Free Agent Market and Free Agent Camps

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:My initial thought with Moore coming back was his signing may have been influenced to a greater degree by Wally's attitude towards Sinkfield and not so much Burnham going elsewhere. Maybe he can afford Moore and Burnham but not Sinkfield and Burnham? Myself, I preferred what Moore brought last year in comparison to Sinkfield; Sinkfield just seemed disconnected with Jennings waaay too often.
Moore is a much more polished route-runner and receiver than Sinkfield but he lacks game-breaking speed of Rainey and Sinkfield. Moore's injury history has limited his market value since Winnipeg lured him away from the Lions in 2014 for a reported $185,000 a year.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CardiacKid wrote:And I certainly hope Steward is back...the wife and I splurged on both his home and away jerseys at the locker-room sale.
TSN is reporting that Steward has re-signed. Strange though as the article when I just read it indicates it was posted 9 hours ago. Haven't seen any indication elsewhere.

http://www.tsn.ca/lions-re-sign-ol-stew ... e-1.665765
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

That's good news if true.
Lionsfan65
Starter

The article is still posted on TSN, no word yet from the official CFL site yet, but Steward was a huge piece, and in my opinion the best lineman on a pretty good line last year.
Hopefully we can still get a deal done with Burnham, but Moore is a pretty signing too, even if he plays in Sinkfield's spot.
I like what Turner brings, however I believe that this signing pretty much ensures that Brooks will not be back this year as they are both best playing the 3 tech position. That being said I really hope we target Nevis from Hamilton in free agengy as he is a big nose tackle type that we desperately need.
maxlion
Legend

Lionsfan65 wrote:The article is still posted on TSN, no word yet from the official CFL site yet, but Steward was a huge piece, and in my opinion the best lineman on a pretty good line last year.
Hopefully we can still get a deal done with Burnham, but Moore is a pretty signing too, even if he plays in Sinkfield's spot.
I like what Turner brings, however I believe that this signing pretty much ensures that Brooks will not be back this year as they are both best playing the 3 tech position. That being said I really hope we target Nevis from Hamilton in free agengy as he is a big nose tackle type that we desperately need.
Farhan's twitter account indicates that the Steward signing is for 1 year so that he can the NFL again next year.
Regarding Turner, Wally mentioned that part of his effectiveness last year was a result of his willingness to play in a back-up, supporting role. I don't expect that he will be in a full-time starting role. We still need Brooks or someone else.
Spud387
Champion

The #BCLions have signed placekicker and punter Swayze Waters for the 2017 season.
Kicking duties appear to be in good hands
maxlion
Legend

Spud387 wrote:
The #BCLions have signed placekicker and punter Swayze Waters for the 2017 season.
Great news. Should be a significant upgrade on Leone (but you never know with kickers!).
Lionsfan65
Starter

I really liked Waters a couple of years ago when he was with Toronto, if I can recall he did all three kicking duties reasonably well.
CardiacKid
Legend

With this recent spate of signings, I wonder if there will be a few more releases/departures (besides the recent reportage of Allen and Westermann not being tendered offers) in order to facilitate the signing of Burnham?!?!
CardiacKid
Legend

Lionsfan65 wrote:I really liked Waters a couple of years ago when he was with Toronto, if I can recall he did all three kicking duties reasonably well.
Quote pulled from TSN.CA....

"In 2014, he earned the CFL’s Most Outstanding Special Teams Player nod after leading the league in kicking points (192), field goals (47) as well as punting average (47.7 yards). No player had previously accomplished that feat since the Lions’ own Lui Passaglia’s did so in 1983. Waters was also good on 90.4 per cent of his field goal attempts that year."

I didn't know Lui was the last guy to achieve that particular feat....
BC 1988
Legend

maxlion wrote:
Spud387 wrote:
Great news. Should be a significant upgrade on Leone (but you never know with kickers!).
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27810&start=90
This game day thread from 2014 showed how valuable Waters was to the Argos vs the Lions. PM had a bad game and he was completely outclassed.

The Swayze Waters I saw in that game was the class of the league. Time will tell if he can regain that form (after a long injury rehab, and crashing out in his NFL stint last pre-season).
I suspect Wally is taking a bit of a flyer on this, and that's why he's still available.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Steward. Waters. Good news. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Qman
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:Steward. Waters. Good news. :thup:
lots of signings ... i hope we have money to spend on February 14th
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Qman wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Steward. Waters. Good news. :thup:
lots of signings ... i hope we have money to spend on February 14th
It looks like the door is open for Brooks to return to B.C. If that's the case, the Lions may not have any big holes to fill in free agency.
NEWS 1130 Sports ‏@NEWS1130Sports
#BCLions free agent Michael Brooks still keeping NFL options open but has started preliminary talks with the Lions as well.
NEWS 1130 Sports ‏@NEWS1130Sports
Brooks worked out for 6 teams in the NFL, he's waiting on NFL, #BCLions want to re-sign him and CFL free agency awaits as well.
David
Team Captain

Let's go through by position and assess:

Quarterback
- we're set here. I am salivating at the prospect of Jennings playing in his 2nd full year now that he can properly read defenses. One of the best pure passers in football. Learning when to take chances and when to throw the ball out of bounds. That's going to come. Lulay a solid back-up and QB mentor. Will watch with interest the development of Alex Ross. Lots of tools in his toolbox. :thup:

Running Back
- we're almost set here. Johnson and Lumbala. We need a platoon back for Johnson (or back-up) if Anthony Allen is not coming back, and I am not sure why we're not bringing him back - unless he believes he deserves a full-time RB position somewhere. Maybe Wally is coming around to the idea that Chris Rainey is the 1-2 punch as a running back/slot hybrid and will dial back his returns? :thup:

Receivers - Burnham is the lynch-pin here. If we can lock him up, I'd say we're almost set. Manny and Nick Moore round out the International receivers. Not sure what's going to happen to Sinkfield but I would love to see him with a training camp under his belt. We've signed several import receivers, two of whom are Manny's size. Nationals need to step up. Gore is getting up there and has a lot of mileage on the odometer. Marco has peaked but I like his return abilities. Adekolu deserves more game action. Can Blaszko and Johnson step up? :thup:

O-line - looks like everything is intact from last season. I want to see Vaillancourt step into the left guard spot and Hunter move to tackle. I don't want to hear any more of this BS about no Nationals to back him up. Deal with the ratio if/when injury occurs. :thup:

D-line - thinner than a Graham cracker here with Bazzie gone and Brooks and Westerman looking for better deals. Looks like Wally is okay with Westerman testing FA waters and perhaps re-signing here if he doesn't get a better deal elsewhere. If camp were to start tomorrow, it would be Roh, Turner, Menard (Forde), and one of Hudson or Allen. No depth to speak of. Yikes. Uko no longer on the roster. Look for Wally to actively pursue a CFL FA or two. :thdn:

Linebacker - Signing Solly was huge. We're going to miss Bighill's production (and leadership), no question, but I am actually more choked about losing Lokombo due to nationality and potential. Hopefully Cam Ontko and Dyshawn Davis can step up. Purifoy should be even stronger this year at nickel. Look for the club to draft a National linebacker in the early rounds. :thup:

Secondary - this is the position group that concerns me most at this point (behind defensive line). Yell, Lee not signed and coming off major surgery. Departure of Gaitor. Phillips a strong possibility for reduced role or retirement, Stewart injured and not coming back. On the plus side, Clarke is locked up and is a lock-down halfback. Fenner is back. Parker perhaps ready to start at field corner? Is Thompson ready to challenge Edem at safety, or will he back up Parker on the corner? :thdn:

K/P
- Swayze Waters was an important signing. Can do all 3 kicking duties really well. Need to draft a National though. :thup:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar