Lions @ Eskimos -- Blog, Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Another issue that was highlighted in our Leos loss to Edmonton was Leone missing his 6th convert in the last 12 attempts, missed a very makeable field goal that almost turned into disaster (80 yd. Edmonton return nullified by penalty). Leone shanked a 15 yd. attempt the last time we played Edmonton. Leone's field goal percentage this season is nothing to admire. He got off to a good start but has his struggles ever since.

Wally, going into this season, wanted Leone as his field goal kicker for 2015, even though he knew Leone had only kicked field goals in his last 7 games of his final season at university. Wally also knew that he had attempted to turn Duncan O'Mahoney, a punter with little field goal experience, into an instant field goal kicker with our Leos with very mixed and then unsuccessful results.

So, Buono brought McCallum to training camp and then cut him, hoping McCallum would retire, rather than come back to bite us in the ass. Nice treatmemnt of a veteran who had made such a contribution to our team - completely classless.

Buono has always favored the punting game over the field goal kicking aspect of football. But we could have dealt with things differently. We could have kept McCallum as our field goal kicker and had Leone punt this season while developing his football skills. That would have been more expensive but it could easily have been handled in a variety of ways. Leone could have been given some long field goal attempts.

We could also have gone with Fera and put Leone on the practice roster to develop his field goal kicking. Fera might have cost us 5 yards a punt but he is an experienced field goal kicker. 38% of all CFL football games this season have been decided by 4 points or less this season. With the addition of the 32 yard convert field goal kicking this season was even more important and field goal kicking has always been very important. Fera is no slouch - he kicked and punted for the Texas Longhorns in 2012 and 2013. He was a consensus All — American and a finalist for the Lou Groza Award, which is given to the best college kicker in the U.S.

But no, Wally was cheap as well as rolling the dice. The cost may be a playoff spot. That rips off Leos players and fans who deserve better. Leone may turn into a greatw field goal kicker but, considering his tremendous lack of experience at field goal kicking, either Leone/McCallum or Fera would have been better choices for this season while Leone worked on his field goal under the coaching of Don Sweet.
Growing pains come at a price for the Lions
Lions prepared to stick with rookie kicker Richie Leone, despite erratic performances
By Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun October 18, 2015

B.C. Lions kicker Richie Leone missed his sixth convert in the past 12 attempts and was wide on a makable field goal that nearly turned into disaster as Edmonton’s Kendial Lawrence returned the missed field goal 80 yards, only to have the play called back because of a penalty in a 26-23 overtime loss to the Eskimos on Saturday.

EDMONTON — When the B.C. Lions dumped Old Reliable, Paul McCallum, in training camp this year, the ungracious treatment of a fan favourite did not sit well with many in the team’s constituency.Yet, mesmerized by the power and promise of 23-year-old Richie Leone, the Lions deemed McCallum, 45, expendable in a bold and risky decision to add kicking duties to Leone’s certified talent as a punter.

From the start, GM Wally Buono and head coach Jeff Tedford looked like the smartest men in the room. Leone, who had never kicked field goals for a full season, was purrfect through his first five games — converting all 12 attempts. One of those was a monster 56-yard kick against the Saskatchewan Roughriders in B.C.‘s home opener on July 10. The pressure field goal — the longest in Lions’ history — tied the game with 15 seconds left, a game the Lions eventually won, 35-32 in overtime.

Still, most coaches will take consistency over almost anything else in a kicker. While Leone is a super talent, he is going through the growing pains that have afflicted young kickers through the ages, as if a mandated rite of passage.

“It’s tough, when you’re not used to playing so many games in a year,” said Sean Whyte, the Eskimos’ veteran kicker. “You start to feel the eyes on you. There’s more pressure. It’s not like in university where, if you miss, you still get to play the next week. Here, if you miss, you might not have a job. It’s a different kind of pressure. Once you start to miss, it gets in your head. You’re thinking, ‘Don’t screw up.’ For me, when I miss now, I know what I did wrong. I don’t have any negative thoughts in my mind.”

Whyte, now in his seventh CFL season, booted six field goals, including two in overtime, as the Eskimos defeated the Lions 26-23 at Commonwealth Stadium, another “gut wrenching” defeat (Tedford’s words) partly paid at de feet of Leone. The rookie Leone missed his sixth convert in the past 12 attempts and was wide on a makable field goal that nearly turned into disaster. Edmonton’s Kendial Lawrence returned the missed field goal 80 yards, only to have the play called back because of a penalty.

After his early season roll, placements have turned into something of an adventure for Leone. In B.C’s previous visit to Edmonton, on Sept. 26, he missed an easy 15-yard field goal attempt and shanked a punt, leading to the Eskimos’ winning touchdown.

But Tedford said he’s not prepared to activate Anthony Fera, an import kicker on the Lions’ practice roster. Fera kicked and punted for the Texas Longhorns in 2012 and 2013. He was a consensus All — American and a finalist for the Lou Groza Award, which is given to the best college kicker in the U.S.

