Carter released from Riders

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Chris Jones has really put himself in the spotlight here for the Carter release coming out during the Montreal - Ottawa game and causing a lot of confusion and upset in the Riders fan base. Talk about taking your fans for granted. The Riders are on a bye week, there was no need for that to happen.

Post game on TSN the Carter release news took the light off QB Trevor Harris who was sure to have to share the billing with Manziel (irrespective of how Manziel played) to the point that Dunigan actually apologized for ignoring Harris).

Carter would add to any team's offense and he's great with fans say Rider fans.

The CFL need to stop teams and coaches like Jones from standing on their own message and make sure player transactions aren't coming mid game - especially on a night when the focus should be on that game and you've got a top World Juniors game final playing in Canada.
Duron Carter

Verified account

@DC_CHILLIN_8
5h5 hours ago
More
So here you go only saying it once: my teammates started calling me Sat. asking me questions like “what happened” etc. I eventually text coach Jones “What’s the deal? Why my teammates asking if I’m on the team?” Get a call from him saying “thanks for your service on both sides”
Farhan Lalji

Verified account

@FarhanLaljiTSN
11h11 hours ago
More
I expect that #BCLions GM Ed Hervey will inquire about Duron Carter’s availability. But locker room chemistry is extremely important to him. Wally has dealt with big personalities before. So we’ll see where it goes. @CFLonTSN @CFL @tsn1040 #Riders
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I just do not see Carter coming here. I predict he goes back to Montreal. They really need help at receiver and Kavis Reed's job may be on the line so he will gamble and sign Carter.
CardiacKid
Legend

Jamie Nye at CFL.Ca was quite blunt in stating he wasn’t surprised about Carter’s release and it would appear the usual suspects of Carter’s personality were the culprits. Namely he was beaking off about not getting the ball, not committing to the play call when it didn’t involve him getting the ball and just being lazy at practice.

I appreciated that he did seem to be trying at being a better teammate and better representative of the Riders but I guess this ultimately proves you can’t stay with a team indefinitely if you think you are above your colleagues.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Montreal makes sense as far as ticket sales go. Could Carter help at receiver? Sure. But I don't think Carter's personality is the right fit for a team that has only one twice in their last gazillion games. I'd also be concerned that he become Manziel's buddy and leads him off the wagon and straight into party town.

Will BC kick the tires? Probably. We really don't have that speedy threat like we used to. Remember 2011 when the Lions traded for Arland Bruce III who had also had a reputation for being great on the field and not so great in the locker room? That worked out pretty well for the Lions.

That said, I would prefer the Lions pass on Carter. Our offence is more much effective when the ball is being shared. Carter needs to be on a team where he will be THE guy all the time.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Farhan Lalji
✔ @FarhanLaljiTSN

I’m told #Alouettes #Argos #BCLions #TiCats have all reached out to Duron Carter. Some have made contract offers. I don’t expect the other 4 teams to reach out. Carter hopes to make a decision in the next couple of days. @CFLonTSN @cfl @TSN_Sports @TSN1040
JohnnyMusso
Champion

NO surprise there. Only team desperate enough is Montreal. They may not win another game this year and Kavis could be shown the door, so I expect their offer to be the highest. No way Hervey pays him $100,000 plus, which is likely what he will be looking for.

Toronto could be a dark horse.

I predict he goes to the Als with Argos my 2nd choice.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:06 pm
Farhan Lalji
✔ @FarhanLaljiTSN

I’m told #Alouettes #Argos #BCLions #TiCats have all reached out to Duron Carter. Some have made contract offers. I don’t expect the other 4 teams to reach out. Carter hopes to make a decision in the next couple of days. @CFLonTSN @cfl @TSN_Sports @TSN1040
Farhan's contacts and relationships with players are working for fans as he's got the up to the minute news:

http://3downnation.com/2018/08/12/chris ... on-carter/

Basically, this is an admission from Chris Jones that his coaching decisions made him expendable. I'm with Stegall and the others on the panel here. It was dumb to make him play CB and take away his offensive skills.

The other player being ruined is Brandon Bridge. Not even using him on short yardage now! WTF.

That's how Rider nation are taking it as he's popular with their fan base and as Kevin Glenn said back in MTL - Carter was a good teammate and there's no way Glenn would tolerate nonsense if it made him look bad.

Carter needs to be somewhere where the QB can get the ball to him wide and I'd love to see him in BC as he'd make Manny and Burnham more available as they'd have to cover him for sure. MTL and HAM could use him too as Farhan notes.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:06 pm
Farhan Lalji
✔ @FarhanLaljiTSN

[/quote]

Farhan's contacts and relationships with players are working for fans as he's got the up to the minute news:

http://3downnation.com/2018/08/12/chris ... on-carter/

Basically, this is an admission from Chris Jones that his coaching decisions made him expendable. I'm with Stegall and the others on the panel here. It was dumb to make him play CB and take away his offensive skills.

As Jones says "It's a business" - all true. But dumping vets who 've done what you asked without a whisper of anger mid season speaks volumes of the type of coach and GM Jones is. It's tough to pack and move and get oriented in a new city. It was not like the Bombers and Adarius Bowman who got a chance with the Peg but played himself out of town. Carter had no chance to succeed this year.

The other player being ruined is Brandon Bridge. Not even using him on short yardage now! WTF.

That's how Rider nation are taking it as he's popular with their fan base and as Kevin Glenn said back in MTL - Carter was a good teammate and there's no way Glenn would tolerate nonsense if it made him look bad.

Carter needs to be somewhere where the QB can get the ball to him wide and I'd love to see him in BC as he'd make Manny and Burnham more available as they'd have to cover Carter as another top threat. Quite frankly, a third explosive receiver would get Arceneaux and Burnham MORE, not less passes.

Geroy wasn't starved for passes when BC had a top group of receivers as the more explosive receivers you have the more balls are shared. I've thought that this year both Manny and Burnham are not as open in this group of receivers as they would be with a third top receiver. Carter didn't get all the balls and his big plays last year were where others were getting lots of balls their way.

I tend to agree that MTL might be the preferred location as it'd get another deep threat for Manziel and he's been in that city before.
David
Team Captain

I am quite sure Ed and Wally have assembled a meeting of our team captains to get their thoughts on this. Farhan has likely provided his intell.

I have read that there was some kind of lockerroom fight involving Carter before the Riders' last game. This was evidently the last straw. While some may draw some comparisons to Arland, not sure that's 100% accurate. Arland may have been divisive oddball with some of his antics (endzone coffin, MJ, spider-man mask etc.), but I don't think he was beakin' off his coaches and teammates and getting into (alleged) fights.

Still, I don't think Carter has been on a team with a strong leader like Travis who wouldn't tolerate that s*it. Maybe he had Darian Durant for a bit and that is likely when the waters were the calmest. Still, I am salivating at prospect of a receiving corps featuring Duron, Manny, Bryan, Shaq, and Kevin.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
JohnHenry
Champion

maxlion wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:02 am
Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:37 pm
FarhanLaljiTSN

I hear that the UN is hiring.
I was thinking...Flight Attendant; Greyhound Bus Driver or join the Navy and see the World! I wondering how many minutes Duron's career would last in those chosen professions?

Flight attendant: 18 min. ("So now you want a pillow, why didn't you take one the first time I's around?"...before the Air Marshall has to lock him in the bathroom. )
Bus Driver: 24 min. (before he parks the bus on the side of the highway, "OK, what fool put that pop bottle in the aisle-way?")
Navy Boot Camp: 04 min. (before he takes a swing at the Drill Sargent)

Long Haul Trucker?

All kidding aside, I'd take Duron any day over the receiver with white shoes who played on Thursday and the skinny guy who dropped those passes and got a penalty for his feeble blocking attempt...
maxlion
Legend

JohnHenry wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:57 pm
maxlion wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:02 am
Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:37 pm

I hear that the UN is hiring.
I was thinking...Flight Attendant; Greyhound Bus Driver or join the Navy and see the World! I wondering how many minutes Duron's career would last in those chosen professions?
Wanted: lazy, entitled narcissist for high paying job with international travel opportunities. No skills or experience needed.

Good luck Duron. Maybe Daddy can help?

The only way he signs in BC is if Jarious says to Wally, "Leave him to me." No way Wally wants to deal with this in his last year of coaching.
David
Team Captain

That statement is telling in itself.

"....something where I can be myself."

Shows no signs of contrition or desire to fit into a structured system with rules etc.

The subtext reads, "Everyone else is at fault. Not me. Nothing wrong in expressing my opinions. If people don't like it, it's their problem. I speak the truth."

This, of course, is a very narcissistic approach to life. Not saying he's a bad person, just likely very spoiled and entitled growing up. Parents probably indulged him too much. Now sees himself as a "special" outsider.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
aklawitter
All Star

how long will Chris Jones be allowed to coast on his GC ring?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Carter felt his relationship with the Riders’ offensive coaches, in particular with co-ordinator Stephen McAdoo, contributed to the release.

“He doesn’t get along with anybody because it’s his way or the highway and that’s even with the other coaches,” Carter said.

“The way that Coach Jones explained it to me is that (McAdoo) is pretty much his best friend and they are going to ride it out together. That’s how we understand it on the team — don’t mess with McAdoo or you’re going to get cut.

“(McAdoo’s) door is always open, but he runs the ship the way he wants it. He wants his leaders to run it the way he wants it. That’s how it’s going to be and you can see it in his play-calling.”
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The phone call marked an abrupt end to what appeared to be a close relationship between Jones and Carter.

In 2017, Jones revealed that he met every day with Carter during the football season. The two would talk about football and other topics before heading out to practice. Jones ended those talks with Carter this season.

“We did that last year and it worked well, but guys get older, they mature, and stand on their own two feet,” Jones said. “I wanted to treat Duron as a mature football player. The decision we made this year was to not meet every day. We had meetings periodically but it wasn’t on an every-day basis
“My frustration comes from them coming to me, pulling me aside and telling me that I needed to be this leader and to be an outspoken guy when nobody is performing,” Carter said. “I needed to be the guy who gets everyone going. Then when it’s not the way that they like it and it’s too much, then I get cut.”
Jones’ refusal to provide details on what led to Carter being released contributed to a great deal of speculation. There were reports that an altercation between a teammate and Carter led to his release.
“There was nothing,” Carter said. “The only thing was being frustrated about not getting the ball in Edmonton. That was about it.”
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.