An idea to kick around?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

QB Club 63
All Star

Is it too early to be concerned about the Leos' kicking game for 2017 (and beyond)? As much as I respect Paul McCallum, I don't see him as a viable option heading into the new season. And as we get closer to Feb 14th, more and more of the good FA kickers have been locked up.

Unlike the fabled US College running back machine, there doesn't appear to be a plethora of qualified kickers, National on International, out there to be cherry-picked. Having Richie Leone here was always entertaining because the guy was young, personable, and a damn good punter. The fact that he immersed himself into learning how to be a place kicker speaks to his dedication, but I think we can classify that experiment as a failure.

There is a guy I'd like to see given a chance. I think he'd be a little bit interested in trying out for Wally and Marcello Simmons - Quinn Van Gylswyk. Now, please feel free to tell me I'm crazy but how hard would it be to get this guy off the Riders roster? They took him in the third round and he spent most of 2016 on the infamous Riders' "injured" list. With Josh Bartel locked in as punter and place-kicker Tyler Crapigna having been extended thru 2019, one has to wonder what might entice Chris Jones to let the Victoria native come back home to the West Coast. Maybe trade a 3rd round pick for this 3rd round pick? I think QVG would look MUCH better in orange and black. :roar:

Am I missing something or does this idea make sense?
Qman
Champion

i think wally is leaning towards swayze waters, who was the one of the best kicker/punters in league until he went to nfl. biggest issue is he a INT and takes a DI spot away
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Van Gylswyk's body of work doesn't justify trading a third-round draft choice for him. He was buried on the injured list for most of his rookie season in Saskatchewan. He played in just one regular season game when Tyler Crapigna was injured, and hit on one of three field goal attempts (that being from 54 yards) and one convert. He didn't punt but he averaged 45.4 yards on nine punts in the preseason. Crapigna hit on 36 of 42 field goals (85.7%) and was recently re-signed for three years by the Riders. Van Gylswyk may stub his toe and get put on the injured list again but he doesn't seem to be in the Riders' immediate plans. Wally can be patient and see who becomes available later this year.
CardiacKid
Legend

A couple of names that have been circulating around my grey matter but you have to promise not to laugh :)

Boris Bede and Ronnie Pfeffer.

Yes, Bede truly had a season to forget last year. But....his rookie year was sensational so which is the real Boris Bede? Lirim Hajrulllahu had a Bede-like season in his last year with the Bombers but bounced back very nicely last year with the Argos; he handled all 3 kicking duties very well and likely came very cheap. Bede's problems were likely mechanical and mental (not a lack of talent); his confidence probably wasn't helped by the terrible man-management of the Popp regime and the Toxic Twins of Carter and Stafford (in fact Carter totally threw Bede under the bus in public). A change of scenery would likely be a huge help in bringing him back to what he showed in his rookie year. Bede has a huge leg, a Richie Leone-type leg and is a free agent. Like Hajrullahu leaving the Bombers, he likely is not in a position to look for big $ but instead, has to settle for a team willing to give a shot at redemption. He is however an International despite attending university in Quebec.

Ronnie Pfeffer filled in for Waters in Toronto a couple of seasons ago and did pretty good. Maybe not lights out but for a guy who went undrafted out of Laurier, he did quite well in handling all 3 kicking duties. He then signed with the Redblacks for last season but missed a fair chunk of last year due to injury. His numbers are okay, fairly solid but he might not factor in the Redblacks plans for next year. He is not a free agent but the Redblacks have been operating a kicker carousel the last 2 years, much like their running back situation. I have no idea what his injury status is but Ottawa might just set him lose, in which case he would likely be worth a look-see and probably a fairly inexpensive one at that.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:Van Gylswyk's body of work doesn't justify trading a third-round draft choice for him. He was buried on the injured list for most of his rookie season in Saskatchewan. He played in just one regular season game when Tyler Crapigna was injured, and hit on one of three field goal attempts (that being from 54 yards) and one convert. He didn't punt but he averaged 45.4 yards on nine punts in the preseason. Crapigna hit on 36 of 42 field goals (85.7%) and was recently re-signed for three years by the Riders. Van Gylswyk may stub his toe and get put on the injured list again but he doesn't seem to be in the Riders' immediate plans. Wally can be patient and see who becomes available later this year.
For whatever it's worth on QVG here's his UBC stats.

