Messam to Stamps, Glenn to Als....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

There is some interesting stuff going on during trade day after all.....Messam to the Stamps for Tyler Crapigna and a draft pick, Glenn to the Als for a fifth round draft pick.

Wow, usually there isn't much to write about on trade deadline day.

The Glenn trade is not terribly surprising but the Messam one is....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Glenn moves on. As Yogi Berra said: "Deja vu all over again." Yes. Yes. Redundant.

Messam? Talented player. Has worn out his welcome with a few teams. But if Calgary wants him, they evidently feel his talent is worth the baggage that has oftentimes come along with that talent. He seemed to stay out of trouble in Regina, and played well. He could be a force with the Stampeders.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
CardiacKid
Legend

No idea where Messam is with his contract but I have a hard time envisioning how the Stamps could keep both him and Cornish happy and on the roster past this year. Wondering if he is a pending free agent and the Riders feel they can sign him back in 2016? He cleaned up his act apparently and Chapedelaine was still a fan even when he broke Paris Jackson's jaw. Getting a first round pick for him is decent but Tyler Crapigna couldn't unseat a shaky Rene Paredes....seems like a weak return on a guy with good numbers.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CALGARY -- The defending Grey Cup Champion Calgary Stampeders added some insurance to their offensive backfield, acquiring running back Jerome Messam and a fifth round pick from the Saskatchewan Roughriders in exchange for national kicker Tyler Crapigna and a third round pick.
The cost of the deal was not big for Calgary. Will he fit in? Does not seem like Huf's kind of player. Nor for Dickenson. But Cornish has had an issue or two also, but of a minor nature compared to Messam.

Aside from possible chemistry issues, this looks good for Calgary.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The Messam trade is a shocker as he has seemed to mature both on an off the field. He has become a better pass receiver, although not a great one. But what a load he is to tackle in the open field. Good for Messam as he will get playoff $ and possibly Grey Cup $.

I'm going to go over to Riderfans to see what they think of this development.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:The Messam trade is a shocker as he has seemed to mature both on an off the field. He has become a better pass receiver, although not a great one. But what a load he is to tackle in the open field. Good for Messam as he will get playoff $ and possibly Grey Cup $.

I'm going to go over to Riderfans to see what they think of this development.
Good idea, Dano. Just went to Riderfans.

Andrew has spoken out about coaching issues before. Wally seems to be playing hardball with him. Andrew can get a good contract next year from another team. I expect Andrew likes Vancouver. Not so sure he feels appreciated within the Lions' organization.

One of my all time favourite players. :thup:

MexicoLionFan
Legend

Neither players are the future in SSK, and with their season over, they are getting what they can for them...a good move by the Roughies. Their future answer is very different from Kevin Glenn. However, right now, for MTL it was a great addition. They are a playoff team with a decent QB and that's what Glenn is.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Even though Messam is currently the CFL's leading rusher he was somewhat under utilized by the pass happy Chapdelaine. Unfortunately the same thing can be said about Cortez under utilizing Harris the second leading rusher. :dizzy:

Now in Calgary the Stamps have solidified the Nat. RB position with the ability to spell off Cornish with Messam, use Messam instead of Cornish if he gets injured, or play both a the same time in the backfield and still have Walters as a 3rd Nat. option at RB. Now they don't need to dress a INT. at RB. I would say that the Stamps have just made a significant step toward improving their playoff and GC chances.
JohnHenry
Champion

Cornish has a sore neck and won't play in Hamilton this weekend versus the Argos, which may have hastened the Messam trade. Messam provides more offensive punch than Walters, so the trade makes sense for Calgary. Cornish and Messam would make a pretty awesome rushing attack if the Stamps decide to play the duo together, "Thunder & Ligh...More Thunder". :wink:
David
Team Captain

The Roughies dealt our playoff hopes a huge blow earlier today.

I've long maintained that Montreal is but a decent quarterback away from putting together a serious streak. Their defense is as tough as nails, their receiving corps is among the very best in the league, and Logan gives them instant field position. The problem was, until today, their quarterbacking sucked. It may take Glenn a couple of games to get up to speed but Montreal has the final piece of the puzzle. Okay, they're still missing a Head Coach. :wink: But I still think they can win in spite of Jim Popp and his massive ego.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
peeby
Starter

You know, I'm probably dead wrong, but I just don't buy the whole 'the guy's got QB experience so he's a good addition' routine that some people and some coaches espouse. Kevin Glenn stinks, good guy or not. Surely, Mtl could do better. Or rather, surely they should have done better. They knew Cavillo was getting on. That guy they used last year? Terrible. Tanner Marsh? Even worse. I'm wondering if CFL teams know anything about grooming a QB compared to how it was done in the old days when you had young backups who actually got some time on the field before the incumbent retired.

Messam to Stamps is a terrific deal. I don't think Messam was traded because they didn't like him in SK. He's 30 years old and a running back. He's got some mileage, but enough left to help the Stamps cope with continual Cornish injuries (another guy with some hard miles on him). It's short term for Calgary and long-term for SK. I thought I heard really good things about that place kicker, regardless of his not being able to beat out the guy currently kicking in Calgary. I think this year we're seeing more and more the value of a good kicking game and despite possible protests from Paul McCallum, Saskatchewan needs to get someone for next year.
maxlion
Legend

peeby wrote:You know, I'm probably dead wrong, but I just don't buy the whole 'the guy's got QB experience so he's a good addition' routine that some people and some coaches espouse. Kevin Glenn stinks, good guy or not. Surely, Mtl could do better. Or rather, surely they should have done better. They knew Cavillo was getting on. That guy they used last year? Terrible. Tanner Marsh? Even worse. I'm wondering if CFL teams know anything about grooming a QB compared to how it was done in the old days when you had young backups who actually got some time on the field before the incumbent retired.

Messam to Stamps is a terrific deal. I don't think Messam was traded because they didn't like him in SK. He's 30 years old and a running back. He's got some mileage, but enough left to help the Stamps cope with continual Cornish injuries (another guy with some hard miles on him). It's short term for Calgary and long-term for SK. I thought I heard really good things about that place kicker, regardless of his not being able to beat out the guy currently kicking in Calgary. I think this year we're seeing more and more the value of a good kicking game and despite possible protests from Paul McCallum, Saskatchewan needs to get someone for next year.
I agree on both counts. Maybe Glenn can be resuscitated for a few games in Mtl, but at this point I'd take most of the backups around the league over him. Plus an extension to be the starter next year too!?!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Glenn is a veteran QB who has played for a lot of teams but I don't know if there's enough time left in the season for him to get comfortable with Montreal's schemes and playbook and get his timing down with their receivers.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

When you have an SJ Green who can apparently catch most anything he can touch, Glenn may be ok for awhile. Let's not forget that we thought him good enough for use a scarce 2 season ago. As players go, he is the best that is available. You weren't going to drag Drew Tate out of Calgary unless the Als were willing to sell the farm. Who else is there? He is an upgrade over their current situation and gives them the best chance at this point. What did they give up? A 7th round pick I think. Why wouldn't they make that deal? What is the downside?

I like their chances better than our own at this point given the upcoming schedule we have.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:Glenn is a veteran QB who has played for a lot of teams but I don't know if there's enough time left in the season for him to get comfortable with Montreal's schemes and playbook and get his timing down with their receivers.

True, but that's still a better option than what MTL has.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein