Free Agent Market and Free Agent Camps

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm surprised that Purifoy hasn't drawn any interest south of the border.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Let's go through by position and assess:

Quarterback
- we're set here. I am salivating at the prospect of Jennings playing in his 2nd full year now that he can properly read defenses. One of the best pure passers in football. Learning when to take chances and when to throw the ball out of bounds. That's going to come. Lulay a solid back-up and QB mentor. Will watch with interest the development of Alex Ross. Lots of tools in his toolbox. :thup:

Running Back
- we're almost set here. Johnson and Lumbala. We need a platoon back for Johnson (or back-up) if Anthony Allen is not coming back, and I am not sure why we're not bringing him back - unless he believes he deserves a full-time RB position somewhere. Maybe Wally is coming around to the idea that Chris Rainey is the 1-2 punch as a running back/slot hybrid and will dial back his returns? :thup:

Receivers - Burnham is the lynch-pin here. If we can lock him up, I'd say we're almost set. Manny and Nick Moore round out the International receivers. Not sure what's going to happen to Sinkfield but I would love to see him with a training camp under his belt. We've signed several import receivers, two of whom are Manny's size. Nationals need to step up. Gore is getting up there and has a lot of mileage on the odometer. Marco has peaked but I like his return abilities. Adekolu deserves more game action. Can Blaszko and Johnson step up? :thup:

O-line - looks like everything is intact from last season. I want to see Vaillancourt step into the left guard spot and Hunter move to tackle. I don't want to hear any more of this BS about no Nationals to back him up. Deal with the ratio if/when injury occurs. :thup:

D-line - thinner than a Graham cracker here with Bazzie gone and Brooks and Westerman looking for better deals. Sounds like Wally is okay with Westerman testing FA waters and perhaps re-signing here if he doesn't get a better deal elsewhere. If camp were to start tomorrow, it would be Roh, Turner, Menard (Forde), and one of Hudson or Allen. No depth to speak of. Yikes. Uko no longer on the roster. Look for Wally to actively pursue a CFL FA or two. :thdn:

Linebacker - Signing Solly was huge. We're going to miss Bighill's production (and leadership), no question, but I am actually more choked about losing Lokombo due to nationality and potential. Hopefully Cam Ontko and Dyshawn Davis can step up. Purifoy should be even stronger this year at nickel. Look for the club to draft a National linebacker in the early rounds. :thup:

Secondary - this is the position group that concerns me most at this point (behind defensive line). Yell, Lee not signed and coming off major surgery. Departure of Gaitor. Phillips a strong possibility for reduced role or retirement, Stewart injured and not coming back. On the plus side, Clarke is locked up and is a lock-down halfback. Fenner is back. Parker perhaps ready to start at field corner? Is Thompson ready to challenge Edem at safety, or will he back up Parker on the corner? :thdn:

K/P
- Swayze Waters was an important signing. Can do all 3 kicking duties really well. Need to draft a National though. :thup:

DH :cool:
Very nice work, David.

O Line. This fan would like to see Steward at tackle.

D Line. Scary. Menard :thup: A very solid, rotational backup. Then what?

Secondary. Not too worried. We had a boatload of talent last year. We kept shipping them to the infirmary, and bringing in very good replacements. Mark W seems very capable of identifying talent that can play. Safety? Yes, needs a solution.

This fan thought our talent was as good as any in the league last year. Credit to Wally and his staff.

As always, the bigger concerns for this fan are:

a) the overall philosophy on O and D. Attack or play "safe"?

b) more detailed, flexible, variable, creative game planning
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have confirmed the signing of Hunter Steward to a one-year extension. Great news. I hope they give him a chance at LT but with Jovan Olafioye and Antonio Johnson both signed for 2017 I wouldn't bet on it.
CFL.CA STAFF
VANCOUVER — The BC Lions have signed Hunter Steward to a one-year contract extension, the team announced Wednesday.

Steward played 18 games for the Lions in 2016, starting 14 at left guard.

