2016 Grey Cup Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Tremendous game. I'm happy for Burris and Sinopoli, who had outstanding games, and ex-Lion Ernest Jackson, who had an outstanding season. But I'm mostly happy for the Ottawa fans who have waited 40 years for a Grey Cup. A new generation of passionate fans has embraced this team. Many of them probably weren't born when Tony Gabriel hauled in the winning TD pass in the 1976 Grey Cup. The RedBlacks organization is only a few years old but has quickly become a model franchise. I hope Toronto and Vancouver can experience the level of passion that the RedBlacks have generated among younger fans.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

two years in a row that the MOP QB was the loser in the GC and the winning QB was the MVP in the cup.

Very pumped to see Burris do so well today and for his team to get the win.

Burris has now won the cup with 2 underdog teams that were not expected to make it even close.

Wonder if any other QB has done that.

Well, my two favorite QBs have won the last two cup MVPs, let us hope my third fav, Jennings, does it next year.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:I didn't think Sinopoli was 100% at fault. The Calgary player made a great play and there was no other Red Black players near the ball.
Oh I don't really find fault with him but can you imagine thinking that you had the chance to put away the game and muffed it. I'm sure that would have haunted him for the rest of his life.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Two very well coached teams. Fully prepped. Xs and Os first rate. Execution at a high level. Is Calgary's personnel far ahead of everynone else? Methinks not. Top level for sure. But also excellent coaching.

Kudos to Rick Campbell and his staff for the excellent game prep. Kudos to Dave Dickenson, John Hufnagel and staff for an otherwise truly excellent season.

Do Xs and Os rule? Well you still need top personnel and that other thing, ahem, execution. But you definitely need modern Xs and Os, IMO.

Good to see Ottawa win. I would not want to think that Calgary cannot be challenged.

This fan thinks the personnel with well managed teams should be competitive. Then it comes down to preparation, and that other thing, execution.

Three Ints on Bo. Good pressure on him.

The result is good for the league.

Good to see Henry play well. Happy for Ernest Jackson. Happy for Tommie Draheim.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I wonder if Wally even watched the game. If he did he would have found out that his "Here is what we do, try and stop us" doesn't work as well as a "First try to figure out what we are doing and by the time you do that we will have a big lead" game plan.

The surest path to success in playoffs and GC is to give the other team looks and formations that they haven't seen before or haven't seen since early in the season. Trying to confuse the opponent is not Wally's Way, but congrats to Rick Campbell for being a smart coach and figuring out how to beat Calgary.
David
Team Captain

Watched the first half at a full Shark Club on West Georgia near BC Place. Then the second half at my buddy's who has a home theatre system set up in his basement. Level of interest at Shark Club was tepid at best (at least in the first half before the drama mounted), even though one of the massive screens above the bar was showing the Grey Cup with the sound. The other massive screen was the Seahawks game (without sound). When that game ended, both large screens were showing the Grey Cup with the sound. :thup:

There were 4 people sitting in a booth near our table. 2 guys and 2 girls in their late 20s (the girls looked bored silly, lol). They all had NFL jerseys on and didn't pay the slightest interest to the Grey Cup. The were watching Oakland vs Carolina on a tiny screen and were cheering in that exaggerated way that one expects from people calling attention to themselves, as one guy had on a Panthers jersey and the other in an Raiders jersey. When they got up to leave, I called over, "hey, what part of the States are you guys from?" (I often ask this naively - just to wind up NFL worshipers, knowing damn well they're really just wannabees). "Um, we're actually from Vancouver" the Panther guy said sheepishly. "But I am a Lions fan" he added, "I just couldn't watch the game with them not in it" or some such bull crap. He said his friend, Raider guy, is the one who doesn't like the CFL.

One of the best games I've seen. Hard to watch Ernest Jackson dominate in a Redblacks uniform the way he has (we should have tried to lock him up when he was emerging before he became a FA). Very happy for the loyal fans of Ottawa (it's a really great town too. If you've never been, go!). They have executed an expansion blue print to a "T" to maximize fan engagement, from stadium to branding. Speaking of "execution"..... lol. Their coaches didn't game plan deep zone coverages to throw off Bo Levi did they? Weren't those 3 INTs all about masterful execution??

Wouldn't have minded seeing Calgary win it, if only for the memory of Mylan Hicks. It certainly appeared to me that they may have taken Ottawa a little bit lightly and had that entitled look of a team that merely had to "show up" to hoist the Cup. I don't ever recall seeing Bo look that rattled.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Dusty wrote:Mind you, I thought that Calgary was going to grab the win when they got that interception with a few minutes left, but they squandered that gift from Burris.
That last Burris interception was about 11 minutes left in the 4th quarter. True Stampeders went 2 and out on the subsequent drive but kudos to them by putting on 10 points with less than 2 minutes to tie the game.