No will ever be able to compute just how much a team’s success and momentum is derived from a confident kicker, but there’s no doubt that kickers are difference-makers. Going into Week 17 of the 2015 season, 38 per cent of CFL games had been decided by four points or less, a record. A reliable kicker such as Whyte — he has been successful on 90 per cent of his field goals since he joined the Esks on Sept. 4 — has a statistical as well as mystical worth.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Blitz wrote:Another issue that was highlighted in our Leos loss to Edmonton was Leone missing his 6th convert in the last 12 attempts, missed a very makeable field goal that almost turned into disaster (80 yd. Edmonton return nullified by penalty). Leone shanked a 15 yd. attempt the last time we played Edmonton. Leone's field goal percentage this season is nothing to admire. He got off to a good start but has his struggles ever since.

Wally, going into this season, wanted Leone as his field goal kicker for 2015, even though he knew Leone had only kicked field goals in his last 7 games of his final season at university. Wally also knew that he had attempted to turn Duncan O'Mahoney, a punter with little field goal experience, into an instant field goal kicker with our Leos with very mixed and then unsuccessful results.

So, Buono brought McCallum to training camp and then cut him, hoping McCallum would retire, rather than come back to bite us in the ass. Nice treatmemnt of a veteran who had made such a contribution to our team - completely classless.

Buono has always favored the punting game over the field goal kicking aspect of football. But we could have dealt with things differently. We could have kept McCallum as our field goal kicker and had Leone punt this season while developing his football skills. That would have been more expensive but it could easily have been handled in a variety of ways. Leone could have been given some long field goal attempts.

We could also have gone with Fera and put Leone on the practice roster to develop his field goal kicking. Fera might have cost us 5 yards a punt but he is an experienced field goal kicker. 38% of all CFL football games this season have been decided by 4 points or less this season. With the addition of the 32 yard convert field goal kicking this season was even more important and field goal kicking has always been very important. Fera is no slouch - he kicked and punted for the Texas Longhorns in 2012 and 2013. He was a consensus All — American and a finalist for the Lou Groza Award, which is given to the best college kicker in the U.S.

But no, Wally was cheap as well as rolling the dice. The cost may be a playoff spot. That rips off Leos players and fans who deserve better. Leone may turn into a greatw field goal kicker but, considering his tremendous lack of experience at field goal kicking, either Leone/McCallum or Fera would have been better choices for this season while Leone worked on his field goal under the coaching of Don Sweet.
Growing pains come at a price for the Lions
Lions prepared to stick with rookie kicker Richie Leone, despite erratic performances
By Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun October 18, 2015

B.C. Lions kicker Richie Leone missed his sixth convert in the past 12 attempts and was wide on a makable field goal that nearly turned into disaster as Edmonton’s Kendial Lawrence returned the missed field goal 80 yards, only to have the play called back because of a penalty in a 26-23 overtime loss to the Eskimos on Saturday.

EDMONTON — When the B.C. Lions dumped Old Reliable, Paul McCallum, in training camp this year, the ungracious treatment of a fan favourite did not sit well with many in the team’s constituency.Yet, mesmerized by the power and promise of 23-year-old Richie Leone, the Lions deemed McCallum, 45, expendable in a bold and risky decision to add kicking duties to Leone’s certified talent as a punter.

From the start, GM Wally Buono and head coach Jeff Tedford looked like the smartest men in the room. Leone, who had never kicked field goals for a full season, was purrfect through his first five games — converting all 12 attempts. One of those was a monster 56-yard kick against the Saskatchewan Roughriders in B.C.‘s home opener on July 10. The pressure field goal — the longest in Lions’ history — tied the game with 15 seconds left, a game the Lions eventually won, 35-32 in overtime.

Still, most coaches will take consistency over almost anything else in a kicker. While Leone is a super talent, he is going through the growing pains that have afflicted young kickers through the ages, as if a mandated rite of passage.

“It’s tough, when you’re not used to playing so many games in a year,” said Sean Whyte, the Eskimos’ veteran kicker. “You start to feel the eyes on you. There’s more pressure. It’s not like in university where, if you miss, you still get to play the next week. Here, if you miss, you might not have a job. It’s a different kind of pressure. Once you start to miss, it gets in your head. You’re thinking, ‘Don’t screw up.’ For me, when I miss now, I know what I did wrong. I don’t have any negative thoughts in my mind.”

Whyte, now in his seventh CFL season, booted six field goals, including two in overtime, as the Eskimos defeated the Lions 26-23 at Commonwealth Stadium, another “gut wrenching” defeat (Tedford’s words) partly paid at de feet of Leone. The rookie Leone missed his sixth convert in the past 12 attempts and was wide on a makable field goal that nearly turned into disaster. Edmonton’s Kendial Lawrence returned the missed field goal 80 yards, only to have the play called back because of a penalty.

After his early season roll, placements have turned into something of an adventure for Leone. In B.C’s previous visit to Edmonton, on Sept. 26, he missed an easy 15-yard field goal attempt and shanked a punt, leading to the Eskimos’ winning touchdown.

But Tedford said he’s not prepared to activate Anthony Fera, an import kicker on the Lions’ practice roster. Fera kicked and punted for the Texas Longhorns in 2012 and 2013. He was a consensus All — American and a finalist for the Lou Groza Award, which is given to the best college kicker in the U.S.

No will ever be able to compute just how much a team’s success and momentum is derived from a confident kicker, but there’s no doubt that kickers are difference-makers. Going into Week 17 of the 2015 season, 38 per cent of CFL games had been decided by four points or less, a record. A reliable kicker such as Whyte — he has been successful on 90 per cent of his field goals since he joined the Esks on Sept. 4 — has a statistical as well as mystical worth.

Excellent post Blitz, thanks, I agree completely. Fera was a two time all american in NCAA football and has had all season to improve on his punting. It would be the smarter move right now, and as Beamish stated, with games so tight this season, EVERY POINT makes a difference, as the EDM game proved. And I also wanted to add to what you said about Harris, I too don't like when Harris calls out anyone or anything...its not how you or I played the game, and I wish that Andrew would just bite his lip and let his play do the talking for him.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

DanoT wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:Excellent comments guys. I would like to make a few comments about Harris...first, I don't think that he is merely a good RB, I think that he is a GREAT RB and that ONE season in a unpredictable offence and Harris will show the entire league just how good he is (2,000 + yards from the LOS). I watched the Vikings game on Sunday vs. KC, and KC knew that on the road with their injuries the only chance they had to win was to shut down Adrian Peterson (my favorite football player). So KC zone blitzed the LOS every time on 1st and 2nd downs to take AD out of the game, and it worked. Peterson rushed 26 times for 60 yards. Why? Because no matter how good you are as a RB you simply cannot pile up the yardage by never being able to run cleanly through a hole. Great backs will always break at least one, but you have to give them a chance. Peterson was given 26 chances vs. KC, Harris was given SIX! Certainly its a different game, but in autumn in Canada, if you can't run the football, you're not going to win games! Harris also had only ONE reception to go along with his 6 carries. On the road in EDM, with a lead, and we ran the football NINE times, 2 of which were QB scrambles! If that doesn't DEFINE STUPID then nothing does!

The Lions have the talent right now to win a GC, this season, if they could only generate a little momentum and thus confidence, but that simply rarely happens with our coaching. If its not a defence that allows the opposition to regularly have 8-12 play drives (sucking the focus and interest out of the Offence), or Special Teams that commit turnovers and are regularly fooled by fakes, its a predictable offence. Until the COACHING of this football team drastically changes NOTHING will improve here, and if Wally continues to lose out on FAs, conduct horrible drafts, and not add key INT personnel until the mid point of the season, then things will only get WORSE, not better.

I want the best for Andrew Harris, and I don't believe one iota that's in BC. As I said before, I would to see Kent Austin build an offence around him in HAM.

Honestly Dano, as you say the "proof is in the pudding" as a return of this coaching staff doing the same things will see the lowest season ticket base in recent history. Fans are tired of a "vanilla" Lion's staff that is getting out coached each game.

^Great post MLF. I have spent most of my life living in BC as a Lions fan but grew up in Hamilton in the 50s and 60s as a Tiger-Cat fan with my dad having season tickets. So the TiCats are my second favourite team and I would love to see Harris end up there. I hope he stays in BC but if Cortez remains OC in 2016 then the boring, predictable, empty backfield spread offense with little or no running game will likely remain. Just watch the fan base dwindle without Harris on the roster. Pretty scary stuff but Wally's stubbornness and ego are also scary. :bang:

Albert Einstein
pennw
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:Excellent comments guys. I would like to make a few comments about Harris...first, I don't think that he is merely a good RB, I think that he is a GREAT RB and that ONE season in a unpredictable offence and Harris will show the entire league just how good he is (2,000 + yards from the LOS). I watched the Vikings game on Sunday vs. KC, and KC knew that on the road with their injuries the only chance they had to win was to shut down Adrian Peterson (my favorite football player). So KC zone blitzed the LOS every time on 1st and 2nd downs to take AD out of the game, and it worked. Peterson rushed 26 times for 60 yards. Why? Because no matter how good you are as a RB you simply cannot pile up the yardage by never being able to run cleanly through a hole. Great backs will always break at least one, but you have to give them a chance. Peterson was given 26 chances vs. KC, Harris was given SIX! Certainly its a different game, but in autumn in Canada, if you can't run the football, you're not going to win games! Harris also had only ONE reception to go along with his 6 carries. On the road in EDM, with a lead, and we ran the football NINE times, 2 of which were QB scrambles! If that doesn't DEFINE STUPID then nothing does!

The Lions have the talent right now to win a GC, this season, if they could only generate a little momentum and thus confidence, but that simply rarely happens with our coaching. If its not a defence that allows the opposition to regularly have 8-12 play drives (sucking the focus and interest out of the Offence), or Special Teams that commit turnovers and are regularly fooled by fakes, its a predictable offence. Until the COACHING of this football team drastically changes NOTHING will improve here, and if Wally continues to lose out on FAs, conduct horrible drafts, and not add key INT personnel until the mid point of the season, then things will only get WORSE, not better.

I want the best for Andrew Harris, and I don't believe one iota that's in BC. As I said before, I would to see Kent Austin build an offence around him in HAM.
Comparing NFL to CFL is an apples to oranges comparison in regards to the use of the run game on account of the it being 4 downs vs 3 .i In the NFL , they can afford to go with more run attempts when they are being stuffed because they stil have two more shots if they do get stuffed . They only need to average 3.34 yards per carry to get first downs , whereas Cfl teams need to get 5 yards per , for the same result . Last game most of Harris' 6 runs were for negative yardage and only got a total of 2 yards on those 6 carries . One of those carries went for a whole 3 yards to get the average into the black . After each run attempt they were left in second and 11 to 12 , the same as getting sacked that many times .Would they have got way more if they had gone to Harris 12 more times in that game ? Or just more 2and outs ? If you do get way more 2and outs you get less opportunities for more attempts .It would have been nice to see Harris have a great game , but he also has to produce as does the Oline blocking and this is not a Dorazio coached Oline anymore . A team can't afford to keep taking those shots if they all get stuffed , mostly for losses . This last game wasn't lost because BC had no run game , they were in the lead right up to the end after all . They played Edmonton right to the wire and the Esks are the top team , with the Number one defence . How did that happen if our offence was that bad ? They were stuffing our run game with a great defence , so what was BC to do , just will it to happen ? Try 12 more times and maybe have that many more 2 and outs ?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

pennw wrote:

Comparing NFL to CFL is an apples to oranges comparison in regards to the use of the run game on account of the it being 4 downs vs 3 .i In the NFL , they can afford to go with more run attempts when they are being stuffed because they stil have two more shots if they do get stuffed . They only need to average 3.34 yards per carry to get first downs , whereas Cfl teams need to get 5 yards per , for the same result . Last game most of Harris' 6 runs were for negative yardage and only got a total of 2 yards on those 6 carries . One of those carries went for a whole 3 yards to get the average into the black . After each run attempt they were left in second and 11 to 12 , the same as getting sacked that many times .Would they have got way more if they had gone to Harris 12 more times in that game ? Or just more 2and outs ? If you do get way more 2and outs you get less opportunities for more attempts .It would have been nice to see Harris have a great game , but he also has to produce as does the Oline blocking and this is not a Dorazio coached Oline anymore . A team can't afford to keep taking those shots if they all get stuffed , mostly for losses . This last game wasn't lost because BC had no run game , they were in the lead right up to the end after all . They played Edmonton right to the wire and the Esks are the top team , with the Number one defence . How did that happen if our offence was that bad ? They were stuffing our run game with a great defence , so what was BC to do , just will it to happen ? Try 12 more times and maybe have that many more 2 and outs ?

If the run game is not working between the tackles because the Esks are stacking the box, then the Lions should be trying to run to the perimeter, screen passes to Harris, shovel passes- they did it once I think, use motion and misdirection, move the pocket and roll out the QB who can then throw a short pass to Harris.

One way or another the Lions, if they expect to win games, MUST get the ball into the hands of their best player.
Blitz
Team Captain

MLF
I hope Harris stays in BC but if Cortez remains OC in 2016 then the boring, predictable, empty backfield spread offense with little or no running game will likely remain. Just watch the fan base dwindle without Harris on the roster. Pretty scary stuff but Wally's stubbornness and ego are also scary.
DanoT
If the run game is not working between the tackles because the Esks are stacking the box, then the Lions should be trying to run to the perimeter, screen passes to Harris, shovel passes- they did it once I think, use motion and misdirection, move the pocket and roll out the QB who can then throw a short pass to Harris.

One way or another the Lions, if they expect to win games, MUST get the ball into the hands of their best player.

DanoT
Last game most of Harris' 6 runs were for negative yardage and only got a total of 2 yards on those 6 carries . One of those carries went for a whole 3 yards to get the average into the black . After each run attempt they were left in second and 11 to 12 , the same as getting sacked that many times .Would they have got way more if they had gone to Harris 12 more times in that game ? Or just more 2and outs ? If you do get way more 2and outs you get less opportunities for more attempts .It would have been nice to see Harris have a great game , but he also has to produce as does the Oline blocking and this is not a Dorazio coached Oline anymore . A team can't afford to keep taking those shots if they all get stuffed , mostly for losses . This last game wasn't lost because BC had no run game , they were in the lead right up to the end after all . They played Edmonton right to the wire and the Esks are the top team , with the Number one defence.
pennw
The topic of our running attack has been a long standing one. Over the years we've seen it be excellent at times (for example, we led the CFL in rushing in 2007, with a run focused offence, averaged over 200 yards per game running the football over a number of games, including the semi-final playoff game against the Riders, in 2013, with both Harris and Logan rotating in the backfield. In our 2012 season, using JaquesBall we led the CFL in rushing yards.