“Hunter is a young and talented offensive lineman who continues to improve each year,” said Head Coach and General Manager Wally Buono. “Success on offence begins with the ability to run the ball and protect the quarterback and Hunter plays a significant role in that success.”
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:The Lions have confirmed the signing of Hunter Steward to a one-year extension. Great news. I hope they give him a chance at LT but with Jovan Olafioye and Antonio Johnson both signed for 2017 I wouldn't bet on it.
CFL.CA STAFF
VANCOUVER — The BC Lions have signed Hunter Steward to a one-year contract extension, the team announced Wednesday.

Steward played 18 games for the Lions in 2016, starting 14 at left guard.

“Hunter is a young and talented offensive lineman who continues to improve each year,” said Head Coach and General Manager Wally Buono. “Success on offence begins with the ability to run the ball and protect the quarterback and Hunter plays a significant role in that success.”
Signing Hunter Steward is great news indeed. I also hope that the Lions play him at LT and Olafoye at RT with Johnson as backup. Lions could then start 2 NATs on D and Gore as the only NAT receiver and have Ianuzzi come in as a second WR with Johnson if Steward is injured or needs a breather. But probably the Lions only want NATs as O line backups and not an INT like Johnson.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

BC 1988 wrote:The Swayze Waters I saw in that game was the class of the league. Time will tell if he can regain that form (after a long injury rehab, and crashing out in his NFL stint last pre-season).
I suspect Wally is taking a bit of a flyer on this, and that's why he's still available.
Let's just say I'm cautiously optimistic about Waters and trust Wally will add competition for him before camp opens. Waters was outstanding in all aspects in 2014 but not so outstanding when it came to FGs in his other 3 years. He was 47 of 52 for 90.4% in 2014 but never raised above 75% in any of the other 3 years. He was 54 of 75 for 72.0% over 2012, 2013 and 2015. I realize injuries have played a role at times but they didn't seem to hamper his punting at any point.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Lionsfan65
Starter

Waters already appears on the Lions roster wearing #34, my guess is the job is his to loose for this season, however, Wally will likely either draft a national in a later round, or sign an import like Fera, and keep this kicker on the practice roster or 1 game injured list as a backup.
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
BC 1988 wrote:The Swayze Waters I saw in that game was the class of the league. Time will tell if he can regain that form (after a long injury rehab, and crashing out in his NFL stint last pre-season).
I suspect Wally is taking a bit of a flyer on this, and that's why he's still available.
Let's just say I'm cautiously optimistic about Waters and trust Wally will add competition for him before camp opens. Waters was outstanding in all aspects in 2014 but not so outstanding when it came to FGs in his other 3 years. He was 47 of 52 for 90.4% in 2014 but never raised above 75% in any of the other 3 years. He was 54 of 75 for 72.0% over 2012, 2013 and 2015. I realize injuries have played a role at times but they didn't seem to hamper his punting at any point.
he has had a year off essentially, so injuries that plagued him last two years in TOR should be behind him ... hopefully!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to 3downnation.com, the Lions have signed former Saskatchewan national DE Dylan Ainsworth, who missed the 2016 season with a neck injury. I liked his potential in 2014 when he was drafted 11th overall. He was used mainly as a special teamer in Saskatchewan but can be a great pickup if he is healthy.
The B.C. Lions have signed former Saskatchewan Roughrider defensive end Dylan Ainsworth to a two-year contract, per sources.

Ainsworth was drafted by the Riders 11th overall in 2014 and played in 35 games during his first two seasons, posting 29 special teams tackles. However, Ainsworth suffered a neck injury in training camp last spring and missed the entire 2016 campaign.

The Delta, B.C.native was released by the Riders Jan. 27 – he was set to become a free agent on February 14. Ainsworth is just 24 and was named the Riders’ Most Outstanding Special Teams Player in 2015, 12 special teams tackles, so he could be a valuable piece for Wally Buono’s Lions if he’s fully healthy.
B.C. Lions sign former Rider Dylan Ainsworth
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the link, BCFAN.

