The decline of Vancouver sports media & its effect on Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ballistic Bob
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:29 pm
Ballistic Bob wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:28 pm
Not getting 1040 or 1410 anymore on my Amazon Alexa . Anyone else have that problem. BB
Same here. Have to use iHeart Radio Canada on my phone.
1040 and 1410 are are back on Alexa
Wear orange or wear nothing
mountaincat
Rookie

From a release via Canada News Wire:

TSN 1040's New Weekday Lineup
•5:30 a.m. – 9 a.m. PT: THE BRO JAKE SHOW
Host Bro Jake continues to be joined by Dave Pratt and the best sports insiders and analysts in the biz to talk about what Vancouver sports fans care about most.

•9 a.m. – 12 p.m. PT: HALFORD & BROUGH
Hosts Mike Halford and Jason Brough are the new way to start the workday. Former Kurtenblog radio guys, Halford and Brough make the move to a daily sports radio show, bringing their unique insight, analysis, and humour to the biggest stories in the sports world.

•12 p.m. – 3 p.m. PT: DONNIE & 'THE MOJ'
Now featured in a new afternoon time slot, Don Taylor and Bob 'the Moj' Marjanovich, alongside the best insiders in the business, keep listeners up-to-date and entertained during the work day, including two full hours of Canucks analysis, opinions, and the latest breaking news on and off the ice on THE NUX @ NOON daily from 12 p.m. - 2 p.m. PT throughout the NHL season.

•3 p.m. – 7 p.m. PT: SEKERES AND PRICE
Matt Sekeres and Blake Price now deliver four solid hours of hot sports opinion and in-depth Canucks coverage to keep listeners entertained on the drive home.
my take on the new 1040 sked: doubling down on the suck-the-nucks-teet even tho the rights are byebye. perhaps more one dimensional than ever before.

bro joke show - i guess it's just gonna be more of the same, then. yawn!

kurtenblog show - canucks fanboys get a daily time slot. double yawn!!

donnie & the moj switching spots with sekers & price - don't really get this one. donnie & the moj are the most credible and recognizable names on the station, and both knowledgeable about the lions, why make them do a re-hashed "canucks lunch" in the middle of the day instead of featuring them during "drive time"? sekeres knows his football ok, but is kinda full of himself and hard to listen to. blake price brings absolutely nothing to the airwaves and never has. can't see this show being a ratings winner.

and with all due respect to bmac and his depression issues (no judgment/stigma here), for a knowledgeable and experienced sports broadcaster, he was pretty freakin boring to listen to on the radio. supposedly a good interviewer but usually sounded utterly bored and passionless about everything but baseball.

all just my opinion! :beer:

can't believe there is still no daily lions show/designated hour after 17 years on the air and 14 with the broadcast rights. you'd think with the canucks rights gone after more than a decade there'd be a little room for such a feature now. :bang:
BC 1988
Legend

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/ts ... 27573.html

The realignment of the timeslots and personnel is no doubt an attempt to counter the Sportsnet AM 650 new lineup.

Bro Jake-Pratt are still there, but for how long? (They could be just placeholders for now). At least now I can almost completely avoid them, since they are gone by 9am.

I never listened to the Kurtenbloggers, so no opinion about them, but a potential 5 hours dedicated to Canucks from 9am-2pm is a bit much. The really funny thing is that Taylor has frequently rebelled at being expected to be a Canucks cheerleader, but maybe that's the point--they are no longer constrained by being the broadcaster. All the same, their access to the club won't be the same now.

I haven't heard anything official about BMac, but his name is gone from the show so I guess he's done.

3-7 pm makes more sense as the drive time show and (I guess) they think Sekeres-Price are the best counter to Scott Rintoul-Andrew Walker (an import from Toronto).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I thought Bro Jake's contract wasn't going to be renewed. What's with Jake calling himself Bro ?
Ballistic Bob
Legend

BMac is still suffering from depression. Hope he makes it back. Thnx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Qman
Champion

BC 1988 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:09 am
http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/ts ... 27573.html

The realignment of the timeslots and personnel is no doubt an attempt to counter the Sportsnet AM 650 new lineup.

Bro Jake-Pratt are still there, but for how long? (They could be just placeholders for now). At least now I can almost completely avoid them, since they are gone by 9am.