We've had many games in which we have rushed the football very well over the years and we've had many games in which our running attack has been completely stuffed. That dichotomy, either from season to season or game to game is frustrating as well as confusing to some fans, for good reasons.

But it shouldn't be. The ability for our Leos to run the football successfully or very unsuccessfully has depended mainly on two things - how we are being defended and how we are attacking a defense. It mostly has come down to strategy rather than talent.

The spread offence, which our Leos team has mostly used since 2005 (exceptions -2007, 2011/2012, and part of 2013) makes it more challenging to run the football. With only 5 blockers and one running back, spread offences are mostly stuck running the football between the tackles unless they are innovative. Defenses knew and still know that. Its why defenses adapted and went with big powerful defensive tackles, for example.

The spread offence orginated at the U.S. college level as an attempt for lesser football programs to counter the big U.S. colleges who could draft blue chip lineman and great running backs and therefore have dominant running games. The spread meant that those colleges who could not recruit as well didn't need stud lineman and a dominant running back. Instead they spread the offence out, went pass first,and threw quickly from the pocket. For stupid reasons, the college teams that didn't need to do that began implementing the spread offence too. The spread offence 'spread' to the CFL, with Hufnagel adapting it to the CFL game in Calgary and NFL offences began using it too as the West Coast and the Pro Offence took a back seat.

However, as with many offensive systems that become popular, defenses become familiar, adapt their personnel and develop strategies to shut the offensive system down.

Right now, in the NFL, there is no one offensive system that is "in". Most teamsl led initially by New England, are using multiple formations and have integrated the West Coast, the spread, and the Pro offence into an offensive philosophy. The tight end has returned, teams use fullbacks and they also use the spread on certain passing downs at times. They go shotgun, pistol, and the quarterback takes the snap under center.

However, CFL offenses are still stuck in the shot gun snap, except for quarterback sneaks. Why don't CFL offences (quarterbacks) take a direct snap under center and still hand off or even pass in short goal line situations? We're still stuck in a certain mindset.

The CFL, due to the wider field and a lack of innovation, stayed with the spread for a longer period of time. But CFL offenses began to run the football again. Hufnagel began to use the running game more often in Calgary. Offenses began using more tight end sets. They introduced the fly sweep to get outside with the running attack. They also rotated in a speed back to get outside with the run. Quarterbacks ran the zone read and took off outside when a defensive end crashed down. They got away from zone blocking all the time and began to pull lineman again and began to use different blocking schemes.

Chapdelaine, part way through 2011, was the first CFL offensive coordinator to really go multi-dimensional. He used a lot of single and double tight end sets part way through that season as well as a lot of motion and misdirection. In 2012, we led the CFL in rushing, first downs, and total offence. He still used the spread but it was no longer our exclusive offence.

But defenses adapted again. They realized that they could stack the box to stop the run on first down and use run blitzes that could serve as pass blitzes if we passed on first down. They also realized that our tight ends were not tight ends but were offensigve lineman or a slow fullback who would not be a threat if we passed. Therefore, if we went play action on first down, they had few receivers to cover in our tight end sets.

Defenses also realized that we most often went spread on second down. They blitzed like crazy (and do even more now) knowing that we had few anti-blitz strategies. Our only anti-blitz strategy, really, was to dump to Harris, so they spied him.

When Khari Jones took over, we struggled because we went back to the spread offence again. Cortez also went spread offence exclusively this season, even though we recruited tight ends but never used tight end formations. (Lately, he has begun to use tight end formations more often, now that we don't have any pure tight ends anymore - crazy|)

MLF is right - we have enough talent and with Jennings we have a quarterback who can make all the throws and only needs experience. We have a running back in Harris who not only is a National but is a dual threat tailback who can run and catch.

But what we lack is a system that can take advantage of what defenses are doing to us. The concept of having an HBack/Tight End system was brilliant and what was needed. It would have helped us run on first down, pass block on first down, and also play action, at times, to a tight end who could catch and also have to be accounted for by the defense.

A second Achilles heel has been our anti-blitz strategies. The best way to counter the spead offence is to blitz it. Having five or six recievers out on pass patterns is useless if your quarterback only has time to read one of them. Cortez wanted to burn blitzing defenses deep. Good strategy if you have the recievers to go deep and a quarterback who can make the deep throw but at that time we didn't.

Harris was spied and covered in the pass game. What we should have been doing was not only to have a receiver or two going deep but we needed to have recievers running shorter routes to take advantage of blitzing linebackers and defensive backs. We didn't. We started to keep Harris in more often to block, since he was spied, rather than using him more often to take a linebacker outside and then hitting a quick crosser underneath to a slot back in the area the linebacker vacated.

Running Harris inside, into a wall of defenders who have stacked the box, doesn't get it done. Using tight ends who are lineman doesn't work because they are not defended so the linebackers and defensive backs either blitz or over play our run. If our quarterback would run the zone read and keep it at times it would help. If we used more fly sweeps it would help. If we integrated a speed back into our backfield to attack the perimeter with speed it would help. If we ran the pitch toss more often and attacked the perimeter it would help. But attacking the perimeter against a defense who is stacking the inside and the outside against our run on first down is difficult, as pennw, points out.

What we need to do is to go play action on first down and be successful. The best way to do that would have been to go with single and double tights with at least one pure tight end and fullback who can play tight end and be a receiving threat. But even without that, we need to be able to attack the defense with options of both short and deep on play action on first down.

That way we won't be facing second and 12 by running the football into a wall or into a blitzing defensive halfback. We could look for the deep ball first and then come underneath If he deep ball is not there. We could also screen on first down to Harris, which would allow us to block the spy.

We would have more second and short plays, which would help negate the blitz. If we are in second and longer, we need to attack defenses, knowing they are blitzing. That means layered routes, quick crossing patterns as well as deep balls, bubble screens (we did that with Rainey with success the game before on a quick crosser and a bubble screen and then never used him in that way against Edmonton).

A successful passing attack would eventually open up the run game as defenses would be forced to adjust and bring defenders out of the box.

Our offense is not designed to exploit how defenses are playing us. Run blitz and stack the box on first down, blitz on second down. We know what they are going to do and we coach as if we are surprised all the time. We run the football into stone walls and our passing game strategy is designed as if we are expecting a four man rush or we can throw deep successfully every time.

Our players take most of the heat for the losses and we are handicapping them. Harris is frustrated, our quarterbacks have to throw deep balls under incredible pressure, and our lineman are expected to run block or pass block more defenders than they can possibly take on. We are making some adjustments (eg: we used Hawkins on a quick crosser last game and exploited a blitzing linebacker but our changes happen at a glacier pace).

This is just not smart football.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
pennw
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Lately , that would be Emmanuel Arceneaux(other then Jennings) , who has moved into the upper echelon of receivers since Jennings has become the starter. Manny is currently in 4th in the league , was in 3rd spot the week before . He is neck and neck with the second and third place guys . Only the Rogers , in first , has a substantial lead . Before Jennings started Manny was not in the top 10 , but has pulled way out since . Harris was our top offensive threat earlier , when our QB's couldn't deliver the ball and certainly not deep . Did anyone prefer our earlier offence to what it is now? So they HAVE been getting the ball to their BEST player .
I'll stick by my comment that it wasn't our offence that cost us that game , but there was one dumb play call that IMO made the difference . Had that one gone different we probably would have won and this discussion wouldn't be happening . We were leading the best team before that one play, even with our running game not working .
The Esks are the best defence currently and to say we should have been able to run much better against them is not respecting how good they are IMO . This is the Team that has beat the Stamps their last two games in a row. The fact we could do as well against them says something positive about our team , not the other way around . Had they simply handed the ball to Harris 12 more times than they did , would have made it a lopsided loss for us . Against a very good team , sometimes you have to take what they give you , and they were not giving us the run. So on that front I would credit our coaches for making us competitive against the Esks , we did better then the Hufnagel /Dickenson coached Stamps did against them . When our arm chair coaches prove they their abilities by coaching a CFL team and winning , I'll believe they are better than our current coaches .
DanoT
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
DanoT wrote:
Lately , that would be Emmanuel Arceneaux(other then Jennings) , who has moved into the upper echelon of receivers since Jennings has become the starter. Manny is currently in 4th in the league , was in 3rd spot the week before . He is neck and neck with the second and third place guys . Only the Rogers , in first , has a substantial lead . Before Jennings started Manny was not in the top 10 , but has pulled way out since . Harris was our top offensive threat earlier , when our QB's couldn't deliver the ball and certainly not deep . Did anyone prefer our earlier offence to what it is now? So they HAVE been getting the ball to their BEST player .
I'll stick by my comment that it wasn't our offence that cost us that game , but there was one dumb play call that IMO made the difference . Had that one gone different we probably would have won and this discussion wouldn't be happening . We were leading the best team before that one play, even with our running game not working .
The Esks are the best defence currently and to say we should have been able to run much better against them is not respecting how good they are IMO . This is the Team that has beat the Stamps their last two games in a row. The fact we could do as well against them says something positive about our team , not the other way around . Had they simply handed the ball to Harris 12 more times than they did , would have made it a lopsided loss for us . Against a very good team , sometimes you have to take what they give you , and they were not giving us the run. So on that front I would credit our coaches for making us competitive against the Esks , we did better then the Hufnagel /Dickenson coached Stamps did against them . When our arm chair coaches prove they their abilities by coaching a CFL team and winning , I'll believe they are better than our current coaches .

Long bombs to Arceneaux are great but a strong running game is essential to control the pace of the game and set up the pass.

