QB, now what?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

We need another one now. Who do we sign?
leo4life
All Star

Khari Jones....😂
Odie
Rookie

I am curious what Johnathan Crompton is up to these days. He has a good deal of CFL experience and is a gritty QB who seems to find ways to win. His experience as a starter and backup may be valuable and he might make for a nice #2 option behind Jennings. My last recollection is that he was released by Montreal in training camp despite being healthy.
Rammer
Team Captain

One area Lion fans haven't had to concern themselves with in the Wally era has been QB. I criticize Wally for many things, but finding QB talent isn't one of them.

To me Ross looks to have potential as well, so don't expect Wally will go for a CFL castoff. Better to find and groom a third stringer with the potential of Lulay moving on in his career at seasons end.
Entertainment value = an all time low
SammyGreene
Team Captain

It will be interesting to see where the Lions go from there.

LU mentioned last week, Stephen Clarke's release was salary cap related as some unexpected bonuses for Lulay would be kicking in with him taking over as the No. 1 QB. Now obviously, that money is freed up again.

They have apparently made an offer Alex Bazzie and waiting for his decision.
Odie
Rookie

Rammer wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:34 am
One area Lion fans haven't had to concern themselves with in the Wally era has been QB. I criticize Wally for many things, but finding QB talent isn't one of them.

To me Ross looks to have potential as well, so don't expect Wally will go for a CFL castoff. Better to find and groom a third stringer with the potential of Lulay moving on in his career at seasons end.
Agreed, but Ross, although talented, is not ready yet and, if Jennings goes down, the offence may be in trouble. I would expect Wally to look to someone with some experience to at least help them through the season. Most teams preach the value of having 2 Qbs capable of starting and one being developed... Ross is not far enough along in his development yet to fulfill this role in my personal opinion, so some experience would be an asset. This is not without precedent in the Wally era - think Ben Sankey, or Buck Pierce (round 2).
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

The Ticats are shopping Collaros. Pretty pricey, but we would have 2 solid QB's going forward
CardiacKid
Legend

Maybe Rakeem Cato? Has CFL experience and is young; did show an upside in Montreal. As for the rancor he had with Duron Carter and his entourage of misfits, I think that can be set aside. If only for the fact the Carter and Stafford were truly toxic.

Bazzie is being courted by the Riders and a third as yet unnamed team. Does Bazzie have any family ties to the community? Farhan alluded to Bazzie becoming a dad; just wondering if his partner resides in Vancouver.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

There are three potential options or paths.

1) Find someone with some CFL experience who should be able to quickly pick up enough of the offence to be capable of stepping in. I wouldn't be expecting the second coming of Jennings or Lulay but hopefully enough to manage the game and not lose it. Strictly stop gap for the rest of the season. Guys like Cato, Crompton, (has he truly recovered from all his injuries?) DeMarco, Jensen. Keith Price might warrant consideration if anything because of system familiarity.

2) Roll the dice. Given the lack of experienced options this team will only go as far as Jennings can take them with hopefully limited need for Ross to carry the mail. It's approaching that time of the year when Wally would start bringing guys in for looksees for next year's camp. Go after somebody at the top of their neg list wish list. The attraction of being able to dress immediately might make them easier to sign. High risk but with only 7 games left maybe the best option.

3) Trade - like trying to find a vet there's slim pickings. Only 2 or 3 teams have a QB on the PR. The rest have their 3 active QBs and that's it. Collaros is the only experienced QB who might be available but even with only 7 games left to prorate his salary it's likely too big of a pill to swallow. Who knows what strings might be attached to his deal which carries through to the end of next season. He could only be acquired as a pure rental and with Hamilton scarily becoming a factor in the East playoff hunt with 2 wins they may not want to move him until the offseason.

The more I look at it I think option 2 might be the best because 1 and 3 are almost non-options.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Gotta trust in Wally on this one. As noted, his track record with QBs is off the charts.

I have a slight preference for someone new.

I expect the staff has confidence in Alex Ross. Otherwise we might have carried 4 QBs.

Zach Collaros. Talented. Damaged. Expensive. It would be a shocker to me if he ended up here. And I am not saying I would be opposed to it.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions expecting 2 new quarterbacks at practice tomorrow
BC 1988
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:47 pm
Maybe Rakeem Cato? Has CFL experience and is young; did show an upside in Montreal. As for the rancor he had with Duron Carter and his entourage of misfits, I think that can be set aside. If only for the fact the Carter and Stafford were truly toxic.

Bazzie is being courted by the Riders and a third as yet unnamed team. Does Bazzie have any family ties to the community? Farhan alluded to Bazzie becoming a dad; just wondering if his partner resides in Vancouver.
As far as whoever the Lions get in another QB--he better be either lightning fast release like Rickie Ray was in his prime, or very quick on his feet to outrun the inevitable pass rush. JJ10 had one of his easier outings vs MTL but that was due to them planning for TL. It will not be as easy vs CGY and (QB killer) HAM the following week.

From reports, Bazzie left the Lions on good terms-they gave him early release to pursue the NFL. I wonder if that helps at all in his decision on which club for his CFL return. Cost shouldn't be an issue since he was cut by 3 NFL clubs in 4 months.
Last edited by BC 1988 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Pauser
Legend

BC 1988 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:14 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:47 pm

As far as whoever the Lions get in another QB--he better be either lightning fast release like Rickie Ray was in his prime, or very quick on his feet to outrun the inevitable pass rush. JJ10 had one of his easier outings vs MTL but that was due to them planning for TL. It will not be as easy vs CGY and (QB killer) HAM the following week.

From reports, Bazzie left the Lions on good terms-they gave him early release to pursue the NFL. I wonder if that helps at all in his decision on which club for his CFL return. Cost shouldn't be an issue since he was cut by 3 NFL clubs in 4 months.
Cost is an issue when it comes to a bidding war with other CFL teams. Reportedly Saskatchewan is also talking to the Bazzie camp. Not sure about the cap situation of the Lions or Riders, but knowing that we cut Clarke because of cap reasons, and traded Olafioye for the same reason I don't think we have a ton of wiggle room.
Roar you Lions roar!
Odie
Rookie

Farhan Lalji is reporting the Lions are expected to bring in Mitchell Gale - most lately of the Calgary Stampeders, but played for Sask last year.

Lalji is also reporting another QB and and OL will also be added to camp.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Forgot about Gale but then he never impressed me anyways. I think Rider fans were debating who was slower; him or Sunseri. He does fit the bill though of a stop-gap measure type QB with some CFL experience to finish off the season.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.