That's unlike the Lions on a November 27 in 1983 and 1988. In 1983 the Argonauts took a one point lead with 2:44 minutes remaining. But the Lions only got to midfield and decided to punt on a 3rd down. When the Lions got the ball back there was only 1 second remaining. In 1988 after the Blue Bombers took a 3 point lead with 2:55 remaining the Lions had two possessions. The first one they drove to the 7 yard yard but committed a fatal interception. The Lions got one more possession while trailing by one point but this time couldn't get the ball to field goal range and committed a turnover on downs.
Dusty wrote:Just like the Marshawn Lynch non-call, I suspect a lot of folks in Calgary will be questioning why Jerome did not get the call at the 2 yard line.....
At least the Stampeders didn't commit a fatal turnover unlike the 1988 Lions or the Seahawks in Super Bowl XLIX, and managed to tie the game with a successful field goal.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Another topic not discussed was Calgary not taking the ball after the coin toss they won before overtime. . First in generally wins. Thnx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

David wrote:. When they got up to leave, I called over, "hey, what part of the States are you guys from?" (I often ask this naively - just to wind up NFL worshipers, knowing damn well they're really just wannabees). "Um, we're actually from Vancouver" the Panther guy said sheepishly. "But I am a Lions fan" he added, "I just couldn't watch the game with them not in it" or some such bull crap. He said his friend, Raider guy, is the one who doesn't like the CFL.
LOL. Nice trolling! :beer:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:It was almost Heidi Game in the USA as in the America, ESPN2 was telecasting it and with the score 33-30 Ottawa and Calgary just recovered onside kick.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ficulties/

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/watch-e ... vised.html
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
BC 1988
Legend

I watched the GC at home with my closest friend (who sometimes goes with me to Lions games). This was the 2nd year in a row after watching the '14 GC at Firefighters Club in Metrotown (which wasn't bad , they had it on their biggest screen, but of course there was a lot of NFL on the other screens. Getting 55" with surround at home makes that my preference now (even if I watch a game at the stadium, I'll usually re-watch the pvr).

As far as the game went, it was right up there among the most entertaining (pretty rare to see OT). Highlights for me were the look of frustration on BLM; CGY never had the lead, something they are unaccustomed to; I agree with BB that choosing to defend 1st in OT was a weird strategy.
CardiacKid
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:
David wrote:. When they got up to leave, I called over, "hey, what part of the States are you guys from?" (I often ask this naively - just to wind up NFL worshipers, knowing damn well they're really just wannabees). "Um, we're actually from Vancouver" the Panther guy said sheepishly. "But I am a Lions fan" he added, "I just couldn't watch the game with them not in it" or some such bull crap. He said his friend, Raider guy, is the one who doesn't like the CFL.
LOL. Nice trolling! :beer:
I met a fellow at Pearson on our way back from the game who had a decidedly glum expression. He was from BC and could see I was at the Grey Cup. He asked how was game to which I replied "it was a classic! Awesome! Etc....." I inadvertently rubbed salt in his wounds as he said he was on his way back from watching the Seahawks in Tampa "absolutely stink the joint out". He pretty much sounded like he wished he chose CFL instead of NFL.

Almost 24 hours later and I am still vibrating from the game. I can't add anything that hasn't already been said but I am already making plans for next year's Grey Cup in Ottawa, due in large part to the passion on display by the Ottawa fans. They truly wore their hearts on their sleeves and a huge portion of their numbers were young fans; the demographic that supposedly has given up on the CFL.

Great fun in the stands; we were sitting with former Lion and Ottawa native Andy Murray who brought his 1991 Grey Cup ring, we had a few officials around us who shared their knowledge and Calgary fans who kept it all in good humour.

If you are a football fan and weren't impressed, you don't have a pulse.
almo89
Legend

I really hope that Burris retires. It was the best game I've seen Burris play. He made some crazy throws on a rope last night. I just don't think he can do it again at 42 years old next year. I thought of the same thing when Damon Allen beat us in 2004. I didn't think he was going to be able to play at that level again and he stuck around for 2 more mediocre years.
Last edited by almo89 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Since the Grey Cup will be held in our nation's capital next year, I have a feeling that Burris will be back for one more year......assuming the RedBlacks want him back.
almo89
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Since the Grey Cup will be held in our nation's capital next year, I have a feeling that Burris will be back for one more year......assuming the RedBlacks want him back.
Wonder how Harris will be feel about that if that is the case. He's been the good teammate the whole year and saying all of the right things.