The problem with the Lions run game is that all they know is run the ball with Harris between the tackles, right into the arms or Orland Sewell who no one on the Lions O line seems capable of moving out of the way. Vary the running plays off tackle, sweeps, move the pocket, use motion in the backfield, screen passes, try fooling or confusing the D etc, but get the ball into Harris' hands and the Lions will start to win games. Of course special teams need to play better as does the D if anymore games this year are to be victories.
pennw
Legend

Actually Harris was caught behind the line of scrimmage before he was even trying to move through any gaps on most of his attempts . And on some he was running laterally like he was going try for the outside but was caught each time before he got any where , so I don't see it as trying to run in between the tackles each time . How would you expect a different result from trying the same thing many more times ? The fact still remains our offence was keeping us in the lead upto that one play call most of us seem to agree , was very bad , at the goal line , that gave the Esks the break they needed to be able to tie the game .
We had games earlier where BC did keep trying to hammer Harris through too many times that were all getting stuffed and our offence was way worse .If our passing game is clicking and our run game is being stuffed why would you want to try forcing what is not working ? We got a difference of opinion on this Dano . I would like to see Harris have a great game as much as anyone , but if a great defence isn't allowing it , you are suggesting forcing it any way ? Why would you not keep doing what is already working ? We haven't had a dud offensive game since Jennings has been our starter .
Blitz
Team Captain

Interesting that while Foster and McGhee both try to take the blame for the muffed quarterback snap that was the key play to our loss against Edmonton the following points, which are contained in the article below illustrate why McGhee should not have been the quarterback in the game at that point:

1) McGhee had not played a down in that game and it was a crucial point late in the game and a crucial game in our season as we fight for a playoff spot

2. McGhee has had very little game experience with the quarterback sneak

3. We tipped off the play not only by sending in McGhee but going empty backfield on the play. Edmonton disrupted the play and went offside on the play before the fumble to attempt to rattle the rookie.

4.. McGhee takes most of his practice snaps from Cam Thorn and not Foster

5. McGhee is left handed to boot, which adds to the unfamiliarity

6. It was first down again and not necessary to have McGhee in the game at that point of the goal line series.

7.. The Eskimos used Reilly for their quarterback sneaks in the game and it was less of an important game to them that to us.

To me, I thought it was a bad coaching decision by either Cortez or Tedford with a playoff spot on the line to have McGhee in the game with that specific play on first down at that time in the game and this crucial point in the season. With the additional knowledge of the lack of practice McGhee had with Foster, it is an even worse coaching decision.
Goater’ takes rap for bad Lions snap

QB McGhee admits mistake, but there is lots of blame to go around

By Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun October 20, 2015

The backward, underhand, between-the-legs handoff from the centre to the quarterback is the most elementary move in football.

It’s called the snap, but it’s anything but, as the B.C. Lions demonstrated to their horror in the fourth quarter of Saturday’s game in Edmonton.

Centre Jason Foster — who spends so much time with another man’s hands on his buttocks that he can identify the quarterback blind-folded, just by the feel — realized his greatest fear on an exchange with backup QB Greg McGhee.

Scrimmaging from the Edmonton one-yard line, the Lions simply had to punch the ball into the end zone to take an eight-point lead — possibly nine, with the convert — that might have iced a winning result against the first-place Eskimos.

Bending down, Foster rotated the ball so he could place his right thumb over the laces, let the rest of his right hand fall naturally into place, and then … disaster.

McGhee never got control of the snap, fumbled the exchange and the football bounced into the end zone, where it was recovered and returned 34 yards by the Eskimos’ Deon Lacey. Edmonton eventually went on to win 26-23 in overtime.

“The ball came out a little funky on the snap,” Foster confessed Tuesday, after the Lions returned to the practice field and later discussed the game-turning play. “I’ll put the blame on me. I was cocked too forward to make my block and I muffed the snap.”

As noble as it is for Foster to take the rap, McGhee, whose nickname just happens to be “Goater,” insists he should be made the scapegoat.

“As much as he (Foster) said that, I honestly think it’s my fault,” McGhee admitted. “I didn’t get the ball properly. I didn’t fix my hands the way they were supposed to be fixed. It just has to happen. The ball hit my hand, and I have to catch it.”

Coach Jeff Tedford was deemed just as culpable by many Lions fans for sending McGhee into the game in the first place. It was the only instance against Edmonton where the rookie quarterback got to (mis) handle the ball. Jon Jennings was behind centre for the other 45 offensive plays.

“It doesn’t really concern me getting hurt on a sneak. We can get injured at any time,” Jennings said.

That’s precisely the reason, though, why Jennings was removed temporarily so that McGhee could take the brunt of the defensive push at the goal-line, Tedford explained.

“You take the hits off your (starting) quarterback by doing that,” Tedford said. “It’s like earlier in the year, when Travis (Lulay) was starting, Jennings was running the quarterback sneaks. It’s something that Greg had practised all week long and has done so for the past few weeks.”

The thing is, McGhee, who works with the scout team, usually takes the bulk of his snaps during the practice week from Cam Thorn, the backup centre, not Foster. The evidence might suggest there was a tad of unfamiliarity at play at here. Complicating matters further is that McGhee is left-handed; Jennings’ dominant hand, is his right.

