B.C. Lions at Edmonton June 21, 2019 - Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions haven't made any changes to their starting lineup for their second regular-season game on Friday in Edmonton. They have added Josh Woodman and Victor Gamboa to the active roster as backup DBs and have moved DB D'londo Tucker to the practice roster and FB Wayne Moore to the 1-game injured list.

While most eyes will likely be on QBs Mike Reilly and Trevor Harris, the biggest concern with the Lions after the opening week remains their commitment to run the ball and their ability to stop the run.

B.C. depth chart and roster
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Here is a pic of the depth chart.

Some question marks.

Termansen did not have a good game last outing. DL got very little pressure on Nichols. Defence failed to stop Andrew Harris.

Passing game was good. Our run game was non-existent. I expect a much better balance between run and pass this time out.
2019-06-20_1024_001.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Wonder if Tucker got dinged. As soon as he replaced Termansen on the corner the Bombers didn't attack the field side with regularity. Now Tucker is dropped entirely?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

If the Lions think that they can establish a run game using RPO plays, then they will fail. The Oline needs to know in advance of the snap of the ball whether the play will be a pass or run so they can block accordingly.

When it is a RPO run play it is the Dline and LBs who are facing the QB and RB who know if it is run or pass before the Oline. Where is there any advantage to the O in that scenario? The Oline is still in passive pass blocking with no opportunity to go much past the los to throw a run block.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ed Willes files on what is likely to be the conventional storyline: Mike Reilly's return to Edmonton. Naturally, Reilly is saying all the right things:
“I spent six years there and a lot of things happened. I got married. Both my daughters (Brooklyn and Cadence) were born in Edmonton during football season. I had life-changing moments both on the field and off the field. I hold on to those moments.”

OK, it isn’t all hearts and flowers as Reilly prepares to meet the Eskimos. Colleague Terry Jones penned a column earlier this week in the Edmonton Sun in which Esks D-linemen Kwaku Boateng and Almondo Sewell pronounce they’ll have the Lions’ quarterback in their sights on Friday.

“Let ‘em,” Reilly answered. “I want to get after them. You want to bring all your guys? Good luck leaving your (defensive backs) on an island with the weapons we have. I’ve got some of the biggest nastiest boys upfront who are going to keep me upright.”

But in the next breath Reilly says his goal isn’t to extract revenge against his former team. He’s more concerned about his current team after their season-opening 33-23 loss at B.C. Place last weekend.

In his first game as the resident face-of-the-franchise, Reilly threw for 324 yards but he also served up a pair of interceptions and the Lions’ run game produced four puny yards on four carries by John White.

Not good enough, he said, grasping a keen sense of the obvious. Not good enough by a long shot.

“The CFL doesn’t stop for anyone to get their timing and chemistry down,” he said. “We can’t wait for half the season to be done. That stuff has to happen now.

“We left 150 yards of offence and two or three touchdowns on the field. It wasn’t a terrible performance and I’m glad we showed to ourselves what we’re capable of doing. But it’s never a good feeling watching the film and knowing we left a lot out there.”
Ed Willes: Return to Edmonton will tug at Reilly's heartstrings
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Defensively the pass rush was rather passive vs the Bombers. Not sure they've got the horses up front as Nicholls was able to get the ball out and Andrew Harris looked like he did last year.

The DBs weren't together on coverages and you have to wonder if they'll gel quickly vs the Esks where Trevor Harris vs the Als didn't look like he was a new QB getting familiar with the offence and Receivers. Someone not knowing the team or players would have watched Harris and think he'd been with the Esks at least the prior year. I'm not sure the BC DEF is that much superior to the Als at this time.

Esks DEF vs the Als didn't look superior to the Benevides defence play when he was there so that's a positive for the Lions.

Watching the Lions it strikes me that if you want to be successful with the deep ball you have to threaten the DEF with the run and not just between the tackles which seems to where the Lions have always wanted to go exclusively. DBs can peel back even with RPO when your QB tendencies are always to pass.

As much as Jacque Chapdelaine had too many crossing routes, mixing it up there would be wise.

Reilly was 9-9 last year and had a great year passing.

New coaching staff with a HC in new roles and lots of new players will take time to learn and grow versus the Bombers, Stamps - where they've been relatively stable.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Mike Reilly isn't the only ex Eskimos returning to face their former teammates Friday.
VictoriaFan
Starter

i'd like to see Rutley over White in the backfield, he seems a lot bigger than wee little white
seamack3
prospect

i'd rather see Rolly over Rutley in the backfield, he seems a lot bigger than wee little brandon
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Eskimos have placed two of their key free-agent defensive starters on the six-game injured list, SAM linebacker on Don Unamba and boundary corner Anthony Orange. Josh Johnson replaces Orange and Brian Walker replaces Unamba.

Edmonton already has six players on the six-game list. The Lions have four, including Wayne Moore, who was added this week.

Terry Jones of the Edmonton Sun breaks down the Eskimo injury woes:
JONES: Eskimos already bit hard by injury bug
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The Esks offence looks intact and not about to miss a beat with Trevor Harris.

The question mark is if the Lions offence can get really untracked and get more middle and deep receivers other than Burnham.

Here's hoping we'll see a game like the Riders and Redblacks with the Lions coming out on top.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions are wearing black pants with their white road jerseys. They look better than the all-orange combo they've worn at home.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Like those unis
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

The road unis look great!
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Doesn't roughing the passer happen when the ball is actually thrown?

But it's a face mask penalty regardless. It looked like there was on the sack too.