Official Kamloops Training Camp Thread 2018

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

:roar: :roar: THE 65TH TRAINING CAMP IN FRANCHISE HISTORY :roar: :roar:

This promises to be an interesting camp. Lots of questions to be answered, and more competition at key positions than in recent memory. The intrigue of Ed's first camp as GM and Wally's last as Head Coach make this a camp to watch. Anyone planning to attend?

The weather in Kamloops looks to be very hot next week for the boys. Best of luck to all of them.

Go Leos!!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
The_Pauser
Legend

I'm eagerly awaiting the opening depth chart.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The start of training camp is like Christmas for me. After six months of anticipation, we get our first glimpse of the 2018 Lions. Here's the updated official training camp schedule:

https://www.bclions.com/trainingcamp/

Like last year, the first two days of training camp consist of twice-daily non-contact walkthroughs (read B-O-R-I-N-G). Last year the team didn't even post its initial training camp depth chart until Day 3, although those of us in attendance could at least figure out who was taking first-team reps in the walkthroughs. That was the only benefit of being there.

One major schedule change this year is that there is just one long practice most days, from 8:30 a.m. to 12:20 p.m. Presumably, that will allow the team to wear pads and conduct contact drills for part of every practice. It should be interesting.

The Kamloops weather forecast looks great, if you like the hot sun. I'm planning to be there from Thursday through Monday, perhaps longer.
Blitz
Team Captain

Ed Hervey really took over our Leos this off-season and has made a ton of changes to the roster. 51 new players signed so far for training camp.

We're now officially in 'Herveyland' and not just 'Wally World'. It was a much needed change.
Lions Training Camp Preview: Hervey not wasting time
May 18, 2018 by Lowell Ullrich

It’s pretty clear so far that Ed Hervey has a good sense of time management but where some use an hourglass it’s clear the new general manager of the B.C. Lions is operating with a relative stopwatch.

How else to explain the speed at which Hervey has moved to reshape the CFL team going into the start of training camp Sunday in Kamloops, particularly considering the varied reactions of the guy who previously was responsible for shaping the roster, coach Wally Buono?

Since taking over Nov. 30, Hervey could fill out an opening-day lineup of new players he has acquired, some 51 in all, not to mention the first-round pick in next year’s Canadian draft that has already been shipped away.

It’s the natural outcome from regime change in an organization where change was needed, and by no means it is over yet.

“It’s going to take Ed time for to transform the team from what it was to what it’s going to be,” Buono said before heading to camp this weekend. Time? Even by CFL standards, this is a rapid turnover. Hervey is just as fast in his current job as he was all those years hauling in passesfor the Edmonton Eskimos.

By any standard, the Lions now are clearly in the hands of Hervey and new personnel director Torey Hunter. It is no idle suggestion. For 15 years, Buono governed virtually every area of football operations, right down to directing when the grass field at their Surrey facility would be mowed.

Not everyone who has watched him was convinced Buono could give up control so easily without spending summer at the beach.

Yet no matter how many times he is asked, the man who has been tacitly told his roster wasn’t good enough but happens to still be the coach insists he’s completely on board with the organizational structure of the Lions in his final CFL season.

“I don’t want total control. It’s not a matter of it being taken away from me, and I don’t say that boastfully,” said Buono. “What makes me different than most people? I’m saying it’s my faith that gives me strength. There was a point in time when I started to change my mindset.

When you pray for wisdom you got to be open to transformation.
“I’m really looking forward to seeing all the components that Ed’s brought to us and build a football team with them.”

As much as the team needed an overhaul, so much more needs to be done off the field and is being orchestrated by a new club president Rick LeLacheur, who has addressed a longstanding concern of the team’s fan base surrounding ticket pricing.

But by turning a serious thumbs down to a roster which finished out of the playoffs and identifying changes were also needed to the coaching staff the Lions have at least bought a slice of May optimism on the field, where success, by Buono’s admission, was once taken for granted.

Here’s a look at the Lions by position as they settle into the campus at Thompson Rivers University and look for form a team in time for their June 16 home opener at BC Place Stadium against Montreal:

Quarterbacks: Redemption or else

No point wasting pixels here. It’s Jon Jennings’ job to reclaim, and with Travis Lulay given a structured path to recovery from his off-season knee injury CFL vet Cody Fajardo (ex-Toronto) is aboard for early insurance. The fourth spot was won by rookie Ricky Lloyd, who showed off a strong arm in minicamp. But after last season’s drop, it’s a make-or-break year for the starter.

Running backs: Amusing mix
Hervey kept dropping hints about increased competition through the winter and delivered, which might make for a surprising battle. No danger yet for veteran Canadian fullback Rolly Lumbala of course but the composition of imports could become interesting.

Jeremiah Johnson is still the featured tailback but if he didn’t start looking over his shoulder after Hervey traded for Brandon Rutley, that surely changed when Travon Van was taken off the Edmonton scrap heap.

Van can return kicks. So too, of course, can Chris Rainey, which means change is possible depending on how the Lions want to structure the lineup this season.

Receivers: Taking the next step

It’s hard to think a group without Chris Williams, Nick Moore and Marco Iannuzzi will be more experienced, but Manny Arceneaux and Bryan Burnham lead the way and hope others will follow.

Shaquille Johnson had a breakout year and will have a chance to change spots in the offence. Fellow Canadian Danny Vandervoort has a chance to move up and if he falters the Lions have a veteran presence in Cory Watson.

The key, short-side wideout spot is an open audition for an import, however, which marks a departure from past seasons when the Lions would sign talented receivers with no place to put them.

Ricky Collins (ex-Hamilton/Saskatchewan) has the early inside edge on experience and his ability to return kicks but count on a wide-open race otherwise. Tyler Davis, who got into one game last year as a returner and was seen also as a running back, will compete in this group. Also worth watching: CFL vet Kevin Elliott.

Offensive linemen: It’s all on the line, Part One

Now it gets interesting, as without improvement in this position group the Lions will be toast after finishing last in sacks and pressures allowed last season.

Joel Figueroa was the biggest offensive addition and will take over at left tackle. Antonio Johnson flips to the right side and was set to compete against newcomer Jeremy Lewis, a former Figueroa teammate at Miami. Lewis, however, announced his retirement via the club Saturday (note that our Leos signed Olifioye after Ullrich wrote this article)

The Canadian interior will include center Cody Husband and fellow vet Hunter Steward but right guard is wide open and should become the second-biggest offensive battle of camp. David Foucault and newcomer Chris Greaves figure to be backup candidates. Though three changes among starters is virtually guaranteed it remains to be seen whether it is enough.

Defensive linemen: All on the line, Part Two

No group will look more different than this one, with three starters and seven new faces already guaranteed, and none more in need of change having finished in the bottom third in sacks and pressures last year.

One starting spot will go to a non-import, with sophomore Junior Luke likely in rotation with David Menard and Maxx Forde pushed by draft picks JulienLaurent and Edward Godin.

Outside pressure spots will be filled by 33-year-old Odell Willis, who Buono still sees as an every-down rusher, and fellow newcomer Gabe Knapton, and if the Lions develop a personality this year it will come from their two biggest free agent signings.

More change is coming alongside the Canadian spot in the interior. The loss of Euclid Cummings before his first Lions game meant an initial reprieve for Mich’ael Brooks but that came to an end with his release when Hervey couldn’t find a trading partner.

Linebackers: Greatness surrounded by…

Start with Solomon Elimimian, because he’s the only mainstay, with plenty of changes to come. Hervey hopes Otha Foster will make people forget the loss of Chandler Fenner at nickleback if returning sophomore TevinMcDonald doesn’t make a splash at a new position.

The weak-side spot is completely wide open. BC signed KeelanJohnson, who led the CFL in special teams tackles with Ottawa last year, before the market blew wide open prior to camp. Bo Lokombo returns and a chance Micah Awe could eventually join him.

Defensive backs: Name tags needed

What remains to be see is if Hervey’s focus on strengthening the defensive push up front has an effect on pass coverage. Hervey invested heavily in familiar faces but starting camp the experienced veteran of the returninggroup is TJ Lee.

Two CFL vets have an early leg up on the corner spots, Marcell Young and AJ Jefferson, who looks to replace Ronnie Yell. Garry Peters could pair alongside Young with Canadian Anthony Thompson in the middle, pushed by Cauchy Muamba.

Kendall James turned some heads during his brief chance late last season. James will likely contest the wide-side corner spot.

Special teams: Even an LS battle

No drama this spring after Ty Long won a job last year by moving past Swayze Waters. Hervey drafted a long-snapper, David Mackie, to challenge Mike Benson, which might result in a switch if the Lions think their second-round pick can contribute in more than one position.

Remember, Mackie was Hervey’s draft and Benson has been a Buono choice for four seasons. It’s a formula that will shape the Lions for the season ahead.

LIONS TALES: As expected, Canadian offensive lineman Charles Vaillancourt is not listed on the club’s training camp roster. Vaillancourt has a hand problem lingering from last season and would have been a candidate to regain his right guard slot. …

Rookie OL Peter Godber agreed to terms, the club announced via social media Saturday, and has put himself in position to take the o-line vacancy. Godber, who played at Rice, was taken third overall in this month’s draft. ….

Guest coaches at camp will include former DL Khreem Smith. Art Edgson, who was a guest coach at Buono’s first camp with the Lions, wanted to help out defensive backs during Buono’s last.

Lowell Ullrich
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:19 pm
Anyone planning to attend?

I'm heading back down to Adams Lake tomorrow for work and hope to hit the road early enough to catch most of the afternoon session on the way through. Also plan to be there next weekend.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Here's a link to Ed Willes's training camp preview, including a breakdown of the key positional battles:

Team Overhaul to open camp with Lions hoping changes lead to Grey Cup

The Lions have also published a 120-page Training Camp Guide, but it was somewhat out of date before camp opened. Luther Maddy is listed on the D-line and Jovon Olafioye is not included in the O-line. There is still no official depth chart.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ed Willes files from Kamloops on Hervey's transformation of the roster. An excerpt:
This Lions’ training camp features some 50 players Hervey signed, drafted or traded for this off-season, including old friend Jovan Olafioye, the giant offensive tackle who was signed on Saturday. The secondary will feature four new starters. The defensive line will feature four new starters. There will be three new starters on the offensive line, at least two new starters in the receiving corps, a new running back and maybe a new kicker.

That would be Jose Maltos, the native of Monterrey, Mexico. Sure. Why not.

And that’s just part of the story. To finance his shopping spree, Hervey had to convince several veteran Lions it would be a swell idea to restructure their contracts. Those players included several members of the Lions’ core group — at least what’s left of it — and they had to be sold on team’s new direction.

Right now, that direction is the main storyline at this Lions’ training camp and the players and staff have all embraced Hervey’s vision. If they’re saying the same things in October, so much the better.

“He explained things, what he wanted to do and what he wanted to accomplish,” said linebacker Solomon Elimimian, one of the players whose deal was restructured. “As we went along, you got to see it wasn’t just talk. It was action. Guys are excited now. They’re good players here, veteran guys who know how to win.”
Ed Willes: Lions have discovered there's a new sherriff in town
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The first official depth chart of training camp is out, and my jaw dropped until I read the orange print at the bottom:
All positions are listed alphabetically

At least we can see who is pencilled in to compete for which positions, even if we don't know who is considered to have the inside track. The defensive positions make sense but I don't understand the receiving battles. Why is Kevin Elliott listed at the same slot position that Manny Arceneaux owns? Why are Danny Vandervoort and Cory Watson listed at the opposite inside slot (ranger) position, with Bryan Burnham at the outside slot position previously held by Marco Iannuzzi? And why is Shaq Johnson still at the wideside wideout (fifth receiver) spot he held last year insidead of moving up. I hope it's just a matter of different terminology and formations being used in Jarious Jackson's new offence but it bears close scrutiny.

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/w ... May-20.pdf
Blitz
Team Captain

Why is Greaves not competing for the right guard position? Foucault has been moved to right guard as I anticipated and will fight it out with Godber.

Why is Ricky Collins lined up on the depth chart at the same position as Bryan Burnham?

Where is A.J. Jefferson? Is he Anthony Orange?
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The Lions 1st TC depth charts is one of the most useless documents I have ever seen. Listing guys in alphabetical order????? That is not a DEPTH chart, it is a waste of ink and paper.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:39 am
Why is Greaves not competing for the right guard position? Foucault has been moved to right guard as I anticipated and will fight it out with Godber.

Why is Ricky Collins lined up on the depth chart at the same position as Bryan Burnham?

Where is A.J. Jefferson? Is he Anthony Orange?
Looking at the timing of your post Blitz you were up past your bedtime re: Collins. :wink:

Ricky Collins is listed under WR-X. Another Collins, Jasper Collins is listed in the same position as Burnham.

As for Jefferson/Orange I guess Anthony Orange is truly the player to be named later. AJ Jefferson and his bio now shows in the Lions' roster as Anthony Orange.
https://www.bclions.com/players/anthony-orange/157681/
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 6:44 am
The Lions 1st TC depth charts is one of the most useless documents I have ever seen. Listing guys in alphabetical order????? That is not a DEPTH chart, it is a waste of ink and paper.
Maybe a case of not knowing enough for a day or two to put out an accurate depth chart? While they may have a good idea who most of the first unit guys will be things will be very fluid initially. You can list the first one alphabetically or try to list it as the true depth chart you're looking for knowing it will change before the ink is dry. I know it doesn't do much good for those following along at home but they are usually pretty good at updating it through camp and handing out copies to folks in the stands.

On a bright note I see Foucault now wears #68 and Olafioye has his old #63 back. My JO game jersey, albeit the 2015 version, is back to being relevant. :wink:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 6:44 am
It's silly. The coaches project their starting lineup and ratio long before training camp opens. There are usually a few changes but not many. Last year was an exception in that at least eight positions were shuffled by the start of the regular season, including four in the secondary. That didn't work out too well. The defensive line was one of the few position group that remained unchanged from the start of training camp. That didn't work out too well either.

This depth chart is at least an improvement on last year, when the team didn't issue anything until Day 3 of camp.
David
Team Captain

Yes, LU wrote in his piece yesterday that AJ Jefferson has officially undergone a name change to Anthony Orange. Now that's a what I call a guy committed to his new team! :rotf:

If we end up signing John White and trade for Matt Black, we'll have half the characters from Reservoir Dogs. :wink:

Joking aside, I don't get the alphabetical order thing. It makes no sense other than to confuse the media and piss off hard-core fans. My first reaction to looking at the "depth chart" was "Holy s***. I know Jennings didn't have the best season last year....but putting Cody Fajardo as our first-string QB?!?"

It's kind of dumb if you ask me...

Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The "Roster Chart", imo is unprofessional.