“One hundred per cent. It’s not something we can do in our sleep,” Foster said. “But it’s your livelihood, your job. You gotta do things sometimes that are against your job … and adjust to different styles. This is one of the styles I have to adjust to. It’s my fault.”

The injury issue aside, would it not limit the possibility of bad exchanges to have the starting quarterback take snaps on all plays, including short yardage as is done in NCAA football and the NFL? Jennings took every one at Saginaw Valley State. But that’s not the way in the CFL.

“I guess you could say it’s safer (to have him take the snaps) because I’m more in rhythm, just by being in the game,” Jennings said. “It’s (short-yardage quarterback) just kind of something that is done in the CFL.”

“Here in the CFL game, when you use the shotgun (formation) 99 per cent of the time, you don’t get the under-the-centre reps that you do in other leagues,” says R.J. Archer, the Lions’ fourth quarterback. “That’s some of the reasons (for fumbles). There’s just not as much familiarity with it. But a quarterback sneak is not a normal play. When a team knows you’re going to try and sneak the ball, they start piling everybody in there. The centre has two huge guys in front of him, the quarterback’s thinking about pushing forward as quick as he can, there’s a lot going on. There are a lot of little intricacies that make it tougher than a casual observer would see.”

Perhaps that’s why it’s called a quarterback sneak. It conceals all the things that can go wrong — and did, for the Lions.

DanoT
Hall of Famer

The disturbing thing about the McGhee play is that it is not an isolated one off poor coaching decision this year. Rather it is added to a growing list of very, very questionable decisions including Loh/Westerman playing out of position, the cutting of Logan and Brown with no proven replacement, reluctance to blitz and instead play soft prevent D in spite of talking about playing aggressive on D, H-Back Offense and up tempo Offense that was talked about but not implemented. And there are others including a bizarre inept draft.

Once this train wreck of a season is over both Wally and Tedford should go to a Dollar Store and purchase a mirror. :bang:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Here is a question. Travis is dressed for these games is he not? Why didn't they let him run the sneak?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:Here is a question. Travis is dressed for these games is he not? Why didn't they let him run the sneak?
I asked the exact same question on the Lions' post-game show. Makes total sense to me as Travis at least makes defenses pause to think, "could they possibly be passing in this situation.....maybe a fade route??" Whereas when McGhee comes on the field, it's QB sneak all the way. At least they should have tried to go on a quick count, maybe even run wildcat formation - ANYTHING to try and vary the look Edmonton was giving them!

LU agreed with me but offered that McGhee had been taking short yardage snaps all week at practice.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have been using a backup quarterback (often a third-stringer) to run QB sneaks for years. Jarious Jackson did it for years to spare Dave Dickenson and Buck Pierce from hits and because, frankly, he was good at it. Jennings did it as a rookie earlier in the year while Lulay started.

Many teams use their backups in short-yardage situations. Others leave their starters in. Whichever method they use, all teams except the Lions are successful in their short-yardage offence most of the time. Here are the success rates on 3rd and 1 gambles this year:

Edm 15/18 (83%)
Wpg 14/17 (82%
Sas 11/14 (79%)
Mtl 19/25 (76%)
Tor 9/12 (75%)
Ott 11/15 73%)
Cal 9/14 (64%)
Ham 5/8 (63%)
BC 4/10 (40%)

Having an inexperienced centre and QB may be part of the Lions' problem but I think the biggest issue is the play of the offensive line overall. They just don't get a good push. That's been the situation for many years with different O-line personnel and coaching.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:The Lions have been using a backup quarterback (often a third-stringer) to run QB sneaks for years. Jarious Jackson did it for years to spare Dave Dickenson and Buck Pierce from hits and because, frankly, he was good at it. Jennings did it as a rookie earlier in the year while Lulay started.

Many teams use their backups in short-yardage situations. Others leave their starters in. Whichever method they use, all teams except the Lions are successful in their short-yardage offence most of the time. Here are the success rates on 3rd and 1 gambles this year:

Edm 15/18 (83%)
Wpg 14/17 (82%
Sas 11/14 (79%)
Mtl 19/25 (76%)
Tor 9/12 (75%)
Ott 11/15 73%)
Cal 9/14 (64%)
Ham 5/8 (63%)
BC 4/10 (40%)

Having an inexperienced centre and QB may be part of the Lions' problem but I think the biggest issue is the play of the offensive line overall. They just don't get a good push. That's been the situation for many years with different O-line personnel and coaching.

I agree, it hasn't been since Murphy and Jimenez stood as outposts to Angus Reid that we have been able to control the LOS...its a problem. And ultimately, I don't care WHO runs the QB sneak, as long as they are good at it...being the teams 5th string QB in TC with no CFL experience doesn't suddenly make you ideal to run the play because all of a sudden you're the #2 guy out of desperation!!! Regardless of McGhee practising the play over the last few weeks, it does NOT accurately simulate going into EDM, during October, in the 4th quarter, with a crucial game on the line...and not practising the play WITH FOSTER as the Centre is just plain STUPID!

Albert Einstein