by 5000 each. it might be tapered where high attendance would increase 10000............... note that i'm assuming no constraints on attendance i.e. lions could open part of upper deck.

i'm told happy valley simulcast at 3 am that they have at hastings park swarms with people (i have heard the opposite too but mostly that it's very popular). i think lions have to give thought to how to bring in the non-traditional fan. tailgate with mini-night market/craft fair... just thinking out loud.......... fyi, happy valley is one of hong kong's 2 horse race tracks. betting for the two HK tracks is greater than entire north american horse race betting
cms22
Starter

giving free tickets to kids is a great idea............ get schools to compete for spirit awards. lots and lots of cheap prizes. (people usually just want a prize. they don't care what it is. could be a 25 cent promotional lions pen)

kids with parents = deep discounted parent tix.

in both cases, i don't mean necessarily you can attend all 9 home games this way. but get the rolling.