Who Will Be BC Lions new coach?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who Will Be BC Lions new coach?

Rick Campbell
71%
Paul Lapolice
13%
Jason Maas
13%
Mike Benevides
4%
Mark Washington
No votes
Marcel Bellefeuille
No votes
Chris Jones
No votes
Khari Jones
No votes
Mike O'Shea
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 24
The_Pauser
Legend

Hoping for Campbell, expecting Maas.
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:02 am
Much of Khari Jones inadequacies when he was a Lions OC was being required to call plays that Wally wanted. As a HC in Montreal, Jones has the freedom to be a great coach but my guess is that he will remain in Montreal, after he wins my choice as CFL Coach of the Year.
Bingo ! Jones can now be his own man free from the shackles of Buono. Same with Mark Washington
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Reggiemac wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:01 pm
indont think Hervey should be allowed to sign anyone before new ownership takes over. first thing to do will be to hire a new GM. another move by Hervey to save his skin. he should be fired asap.
The problem is that Braley isn't going to sell despite what he's saying
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The_Pauser wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:31 pm
If Maas gets canned Campbell will be just as much of a candidate in Edmonton as he would be in BC. And he's familiar with the likes of Harris, Ellingson and others.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:53 pm
The_Pauser wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:31 pm
If Maas gets canned Campbell will be just as much of a candidate in Edmonton as he would be in BC. And he's familiar with the likes of Harris, Ellingson and others.
^^^ This is why I hope that Esks beat Als in the East semifinal and then Maas keeps his job in Edmonton.
David
Team Captain

What about Campbell as HC and Maas as OC?

Reunited.

Problem solved.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:48 pm

Reunited.

Problem solved.

Kinda doubt Maas would look at an OC job right away if there are HC jobs available. So far there are two for him to pursue if he gets dusted. Might be one or two more before anybody is sipping champagne from Earl Grey's Goblet.
ziggy
Legend

I think Benevides is coming back in some capacity. If not HC then DC.
The_Pauser
Legend

ziggy wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:55 pm
I think Benevides is coming back in some capacity. If not HC then DC.
Why do you think that?

I wouldn't bring back Benevides as HC, but as DC or STC I wouldn't have a problem. We absolutely need to address our STC and shouldn't have let Reinbold go.

I would be thrilled with Rick Campbell as HC and Jason Maas as OC, but as mentioned above it's unlikely Maas takes an OC job right away and probably holds out for another HC gig.
Roar you Lions roar!
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:19 pm
David wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:48 pm

Reunited.

Problem solved.

Kinda doubt Maas would look at an OC job right away if there are HC jobs available. So far there are two for him to pursue if he gets dusted. Might be one or two more before anybody is sipping champagne from Earl Grey's Goblet.
Given that Maas formerly worked with Campbell, his close relationship with Mike Reilly, Northwest roots, and familiarity with the talent here, I wouldn't rule out the OC job.

It's doubtful given that the Esks missed the playoffs last year, only made the crossover this year despite a talent-rich squad, combined with his volatile personality and all the undisciplined penalties his team annually takes, that he's going to be the front-runner for any CFL head coaching vacancy.

We may need to fill that OC spot before he's finished waiting, but Maas to BC as the next OC is not an impossibility IMO.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Maas was an ok QB. He wan't what I would call the most intellectual of players. His play on the field while competent wasn't brilliant. I know that being a coach and a player are two different things but at the QB position, I do think that watching a player on the field does offer some window into how he might be as an OC. Do I think he is creative or innovative enough for the OC position? He wouldn't be my first pick. Think about Jarious Jackson and how he played as a QB. Not that imaginative. Kind of the same way I feel about Maas.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:06 pm
Maas was an ok QB. He wan't what I would call the most intellectual of players. His play on the field while competent wasn't brilliant. I know that being a coach and a player are two different things but at the QB position, I do think that watching a player on the field does offer some window into how he might be as an OC. Do I think he is creative or innovative enough for the OC position? He wouldn't be my first pick. Think about Jarious Jackson and how he played as a QB. Not that imaginative. Kind of the same way I feel about Maas.
I wonder how Henry Burris might feel about coaching?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:26 am
Given that Maas formerly worked with Campbell, his close relationship with Mike Reilly, Northwest roots, and familiarity with the talent here, I wouldn't rule out the OC job.

It's doubtful given that the Esks missed the playoffs last year, only made the crossover this year despite a talent-rich squad, combined with his volatile personality and all the undisciplined penalties his team annually takes, that he's going to be the front-runner for any CFL head coaching vacancy.

We may need to fill that OC spot before he's finished waiting, but Maas to BC as the next OC is not an impossibility IMO.

I still think it's highly improbable that after 4 years as an HC he'd jump at the first OC job that comes his way even if there are all those other favourable factors. Typically fired HCs top priority is to land another HC job ASAP. If none are available they tend to step back for a year in hopes of another HC opportunity might present itself either part way through the upcoming season or after it's over. If it doesn't THEN they will look at coordinator jobs. If Maas did come out this way as OC he would likely only do so if it's on a 1 year contract basis to keep his 2021 options open.

Doug Berry, Mike Benevides, Rich Stubler, Jim Barker, Tom Higgins, Corey Chamblin, Jeff Reinbold, Dave Ritchie and Paul LaPolice are just a few names of HCs who did not coach in any CFL capacity the season following their dismissal.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:07 pm
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:06 pm
I wonder how Henry Burris might feel about coaching?
Long shot. Hank loves being behind a microphone or on TV. I can't remember what he majored in at Temple but it was media related. Even at that he chose to give up his full time gig with CTV in Ottawa this year because of the ridiculous hours and schedule he worked when he combined the TSN work with it. Being involved in coaching would put him right back into the same sort of grinder and away from his kids and other initiatives.

Here's an article from a couple weeks before training camps opened this year.

https://ottawasun.com/sports/football/c ... nry-burris
The_Pauser
Legend

Rick Dhaliwal reporting that Rick Campbell is the guy, and that he would be surprised if Campbell isn’t the next head coach of the BC Lions.
Roar you Lions roar!