I like this pickup.

Dylan Ainsworth 6'3'' 242 lbs. Rush end size. STs (Special Teams).

11th overall pick in 2014

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-5 ... 35646.html
Another player who shot up these rankings thanks to his combine performance was Western Mustangs' defensive lineman Dylan Ainsworth, who was ranked 15th in January but has moved up to seventh. Ainsworth dazzled at the combine, leading all defensive linemen with a 4.697-second 40, a 35.5 inch vertical jump and a broad jump of 10 feet, 2.5 inches. His impressive physical showing got people talking, and it wouldn't be surprising to see him taken relatively high in this year's draft.
If he is healthy, and no reason to doubt that, methinks, this looks like a valuable football talent.

McAvoy, Simon and staff, the bird dogs, are doing their work. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Qman
Champion

he's a special teamer ... doubt he would be in the dline rotation unless we had injuries. good signing if healthy
squishy35
Legend

tsn.ca/cfl reporting a one year deal has been signed. Good signing as Waters handles all kicking duties.

(Moved to the free agent thread. Mod Staff)
CardiacKid
Legend

I was surprised to see Ainsworth get released by the Riders; I recall he was effective and had an impact when called upon to play on the d-line and the Riders are so pitifully weak in their National depth. But I assumed he hadn't fully recovered from his injury so that's why he got released. Mind you, he got released the same time as Mitchell Gale and Curtis Steele so I really wondered if Jones was in a reckless gambling mood that day....

But I guess we can assume he is healthy; I agree he is a good pickup. I think he is capable of contributing on the d-line as a rotational guy. As mentioned, I remember his name getting called for positive plays while appearing in limited opportunities as a Rider.

You have to have quality Canadian depth...no doubt about it.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:I was surprised to see Ainsworth get released by the Riders; I recall he was effective and had an impact when called upon to play on the d-line and the Riders are so pitifully weak in their National depth. But I assumed he hadn't fully recovered from his injury so that's why he got released. Mind you, he got released the same time as Mitchell Gale and Curtis Steele so I really wondered if Jones was in a reckless gambling mood that day....

But I guess we can assume he is healthy; I agree he is a good pickup. I think he is capable of contributing on the d-line as a rotational guy. As mentioned, I remember his name getting called for positive plays while appearing in limited opportunities as a Rider.

You have to have quality Canadian depth...no doubt about it.
As noted, if he is healthy, and we have no reason to think otherwise, he looks like a good pickup.

He might even ease the loss of Lokombo. Special Teams (Riders’ Most Outstanding Special Teams Player in 2015). Possible rotation work as a rush end. Who knows? But I like the signing. He has been a very highly rated National talent, going back to the draft, and in play with the Riders.

Personnel work: Keep digging. Keep lifting up rocks. Occasionally you find some nuggets. As a Lion fan, methinks one has to like the work of McAvoy, Simon and staff in the last couple of years, or even more. Not in all areas, or course. D Line Internationals? Somewhat underwhelming IMO, especially compared to what we have had over the years.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Mike Beamish reports that Ainsworth has personal reasons for wanting to play at home close to his dad, who is battling cancer.

Dylan Ainsworth returns home to deal with family crisis, play for B.C. Lions

Beamish suggests Ainsworth could fill a void on the defensive line or at linebacker as a rotational or depth player, in the expected absence of Jabar Westerman and Bo Lokombo. Ainsworth was a much higher rated defensive end prospect than David Menard, who was selected 21 picks after Ainsworth in the 2014 CFL draft. Menard has done pretty well as a rotational defensive end with the Lions and didn't look out of place as a part-time starter last year. I'd like to see Ainsworth get some reps on the line.
pennw
Legend

Looks like we sort of swapped draft picks with the Riders , they poached Ese off us and now we returned the favour and took their pick in Ainsworth . Both seemingly unwanted by their drafting team .