Jennings First 3 Games Establishes an Impressive Stat

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

To provide a perspective on Jonathan Jennings first 3 games of his pro career with our Leos, the Vancouver Sun notes Jennings first three games were the third most passing yardage for a quarterback for their first three starts.

Only Jeff Garcia in 1995 (1,210 yds) and Robin Tote in 1961 (1,158 yds) passed for more yards than Jennings in 2015 (1, 017 yds) in their first three starts.

Considering that Jennings is also in his rookie season as a pro with our Leos that is impressive.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Blitz wrote:To provide a perspective on Jonathan Jennings first 3 games of his pro career with our Leos, the Vancouver Sun notes Jennings first three games were the third most passing yardage for a quarterback for their first three starts.

Only Jeff Garcia in 1995 (1,210 yds) and Robin Tote in 1961 (1,158 yds) passed for more yards than Jennings in 2015 (1, 017 yds) in their first three starts.

Considering that Jennings is also in his rookie season as a pro with our Leos that is impressive.

VERY impressive, especially considering that his stats could have been a lot better had Cortez not played "shut down" with Jenning's options during a couple of the games. As you mentioned in another post, JJ can make EVERY throw, with zip and accuracy, plus can use his legs to make a play. He has the OLine, he has the RB, he has a decent receiving crew, no he just needs help from his OC and HC. Could you imagine Jennings under centre with a running game to support him? I think that you and most of us realized back in CGY during the 2nd half that JJ possessed that "certain something" that QBs need to be special. Again, he just needs a little help to become a lethal weapon in the CFL.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:Only Jeff Garcia in 1995 (1,210 yds) and Robin Tote in 1961 (1,158 yds) passed for more yards than Jennings in 2015 (1, 017 yds) in their first three starts.

I mentioned that stat in my preview in the Edmonton game-day thread. Jennings is a rookie but he has ignited the offence in a way that no other QB could. Arceneaux and Hawkins have become exciting, big-play receivers. Gore and Iannuzzi have made great catches on deep fade routes to the wide side. Not many QBs even attempt those passes.

Jennings still has a long way to go to read the blitz, run the zone read with Harris and become an effective scrambler but he is a leader that the team can build around, and he can become the face of the franchise and (hopefully) sell tickets
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Blitz wrote:To provide a perspective on Jonathan Jennings first 3 games of his pro career with our Leos, the Vancouver Sun notes Jennings first three games were the third most passing yardage for a quarterback for their first three starts.

I'm old enough to remember it was Tobin Rote that played for the Argos in 1961, a fading NFL star QB who could still sling the ball.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Blitz wrote:Only Jeff Garcia in 1995 (1,210 yds) and Robin Tote in 1961 (1,158 yds) passed for more yards than Jennings in 2015 (1, 017 yds) in their first three starts.

I mentioned that stat in my preview in the Edmonton game-day thread. Jennings is a rookie but he has ignited the offence in a way that no other QB could. Arceneaux and Hawkins have become exciting, big-play receivers. Gore and Iannuzzi have made great catches on deep fade routes to the wide side. Not many QBs even attempt those passes.

Jennings still has a long way to go to read the blitz, run the zone read with Harris and become an effective scrambler but he is a leader that the team can build around, and he can become the face of the franchise and (hopefully) sell tickets

If he is given the help required to combat the blitz, then he will. Exciting football sells tickets, even more so than just "winning". Fans want to be entertained, and Jennings can make coming to Lion's football games a fun thing to do once again, but not if he's going to be asked to "stand alone" in the spread offence. If the COACHES don't change their "weary and worn" system, then JJ will simply become another in a long line of skilled but battered QBs that had to retire from the game far too early! You know Wally, "that's why I've got three more in the cupboard"...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Just think, a year ago he was working in the warehouse while trying to resurrect his football career. Don't you think the Riders regret the day they cut him
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Just think, a year ago he was working in the warehouse while trying to resurrect his football career. Don't you think the Riders regret the day they cut him
wouldn't it be nice if he turned into the cfl version of kurt warner
Every day that passes is one you can't get back