Coaching or Lack of it?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

VictoriaFan
Starter

Can't understand why someone would get all bent and yelly (caps) over a stupid hat, my wife would say," there's Wally chewing his nails again" and he lost lots of games, maybe Nettle should go be a Riders fan I'm sure they'd love his ranting on their forums
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It's not unusual for fans to lose it when their team is on a bit of a losing streak as they lose perspective and of course - unlike players and coaches - fans can't do anything about it but to get bent out of shape by the hat of a HC etc is plain insanity.

On a different note here's a very heart felt story from Ray Nettles on you tube with the The Florida Times-Union
Published on Feb 24, 2012
Ray Nettles, 59, a hard living, hard playing, hard partying football player from Jacksonville is now in the final fight of his life. Nettles played at Englewood HS, Tennessee and was inducted into the CFL Hall of Fame in 2005. Bruce Lipsky

And on his Argo days vs Montreal with some clips on him:

"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:35 am

I fault the Lions for not putting out a hands team on the onside kick. The Stamps ST coach had those guys prepared better and their kicker looks prepared to know how to keep the ball in the air long enough - something lacking in most kickers these days.
I didn't notice who exactly was out there but I do know the Stampeder who hauled the ball in beat out the best set of hands BC has in Bryan Burnham. I know Lionbackers hate that "execute" word but every now and then one has to give the opposition credit. I thought Calgary executed that onside kick to perfection.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:07 pm

And on his Argo days vs Montreal with some clips on him:

Video blocked by NFL
cms22
Starter

i think the GM is the huge problem. doesn't mean HC or OC haven't had issues but i think GM completely overshadows it.

i will throw this comment/question here as i don't want to start another thread.

i've noticed in the cfl that even though there are 5 or 6 receivers (6 if tailback goes out), but CFL team stats for a game are often skewed to 1 or 2 receivers..... how hard can it be to scheme to stop a receiver that a QB uses as primary receiver every play? it's a big mental adjustment for a QB to have to go to 2nd or 3rd option as 1st option. i understand that shutting down #1 receiver may mean more receiving yards for others but when #1 receiver is 60% of receiving yards it seems so obvious.......
\
i will note that i'm nor familiar with physical contact at line of scrimmage but if allowed i'd harass that #1 receiver aggressively. and then maybe drop that CB into zone. or do zone with one player on playing man coverage. i realize this idea might be inane.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:43 pm
Like you I too am very disappointed at the Lions 0-3 start. In all fairness to Devone Claybrooks, it's way too early to call for his firing. There has been numerous personnel changes made in the off season. Does anyone really expect to see a cohesive team playing on eight cylinders after 3 games and 2 weeks of training camp ? Takes time for a team to jell. Although tonight's loss (especially the way they lost) is tough to take, I do note that there are a lot of improvement and positives.
I would have to agree with this. 3 games, a team that in reality has been in transition/turmoil for a number of years now. The rot went far deeper than just the players on the field. It was right the way through and led back to a person who was basically in every pot of the BC Lions for the last decade. You can't erase that overnight, nor is a rookie coach who is basically learning his role as the boss necessarily going to have a fully developed sense of where he fits in the scheme of things or how to handle every situation. Probably should have reamed Stubler out for his play calling in the last 2 or 3 minutes of that game. Maybe he did but that is a tough thing to know for sure how to handle that situation given your relative newness to the over position of head honcho.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Fred.Fonce
Rookie

I love this forum, am a peruser of many Canucks forums, and am always impressed how collegial, level headed and extremely well informed this forum is compared to most hockey forums. I learn a lot about the game here and don't comment too often unless I think I have something to offer, which is rare.
Reading the OP's rants compels me to comment.
I see the FB trolls under each B.C. Lions article ranting about the coach's hat, and nothing else. That is a thinly veiled code for racism.
OP you are so out of touch with what this forum is all about. No place for that here.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Fred.Fonce wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:20 pm
I love this forum, am a peruser of many Canucks forums, and am always impressed how collegial, level headed and extremely well informed this forum is compared to most hockey forums. I learn a lot about the game here and don't comment too often unless I think I have something to offer, which is rare.
Reading the OP's rants compels me to comment.
I see the FB trolls under each B.C. Lions article ranting about the coach's hat, and nothing else. That is a thinly veiled code for racism.
OP you are so out of touch with what this forum is all about. No place for that here.
Well said. Post more often.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Pistrinus
Rookie

I think coaching staff made two mistakes that lost the game , not having a proper goal line offence at the end of the second half and of course the onside kick , the rest of the game was fine . This game was a huge improvement from the first two games , now if the coaches keep on making mistakes then we can go all in
David
Team Captain

Pistrinus wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:01 am
I think coaching staff made two mistakes that lost the game , not having a proper goal line offence at the end of the second half and of course the onside kick , the rest of the game was fine . This game was a huge improvement from the first two games , now if the coaches keep on making mistakes then we can go all in
I agree on the goalline play at the end of the half. I loved the decision (going for it on 3rd and 1), hated the call (QB sneak).

I know Mike's a big guy who's probably had success running it in the past, but Calgary needed more to think about. There should have been some motion or guys spread wider so they don't just load the box.

We have two capable backs (and a 250lb fullback). What about a hand-off to White to dive into the endzone? Or Rutley lined up in the backfield, maybe a fake hand-off bootleg. Something a little more creative than what we saw.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

After watching the onside kick about 10 times, it was clearly a coaching blunder. The Stamps had 9 players on the left side of the field. The Lions had 5 players lined up on that side in front of Burnham. They didn't have a chance.

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:16 pm
After watching the onside kick about 10 times, it was clearly a coaching blunder. The Stamps had 9 players on the left side of the field. The Lions had 5 players lined up on that side in front of Burnham. They didn't have a chance.

...and why the coaches think only Burnham can save them from the onside kick is hopefully a key learning point.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Another great analysis from theratiobreaker.com, breaking down Calgary's successful onside kick against the Lions.

The Anatomy of a Play: The Klukas Onside Kick
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Well done, theratiobreaker.

Detailed, fresh game preparation and planning did us in. Nice to see teams doing more than rolling out the same old, same old. Football, perhaps more than any other sports, offers such opportunities.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
BC 1988
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:38 am
Well done, theratiobreaker.

Detailed, fresh game preparation and planning did us in. Nice to see teams doing more than rolling out the same old, same old. Football, perhaps more than any other sports, offers such opportunities.
Ditto. He provides good context of the past relationship of Kilam/Altilio and how Kilam was able to exploit having a top positional kicker in Paredes. BC was left wide open and (to add insult to injury) lost poor isolated Burnham in the process.