2015 stats: 40 of 49 FGs - 6/6 from 0-19, 11/13 from 20-29, 15/16 from 30-39, 8/12 from 40-49 and 0/2 from 50+. Punting average 43.3. KO average 53.7
2014 stats: 12 of 19 FGs - 2/2 from 0-19, 4/5 from 20-29, 6/8 from 30-39, 0/4 from 40-49 and 0/0 from 50+. Punting average 40.9. KO average 57.4
2013 stats: 18 of 24 FGs - 5/5 from 0-19, 6/6 from 20-29, 3/6 from 30-39, 4/7 from 40-49 and 0/0 from 50+. Punting average 42.6. KO average 51.7

Some could point to leg maturity as a factor in the punting and KO averages but by the time the 2015 season started he was 24. He will be 26 in April. Wally's preference will be first and foremost having 1 kicker to handle all 3 jobs, preferably a National but he'll settle for one International to handle all 3 as opposed to having two kickers split the jobs. Having a good punter and KO kicker is very important in Buono's books for the battle for field position. I acknowledge that the numbers above were from QVG's college days but they simply aren't good enough to secure the job in all 3 disciplines at the pro level.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

On Van Gyswyk's, I think the Lions should just wait out the Riders. If the Riders try to put him on the practice roster as they did at one point last season, Lions should just pluck him and put him on the active roster.
squishy35
Legend

Grant Shaw is a FA (national) in EDM. Pretty average but still has plenty of leg. He didn't kick FG's last year but was around 87% in 2015.
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:On Van Gyswyk's, I think the Lions should just wait out the Riders. If the Riders try to put him on the practice roster as they did at one point last season, Lions should just pluck him and put him on the active roster.
If Wally inquired today, I am sure that QVG would cost more than a 3rd rounder. Jones would likely ask for one of our first rounders in return - but that would just be bad management on Wally's part (to pass on a guy one year, then surrender a first round pick the following year). I don't see this happening, but I also don't see us being able to just pluck Quinn from the PR and put him on our active roster, unless there is some type of kicking emergency here. And Wally will want this position solidified before this scenario takes place.

Waters (or someone like him) seems most likely, although he's likely looking for another NFL shot before committing. Whomever is signed (even if it's Boris Bede, which is unlikely), at least we have kicking guru Don Sweet in our backyard to work with as a kicking consultant. He couldn't do much for Leone, but I think his field goal issues were more between the ears than anything else.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote:Grant Shaw is a FA (national) in EDM. Pretty average but still has plenty of leg. He didn't kick FG's last year but was around 87% in 2015.
That's somewhat deceiving though. His average is good but stats show lack of leg is likely why Sean Whyte now handles FGs. if you notice in his stats and game logs of the 44 FGs he made over 2014 & 2015 only 1 was longer than 44 yards. I dug back further in his career and found that after 7 years in the league he has exactly 4 FGs from 50 or longer on his resume. 2 of the 4 were on the prairies; one from 50 in 2013 in Regina and his career best of 52 in 2010 at CanadInns in Winnipeg. Have to assume tailwinds were involved there because rarely is their no wind and it's unlikely he'd get the chance kicking into the wind. The other two were both from 50 and both at Skydome in Toronto, one in 2010 and one in 2012. He won't benefit from tailwinds in BC Place. Looks like he lost the placekicking job in Edmonton due to lack of range. For all intents his FG range is Paul McCallum aged 45 range.
QB Club 63
All Star

David wrote:If Wally inquired today, I am sure that QVG would cost more than a 3rd rounder. Jones would likely ask for one of our first rounders in return
But didn't Wally already send a past first-rounder to Riderville last June? Ese Mrabure (looks like he has dropped the "hyphen Ajufo"), who was so highly overrated by Jeff Tedford in the 2015 draft. :bang:

The way I see it, the greenies owe us one. But if Jones demands more, we could throw in the rights to former first-rounder Danny Watkins. :wink:
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:i think wally is leaning towards swayze waters, who was the one of the best kicker/punters in league until he went to nfl. biggest issue is he a INT and takes a DI spot away
True, but so was Leone, so it's a wash from that perspective.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
Qman wrote:i think wally is leaning towards swayze waters, who was the one of the best kicker/punters in league until he went to nfl. biggest issue is he a INT and takes a DI spot away
True, but so was Leone, so it's a wash from that perspective.
The way I see Wally's preferences it would be:

1) 1 National to handle all disciplines.
2) 1 International to handle all disciplines.
3) 2 Nationals to split duties
4) 1 National & 1 International to split duties
5) I think it's a non-starter for Wally but 2 Internationals to split duties.

While it's true option 2) takes away a DI spot it's not as much a matter of losing a DI to a kicker. You're losing a DI but gaining a NAT.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone, Until now I hadn't really thought about the positive consequence of playing an IN at kicker/punter is that you then gain NAT depth elsewhere. :thup: :thup:
QB Club 63
All Star

I see Farhan is reporting that the Als have released Anthony Fera, so unless he's signing an NFL deal like all the other early FA releases I would expect Wally to give him a call.

https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/stat ... 9449771008
Lionsfan65
Starter

QB Club 63 wrote:I see Farhan is reporting that the Als have released Anthony Fera, so unless he's signing an NFL deal like all the other early FA releases I would expect Wally to give him a call.

https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/stat ... 9449771008
I wouldn't mind having Fera back. He played pretty well in the one game in 2015. As I understand he is more of a natural field goal kicker then Leone was.