Riders 24 - Lions 21, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:22 pm
As I said earlier. I think the only way anything happens earlier is that Hervey punts Buono. He needs to keep OC and DC till season's end but a message needs to be sent that no one is above being out of a job. They are playing for next season already and maybe if they approach it from that standpoint, they might even win a few games. But they have to do something to shake this team up and that looks like the most reasonable thing to do. Hervey can be HC for the rest of the season. Buono isn't an x's and o's guy anyway so at this point he is expendable.
Unfortunately, Buono is the President and the president won't allow the firing to happen in mid season.
firstandgoal
Rookie

I attended tonight’s game and there was some good energy in the building. Decent crowd.... enjoyable from that perspective.

My observations....

1. I can’t understand the complete lack of creativity with our running game. We have small quick backs yet 100% of our running plays were between the tackles. No sweeps, no tosses, nothing.... why?

2. After the first quarter or so, the defense tightened up and generally played well. However teams continue to get big yardage on first down with the run. We really miss Solly in the middle.

3. After Manny went down we were in a world of hurt. Collins needs to pack his bags and go..... we need some serious upgrading at receiver. After Arceneaux and Burnham we are weak.

4. I was talking to my buddies at the half and we were kind of shaking our heads.... how could this team make so MANY mistakes yet only be down by two. Consensus was that we have some good players but we are not a very good team. We had seen this act too many times.

Good teams find a way to win. Bad teams continually find new ways to make mistakes and lose... coulda woulda shoulda, take out gun shoot self in foot etc. etc.

Is it the coaching staff? Is it the players? Ownership? Probably a combination of a number of things.

This organization desperately needs a culture shift from ownership on down. New energy is needed. Only a clean sweep will do.

Will we get it?

Tough times in Lionville.
Lead, follow or get out of the way!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I told my buddy the game will probably come down with the Lions having an opportunity to win but they blow it. Unfortunately I was right. Didn't think Lulay had a good night. Too many of his passes were skimming the surface of the turf or too high. Now we know why Kevin Elliott was previously cut by the Riders. He couldn't catch a beach ball tonight.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Lion King said:

Unfortunately, Buono is the President and the president won't allow the firing to happen in mid season.

Buono is not the president. He is the vice president. The president is the guy from Edmonton they hired in the offseason. You don't hear much from him which is why you still think Wally is. I do not even remember his name. Rich L. I think.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

Dropped balls
Penalties
No run game

Should they have kicked the field goal instead of going for the QB sneak? I realize the success rate of the QB sneak is high, but that was bad execution.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CrazyCanuck89 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:59 pm
Dropped balls
Penalties
No run game

Should they have kicked the field goal instead of going for the QB sneak? I realize the success rate of the QB sneak is high, but that was bad execution.
No, I wouldn't have kicked there. There was still time to move the ball closer, and always a chance at a touchdown to win rather than a field goal to force overtime. The offence has to be able to get a yard in short yardage. But Ty Long definitely could have made the 53-yarder if called upon.
The_Pauser
Legend

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:52 pm
Lion King said:

Buono is not the president. He is the vice president. The president is the guy from Edmonton they hired in the offseason. You don't hear much from him which is why you still think Wally is. I do not even remember his name. Rich L. I think.

Not sure how you get your Lions news but Rick Lalacheur has spoken on numerous occasions, most recently on President's week on TSN1040 just yesterday.
Roar you Lions roar!
yukonlion
All Star

i would have gambled but not a sneak.. it was 2 yards... they seemed to rush into it.... the timing of cfl games is out of control between palys, last week calgary got over a minute to throw a challenge flag with no 20 second clock running....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Fan7 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:38 pm
“I think I’m coaching it better, to be quite honest,” Buono said. “I know it sounds arrogant but there’s a reason I came back. I wanted another opportunity to win. I wanted another opportunity at a championship.”
Good thing we have an enlightened coach coaching the 3-6 Lions. Hate to think what the record would be like if he wasn't coaching better.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:52 pm
Lion King said:

You are correct, I stand corrected. The President is Rich Lacheuler (sp)
David
Team Captain

This is a fragile team. They are playing not to lose and seem afraid to make mistakes, which is when you tend to make them. A collection of some very good players, some good players, and some average ones, but they are not playing as a cohesive unit. I don't see the same intensity as I see with other teams.

