Hamilton at B.C. Aug. 24, 2019 - Post Game Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Might as well start the postmortem.

The game isn't over ......
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

yup..time to tip the king over
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

The Post game summary.

Worst start in 50 years 1-9. They don't look dangerous at all. They are losing to rookie QB's. They are making play calls that defy anything reasonable or rational.

This team is dead from the neck up.
cms22
Starter

only saw about half the game tonight.....

a couple of things jump out from the stats.........

we gave up 7 sacks.......... had 1 sack ourselves.

so many penalties on special teams. i believe 8 penalties. think of that.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

The decision to sign Reilly and hire Claybrooks look like bad decisions for team is 1 and 9 and just as bad as when Paul Brothers was the QB. If Lions go 1 and 15, will TSN run clips of events in 1954? Embarrassing.

Though Claybrooks signed a 3 year contract, I predict if Lions are sold before the end of the season, both he and Hervey will be fired. They will eat his salary and want to build this team from ground up with new GM and coach. If this was 1969 and not 2019, Claybrooks would be fired. Does anyone know was the coach fired in 1969 mid season?

It will be 1 and 10 after game in Montreal. This game was winnable and they gave it away with bonehead decisions and no offence till the very end when it was too late.
cms22
Starter

on the sacks, i believe this is our tally so far this season,

opponents sacks: 43

lions sacks: 11

how can that be? but i checked it during the game and added the games sacks to the season total.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Thompson had 4 penalties on special teams. He should be cut.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Hey that works out to more than 1 sack a game. Things are looking up. Of course that would be expected when you are in a hole so deep that even the dinosaurs are above you.
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Two losses to the Ticats in two games:

35 - 34

13-10

Point total difference: 4 pts.

Too many ST penalties. #23 Thompson racked up some 4 of 8. Inexcusable.

Jackson needs to be replaced as play caller. Turn it over to Nik Lewis.

Demote ST coach.

GM ED - this is pretty much all on him.

QB - Given that the Lions are re-building now they have the wrong QB and Backup for this situation. Older QB that can't ever be spotted for short yardage.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:22 pm
Does anyone know was the coach fired in 1969 mid season?

It will be 1 and 10 after game in Montreal.
Jim Champion was fired mid season in 1969. The Lions went on to finish 5-11 and actually made the playoffs.

I think I will be cheering for Montreal in 2 weeks. A win actually means something for them and the Als/Adams are the story of the year in the CFL.
cms22
Starter

how do things work with contracts in the CFL?

frankly, i think alot of the money we are playing high profile veterans (and sukh chung) could be better spent on younger players next year..........

i think the problems are so deep that i would get rid of almost every high paid veteran. even bryan burnham. maybe keep figueroa. and some canadians have looked ok.

basically i would get rid of reilly, willis, carter for sure if you don't have to pay them next year. not sure how the rules work and not sure all are signed for next season.

the big thing is reilly is old. and it seems like, for whatever reason, young CFL QB's have been alot better than years past.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

cms22 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:35 pm
how do things work with contracts in the CFL?

frankly, i think alot of the money we are playing high profile veterans (and sukh chung) could be better spent on younger players next year..........

i think the problems are so deep that i would get rid of almost every high paid veteran. even bryan burnham. maybe keep figueroa. and some canadians have looked ok.

basically i would get rid of reilly, willis, carter for sure if you don't have to pay them next year. not sure how the rules work and not sure all are signed for next season.

the big thing is reilly is old. and it seems like, for whatever reason, young CFL QB's have been alot better than years past.
At this point in the season most of veteran salaries are guaranteed for the remainder of the season. We may see a few young guys cut, but the vets are secure thanks to the SMS.
cms22
Starter

Belize City, thx very much.. i was aware of that due to earlier debates about it on here... i was thinking next season.

i think given how lost this team is that they need to spend $$$$$ on what i'd call preferential young free agents. get the best USA prospects at some key positions. i have no idea if you are able to spend money that way.

completely unrelated to earlier comments but i think a player/role they haven't replaced is chris rainey. i feel like he was nice change of pace back. kept the defense honest. and there are tons of those type players at smaller college NCAA, albeit few as talented as chris rainey.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

With the shocking news of Colts' QB Andrew Luck retiring today due to chronic pain and repeated injuries rehab -- both of which he says he's had enough of--one wonders if Mike Reilly won't be envious, and rightfully so --i.e. the prospect of not feeling the pain anymore. He's not the type to throw in the towel, but he sure looked and sounded world-weary. Getting knocked around like that all night long, game after game, will take its toll one way or another.
That said, Mike was holding the ball too long a few too many times tonight. That contributed to the nightmare. But he's certainly not the crux of the problem.
There's just gotta' be something seriously wrong/lacking with Brian Chui's coaching to have this embarrassment on the o-line go on all season long so far despite the rotation of players who try and yet fail to protect the pivot. I'm exhausted just watching.
The players must be mental wrecks, feeling shell-shocked. Sadly I've lived long enough and been a Leos' fan long enough to remember the miserable late 1960s. I don't wish to revisit that. I feel indifference creeping in, and it easier given all the new players on the roster who I have no emotional connection with. I could name only two or three who'd I'd truly miss.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Enough. Im done.

Go Seahawks