If no coach is fired, what would you advise in the short term?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:44 am
i) Cut veterans who aren't performing before their contract is guaranteed for the rest of the year. (hello Odell Willis).

ii) Play guys on the practice and see if they have what it takes going forward.

iii) Bring in NFL cuts and play them (see #2)

iv) Can't see the Lions make a major trade. Contenders are basically set in terms of their roster for the rest of the year. Besides who on the Lion roster would other teams want other than Burnham, Reilly and Lee ? The latter 3 is the building blocks for the future.

v) Sorry Toppy, I'm unavailable to help the Lions. Fishing season is around the corner. :wink:
Odell is already guaranteed as are any vets of 6 or more years of service. You're down to vets of 5 years of service (including this season) or less who have to be cut this week to get off the salary hook.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
ziggy
Legend

I think we need to sit Riley for a bit especially,when the games out of hand I think he’s had the crap kicked out of him both physically and mentally. He appears to be hurting physically and he’s not seeing neither the coverage nor pressure. Use the backup at least for part of the game! Season is pretty much a write off so why waste our best player.

Whether it’s the OC calls or PTSD from the beating he’s been taking, he holds on to the ball far too long and takes way to many hits.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Scotch. Bourbon. Vodka. Rum.

Cuts. Plain and simple. Willis. Peters. Carter. Thompson. Foucault.

Not much we can do with coaches but the broom needs to come out after the last game this year.

The biggest name we need to get rid of is Braley. New owners, new energy, new everything. We're just spinning what's left of our wheels.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:45 pm

The biggest name we need to get rid of is Braley. New owners, new energy, new everything. We're just spinning what's left of our wheels.
We already have pretty much have new everything in the past 18 months except Braley. What will a new regime do over and above what the new President, GM, HC, coaching staff and QB are delivering?
JohnnyMusso
Champion

pennw wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:10 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:25 am
or bring in the best of Liionbackers.com like WCJ, Blitz, BC Fan, TLK, Dano, Musso, Sammy Greene etc?
HaHa , nice joke there , but they can all thank you for the ego boost .
At this stage we could do no worse. Thanks also for the ego boost.
pennw
Legend

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:47 pm
pennw wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:10 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:25 am
or bring in the best of Liionbackers.com like WCJ, Blitz, BC Fan, TLK, Dano, Musso, Sammy Greene etc?
HaHa , nice joke there , but they can all thank you for the ego boost .
At this stage we could do no worse. Thanks also for the ego boost.
We haven't lost 65-0 yet so actually you could do worse . And you're welcome . :wink:
Luck1sOnOurSid3
Rookie

pennw wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:06 pm
David wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:52 pm
At some point, the club is going to have to admit that Tyler Altilio was the wrong hire. 9 games in and the club is an absolute shambles for 1/3 of the game. I hate predicting anyone's demise, and I'm not saying he won't be capable in the future. But right now, he is way out of his depth.

I've said it before, but Mike Benevides would be an immediate upgrade as STC. He has had experience at it before with Calgary and BC and was Edmonton's DC last year. He is a motivational type and has publicly stated that he bleeds orange. Get this done now before things get worse!

DH :cool:
Mike Benevides would actually be an instant upgrade on our DC also .
Doesn’t Bene run the same style of “bend-but-don’t-break” defense that Stubler does?
David
Team Captain

That's a hard pass for Bennie as DC, but HELL YA to special teams coordinator.

Is it a case of guys trying to do too much...or not knowing what TF they're supposed to do??

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Orange_crush
prospect

W/O firing any coaches this year I would promote Marcus Howell as ST coordinator,make Nik Lewis receivers coach(his position as a former player)and bring in Lulay as running backs coach.Who could be ass’t QB coach,as well.The Lions offence is good,and they have the players to be better on special teams.Its their schemes,positioning that are killing them.Clearly Altilio is out of his element,outcoached by the opposition on ST every game.I would demote him to a non coaching position.Maybe a scout to pick up NFL cuts.Especially on defence.And give Claybrooks a chance to prove himself as HC.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Luck1sOnOurSid3 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:07 am
pennw wrote:
David wrote:
At some point, the club is going to have to admit that Tyler Altilio was the wrong hire. 9 games in and the club is an absolute shambles for 1/3 of the game. I hate predicting anyone's demise, and I'm not saying he won't be capable in the future. But right now, he is way out of his depth.

I've said it before, but Mike Benevides would be an immediate upgrade as STC. He has had experience at it before with Calgary and BC and was Edmonton's DC last year. He is a motivational type and has publicly stated that he bleeds orange. Get this done now before things get worse!

Doesn’t Bene run the same style of “bend-but-don’t-break” defense that Stubler does?
Benevides and Stubler have crossed paths a few times. While Bene was DC he brought Stubler in to be DLC back in 2010. Then when Bene was promoted to HC in 2012 one of the first thing he did was bring in Stubler to be DC. Stubler would be Bene's DC for 2 of his 3 years as HC.
pennw
Legend

Luck1sOnOurSid3 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:07 am
pennw wrote:
David wrote:

Yes , Stubler was a mentor earlier in Bene's career just as he was for Mark Washington . I think that is where they all learned the "bend but don't break" philosophy , which really is just " prevent defense". And we all know what "prevent defense" does , prevents victory most of the time . Funny thing is , after years of being critical of Bene and MW's defense some were clamoring to get the Stubler defense back here and Stubler was the source of that philosophy in the first place .
What MW and Bene both got over Stubler is their age , they got years to go to unlearn weak defense ,improve (at least in MW's case) and evolve into better DCs . MW has that opportunity now with the Ticats to coach a good defense. Certainly Orlondo Steinauer did not see things the way many here did on MW and hired him for his DC in his first stint as a HC . And so far it looks like Steinauer was right . A good opportunity for MW , a much better situation then he would have gotten into here. Don't know if Steinauer had the opportunity to hire Stubler first , but if he did decline on Stubler , he made a wise choice .
pennw
Legend

David wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:50 am
That's a hard pass for Bennie as DC, but HELL YA to special teams coordinator.

Is it a case of guys trying to do too much...or not knowing what TF they're supposed to do??

I wasn't actually advocating for Bene's return , just saying he would be an upgrade over what we got .
pennw
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:03 pm

Benevides and Stubler have crossed paths a few times. While Bene was DC he brought Stubler in to be DLC back in 2010. Then when Bene was promoted to HC in 2012 one of the first thing he did was bring in Stubler to be DC. Stubler would be Bene's DC for 2 of his 3 years as HC.

But of course it was with Bene as DC we won the GC , and then got eliminated by an inferior Riders team2 years later due to Stubler's prevent D.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If the Argos can bring in Jonathan Compton as an offensive assistant to Jacques Chapdelaine why can't the Lions hire someone to "assist" Jarius Jackson.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I think Rolly Lumbala still lives in the lower mainland, and is working as a personal trainer. He couldn't be any worse than Atillio, and he would be a positive influence in the room.