There is no way Wally the GM would keep his head coach with what's happening on the field and in the standings. This is a sad ending. I am sure the Buono family and the club is expecting a Wally Buono night at season's end (which he deserves), but it is going to be a poorly attended affair if the club can only muster 6 or 7 wins which is where we appear headed. We have way more talent than a 6 or 7 win season.

We don't have the horses at receiver. Not sure why we got rid of Nick Moore. I'd take him over Collins or Elliott any day, plus he had excellent chemistry with Travis. I am not enamoured with some of the play calling. Not enough of our MOP Jeremiah Johnson or Chris Rainey who should be lined up at slot in certain packages and used on some jet sweeps, and in the backfield more. The defence has improved though.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/games/2507/saskatche ... /#/preview
GAME RECAP

RIDERS HOLD ON FOR CLOSE ROAD VICTORY AGAINST LIONS

CFL.CA STAFF

VANCOUVER — Both team’s fought hard in a close battle on Saturday night, but the Saskatchewan Roughriders came out on top with a 24-21 road victory against the BC Lions. The Riders improved their season record to 5-4 to move into third place in the CFL West.

Special teams shined bright in this one with Lions kicker Ty Long going a purrfect five for five on field goals, while Brett Lauther added three of his own for Saskatchewan. Christian Jones racked up 154 return yards for the Riders while Chris Rainey chipped in 151 return yards for BC.

Both defensive units put in a strong performance, with Zach Collaros and Travis Lulay each being held under 250 yards passing while facing heavy pressure and tight coverage all game long. The Riders’ defence recovered two fumbles and Charleston Hughes recorded his league-leading 12th sack of the season.

Collaros finished with 215 passing yards and a 6-yard touchdown to Jordan Lambert-Williams, while Lulay completed 21 of 36 passes for 240 yards and a 10-yard touchdown to Bryan Burnham.

Lions leading receiver Emmanuel Arceneaux left the game with an injury after making a catch in the second quarter.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

What can you say that hasn't been said many times over on this board.

2018 Lions find ways to lose...no real surprise anymore. Bad teams have always separated themselves from average teams by doing so.

2018 Lions aren't creative...Wally is coaching once again, no surprise for this fan.

2018 Lions don't seem to be able to stuff the run on first down...no surprise once again, it is a Lion trademark.

2018 has one MVP...once again a losing Lions football team is going to nominate a kicker...that says it all...no offense to Long, but you need someone on O/D or both to vie for MVP in order to at least contend for a playoff spot.

I agree that GM Wally would have replaced a 3-6 HC. Given that Hervey isn't going to do that to the Legend, it is up to Wally to walk that plank himself. Sir P pointed out that Wally isn't the X/O HC, so his removal shouldn't have the level of impact it would if he was the tactician the Lions desperately require. However his removal may take off the the conservative reigns that this fanbase has been waiting for.

I ask myself why I remain interested in the Lions...I know now the remainder of the season is not vita, as this game killed any interest for the second half in my mind. Now tell me that a HC change was in place and it isn't the initials of MW at the helm, now that would get the interest back on my part.

As for the game itself, I guess Wally will justify trying for third and almost two was a daring move...only if you don't play it with the most conservative play in the book Wally...really a QB sneak with the game/season on the line. I give up.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Rodu
Champion

WAlly has never been one to bring in NFL cuts mid season, bu that's the GM's job right? I hope Hervey has beeen watching a lot of pre season, we need a bunch, couple receivers, some db's to start
Riderfan67
Rookie

Good game by the lions imo you have an excellent D, getting lemon was huge for you guys . Lulay always gives you a chance. We were lucky to win imo, Lions have a good team