I never listened to the Kurtenbloggers, so no opinion about them, but a potential 5 hours dedicated to Canucks from 9am-2pm is a bit much. The really funny thing is that Taylor has frequently rebelled at being expected to be a Canucks cheerleader, but maybe that's the point--they are no longer constrained by being the broadcaster. All the same, their access to the club won't be the same now.

I haven't heard anything official about BMac, but his name is gone from the show so I guess he's done.

3-7 pm makes more sense as the drive time show and (I guess) they think Sekeres-Price are the best counter to Scott Rintoul-Andrew Walker (an import from Toronto).
BMac had his contract bought out a few months ago
Matt Baker
Rookie

Whether you guys like it or not, Canucks talk is what gets the metre moving in this town. Losing the rights doesn't change that. If anything they will now be able to control the conversation even MORE with the leeway to be more critical, etc. I wish it were different and I understand the frustration, but that's just the way it is.
mountaincat
Rookie

Matt Baker wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:53 am
Whether you guys like it or not, Canucks talk is what gets the metre moving in this town. Losing the rights doesn't change that. If anything they will now be able to control the conversation even MORE with the leeway to be more critical, etc. I wish it were different and I understand the frustration, but that's just the way it is.
you work for the lions now though, right? is that the kind of defeatist attitude over there these days? I'm not expecting things to change overnight, but "that's just the way it is" will be a self fulfilling prophecy if that's how rigidly everyone really thinks. things have changed a lot in the last few years for the worse, they could also change for the better in a few years and the lions could "move the needle" once again. 1040 putting just about all their eggs in the canucks currently somewhat fragile basket, is pretty narrow thinking imo. its not like they are killing it in the ratings or about to get the rights back anytime soon. the vast majority of nucks fans are going to keep the dial parked where the games and team access are. if nux suck, the truly disgruntled and disillusioned diehards will call up 1040 to *beeotch*. if nux are good, not sure there's enuf gravy to float 3 all sports stations. if necessary the lions should get some of their sponsors to step up and purchase airtime w/ their own ads for a one hour weekday show covering the lions in depth and promoting the cfl... it could be hosted by matt baker.
Dusty
Champion

With Rintoul's departure, I think Lowell Ulrich has taken over the weekly radio show which focusses on the Lions (first hour) and CFL (second hour). It is very poorly marketed and I often miss it "live" because I forget that it is on-air tho I will on occasion listen to it later via the TSN site.

I still think that 1040 has an opportunity to do some Lions-centric broadcasting..... If they have a 'Nucks Lunch every day, why not have a regularly scheduled Lions hour each day in the afternoon.... focussing on the previous game on Monday and then updates on the practices and the upcoming game for the remainder of the week..... including reports from the next opposition team as well..... to build some excitement.... or at least some customer awareness.... I realize that there is usually a 10-15 minute contribution from Farhan or Lowell sometimes during the week, but it is not a scheduled thing...
BC 1988
Legend

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:29 pm
BMac is still suffering from depression. Hope he makes it back. Thnx BB
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/audio/update-on ... d-1.835450
Taylor's latest take on BMac's depreesion issues. Apparently, the door isn't completely closed to him returning (if only as a guest).
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Sportsnet 650 has released its daily broadcast schedule. There's a dedicated daily one-hour Canucks show at noon. Lions? Who knows?
Scott Rintoul in the 4-7 p.m. slot might be the most likely to talk Lions.
BC 1988
Legend

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4252875
It's interesting how many of the 650 AM team (both on and off air) is ex TSN--Satiar Shah in particular, they've made him an important piece even though he was the straight man to the Bro Jake-Pratt blather. He did have a fair resume in Edmonton before that.

BC FAN--you're right it looks like they aren't interested in the CFL at all, and you wonder how much time Rintoul will be allowed to spend on that.

Of course, us 50+ listeners (according to MacEwen) are dinosaurs and don't count in the coming ratings war. I look forward to seeing how much of these lineups are the same 6 months to a year from now.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

While the Lions don't have a great number of fans attending games, they do draw pretty big numbers to the TV to watch games on TSN. So shouldn't TSN Radio 1040 be trying to capture some of their TV audience?
David
Team Captain

James Cybulski is just as likely to talk Lions/CFL as Rintoul. Whether the station allows him to and whether his co-hosts are willing to is another thing.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Matt Baker wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:53 am
Good to know.

I'll continue my current practice of not tuning in.