Games of Week 2, June 21 to June 23, 2018

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Riders "2 best DEs in the CFL" were invisible except for Jefferson's 2 off-sides. Jones has had some success dropping DE into pass coverage but it seems to work best if you only do it once or twice a game.

Jones cutting prize FA signing INT RG Bond before the season started was strange and seems to have blown up in his face. As is his odd drafting of a known futures OLine 1st round pick instead of getting a guy who can contribute right away.

Jones used up a bunch of TC spots auditioning RBs and got a decent one in Mason, but then they don't run the ball. :dizzy:

On the Riders depth chart Jones has 6 backup D linemen for his 4 starters but I think several of them are under 250lbs. so they are really LB Special Teams types. Oh, those crafty HCs trying to fool everyone with their Fake Depth Charts, just like Wally's TC Alphabetical Chart. :wag:

Jones acts like he thinks he is the smartest man in the room and can do things in his own way with success. He is definitely not the smartest GM or even close to the smartest drafter. I thought he might be the smartest defensive mind in the CFL but I am probably wrong. :wink:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Don't be surprised if Jones goes poaching other team's practice roster for offensive linemen.
Mikemike
All Star

What the heck was with the TSN at the half tonight? That was embarrassing to watch the panel all dancing around and some gal throwing a football. I am completely at a loss. That was even worse than when they put Obillovich and Less Browne on there!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Mikemike wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:41 pm
What the heck was with the TSN at the half tonight? That was embarrassing to watch the panel all dancing around and some gal throwing a football. I am completely at a loss. That was even worse than when they put Obillovich and Less Browne on there!
Mikemike wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:41 pm
The Panel was not nearly as awful as the half time band that was featured. Good thing I pvr'd the game and could fast forward thru most of the half time.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

OTT vs SASK

Bridge was not the QB off the bench he was last year. Yes some O-Line issues but he was better when he had Kevin Glenn there. That is a huge loss. Collaros looking like he's taken too many shots to the head OR the Riders were saving him like they did to KG.

I thought the two penalties on Carter were weak while there there two hits on Riders REC that looked like they could have been calls.

What was good for RBs was the play of Trevor Harris - and their RB Powell and Receivers.

WPG over MTL

ESKs over HAM bringing more pressure to give Manziel some time in the game if for no other reason than to give them another look.

CAL def TOR - this could be a surprise but ... for now pick Stamps.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
CardiacKid
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:52 pm
Don't be surprised if Jones goes poaching other team's practice roster for offensive linemen.
So true. I am surprised he hasn't done so yet. Or maybe he has but has been rebuffed by players who have been approached.

He has sacrificed the overall and National depth they managed to cultivate last year to acquire a couple of big ticket players, Hughes and Collaros. IMHO a case of 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

And his approach to the draft leaves me thinking he underestimates the importance of Nationals on his roster.
CardiacKid
Legend

BC 1988 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:35 pm
Belize City Lion wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:18 pm
What will be the reaction over at Riderfans.com tonight?

1. Fire Chris Jones
2. Bench Brandon Bridge
3. Cut Duron Carter
4. Blame Henry Burris
5. Plan the Grey Cup parade route
6. All of the above
:rotf: pretty much sums up the circus over there. There are a few "it's all over" posts (as expected). I'm pvring the game. How bad did the Collaros hit look?
I can hardly wait till Monday! That's when Rod Pedersen will unload on the league, the RedBlacks, Randy Ambrosie et al in his "Monday Morning Quarterback" column.

#Conspiracy!

Personally, I think he screwed up the notes he took when spying on the Redblacks during their walk through and gave Jones tainted info...
VictoriaFan
Starter

Love how Duron Carter professed to being the best player in the league after his interception, then was beaten for a td and got a series of PI calls that led to another td. Big ego=fail
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Paul LaPolice opens ip the Winnipeg playbook and the Bombers open a 10-0 lead in Montreal.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bombers leading 9-0 in the 1st touchdown on a Andrew Harris touchdown and a field goal
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Montreal gets on the board with an 8-yard TD catch by B.J. Cunningham, working against Anthony Gaitor. 10-7 Winnipeg in the second quarter.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Bombers rookie QB lighting up Stubler's defence with ease.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It’s a wide open game. Streveler hits Demski with a 9-yard TD pass after a deep completion to Darvin Adams. 17-7 Winnipeg.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Based on tonight's developments so far in Montreal Lions performance has been downgraded to "average" at best.

Yikes, Montreal looks terrible, is getting shredded by a rookie QB and can provide little in the way of pass protection.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Streveler scores on a QB sneak after the Bombers recover a blocked punt at the Montreal 2-yard line. 31-7 late in the second quarter.