If no coach is fired, what would you advise in the short term?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

My sense is that big moves in the coaching staff won't happen but something needs to change as more of the same won't get BC a different result.

Assuming no coach is fired but everything else is on the table to get quick results and get this team back on the winning track, what would you do as either GM or HC?

We know Braley trusts his people to fix things up and is not likely to pay large severances to a HC or GM.

Many choices - what do others think?

A. NFL cuts

B. Trade in the CFL

C. Change starters

D. re-aligning coaching staff such as a new ST coach (in effect demoting Altilio) or play calling on offence or Claybrooks taking over as DC. Bring in special adviser or a sports psychologist or PTSD consultant or Wally or Jeff Tedford or bring in the best of Liionbackers.com like WCJ, Blitz, BC Fan, TLK, Dano, Musso, Sammy Greene etc?

E. Other ideas?

OR

F... as in Frig it - fire someone and who cares if BC mirrors Montreal - we're losing anyways!
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

i) Cut veterans who aren't performing before their contract is guaranteed for the rest of the year. (hello Odell Willis).

ii) Play guys on the practice and see if they have what it takes going forward.

iii) Bring in NFL cuts and play them (see #2)

iv) Can't see the Lions make a major trade. Contenders are basically set in terms of their roster for the rest of the year. Besides who on the Lion roster would other teams want other than Burnham, Reilly and Lee ? The latter 3 is the building blocks for the future.

v) Sorry Toppy, I'm unavailable to help the Lions. Fishing season is around the corner. :wink:
Foxhound
Starter

That DeVone Claybrooks get himself a three piece suit, fedora, wing-tip shoes and a walking stick. While that may or may not help the Lions win, at least he'd look better on the sidelines win or lose.

Failing that, resign Willie Fleming and Jim Young. That anyway might sell a few more tickets to games.

:mac:
Radically Canadian!
David
Team Captain

At some point, the club is going to have to admit that Tyler Altilio was the wrong hire. 9 games in and the club is an absolute shambles for 1/3 of the game. I hate predicting anyone's demise, and I'm not saying he won't be capable in the future. But right now, he is way out of his depth.

I've said it before, but Mike Benevides would be an immediate upgrade as STC. He has had experience at it before with Calgary and BC and was Edmonton's DC last year. He is a motivational type and has publicly stated that he bleeds orange. Get this done now before things get worse!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Ride it out and make the best of a bad situation. I too feel they will not fire anyone till the end of the season. The season is lost so rest of the games meaningless except for players playing for jobs next year.

I would advise Lions decide over the next few weeks who will stay and who will go for players and then when the NFL cuts come airlift new players in and airlift players out they feel do not fit in with their future plans. That is what Farhan feels they need to do and I agree with him. They have to make change this year with the roster and show progress. If they finish 1 and 17 or 2 and 16 that would be a disaster and Ed Hervey may take the fall if that comes to pass.

In the offseason, they need to decide if they want Ed Hervey back. That is the first decision. After than he or new GM decide fate of all the coaches.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Mike B is vacationing in Eurpoe and already said he will not consider any new job till the offseason.

Demoting Taylor A would be a good idea but I doubt it will happen. That is like being fired.

All I know if it is all quiet on the Lions front and no change happens before the Tiger Cats game they will lose again and it will not be pretty. More of the same mistakes.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Lions need to cut vets underperforming and on top of my list is Odell Willis. He may be close to Ed, but in this business you cannot be friends with the players. They have to make tough decisions and he is done. Replace him with a young NFL cut DE they are high on that could be available soon.

I would also bring in a middle linebacker. Herdman is not good enough.

The new linebacker who got a sack last night looked pretty good. Play him more

Cut Anthony Thompson and David F.
maxlion
Legend

It's all about next year and building some confidence with the fans that things will get better.

If you can trade a vet on an expiring contract for a draft pick or promising young player, do it.

Bring in some NFL cuts for evaluation.

Focus on scouting and player development.

Evaluate coaches. They will need to decide if they will give Claybrooks a second chance next year. Not sure that Hervey has the authority to make these decisions given his own contract status.

They have to do something to protect their star QB better asap. A season ending injury to Reilly would really keep the fans away.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

This may be a bit off topic, but one Vancouver team did fire someone today. If that can happen, then anything with the Lions is possible:

Longtime Vancouver Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi is out of his current role after the club announced it will begin a search for a sporting director.

If Lenarduzzi loses his job, then Ed Hervey could if Lions continue down the path of losing and badly in the 4th quarter.
Bosco
Team Captain

Based on the current state of the team, next Saturday's home game against the Ticats should be marketed as "Sit In Your Own Row Night".

Yes, attendance will be THAT bad.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:08 pm
Based on the current state of the team, next Saturday's home game against the Ticats should be marketed as "Sit In Your Own Row Night".

Yes, attendance will be THAT bad.
Or Guarantee Loss Night.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:44 am
i) Cut veterans who aren't performing before their contract is guaranteed for the rest of the year. (hello Odell Willis).

iv) Can't see the Lions make a major trade. Contenders are basically set in terms of their roster for the rest of the year. Besides who on the Lion roster would other teams want other than Burnham, Reilly and Lee ? The latter 3 is the building blocks for the future.

v) Sorry Toppy, I'm unavailable to help the Lions. Fishing season is around the corner. :wink:
Basically this.

the only thing I would add is that making the decision now about who comes back next year coach wise would be a good thing. It is time to start canvassing for possible replacements next season.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:44 am

Basically this.

the only thing I would add is that making the decision now about who comes back next year coach wise would be a good thing. It is time to start canvassing for possible replacements next season.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
pennw
Legend

David wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:52 pm
At some point, the club is going to have to admit that Tyler Altilio was the wrong hire. 9 games in and the club is an absolute shambles for 1/3 of the game. I hate predicting anyone's demise, and I'm not saying he won't be capable in the future. But right now, he is way out of his depth.

I've said it before, but Mike Benevides would be an immediate upgrade as STC. He has had experience at it before with Calgary and BC and was Edmonton's DC last year. He is a motivational type and has publicly stated that he bleeds orange. Get this done now before things get worse!

DH :cool:
Mike Benevides would actually be an instant upgrade on our DC also .
pennw
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:25 am
or bring in the best of Liionbackers.com like WCJ, Blitz, BC Fan, TLK, Dano, Musso, Sammy Greene etc?
HaHa , nice joke there , but they can all thank you for the ego boost .