What happened to Cord Parks

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

globespanner
Rookie

A year ago Wally Buono called Cord Parks a key signing when resigning him. Now a healthy scratch.

His play seemed to fall off in the second half of last year and now is nowhere to be found. Any insight here?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

globespanner wrote:A year ago Wally Buono called Cord Parks a key signing when resigning him. Now a healthy scratch.

His play seemed to fall off in the second half of last year and now is nowhere to be found. Any insight here?
No insight, but I agree that his play fell off last year and fell further this year. Parks has been overtaken by Steven Clarke. T.J. Lee and Ronnie Yell as starters. And the play of Chris Rwabukamba as an injury replacement on the corner and at halfback in recent weeks has allowed the Lions to avoid dressing a backup international DB. Parks is still on the 46-man roster and still seems to be engaged and supportive of his teammates on the sidelines during games. I suspect he's one injury away from getting back into the starting lineup.
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
globespanner wrote:A year ago Wally Buono called Cord Parks a key signing when resigning him. Now a healthy scratch.

No insight, but I agree that his play fell off last year and fell further this year. Parks has been overtaken by Steven Clarke. T.J. Lee and Ronnie Yell as starters. And the play of Chris Rwabukamba as an injury replacement on the corner and at halfback in recent weeks has allowed the Lions to avoid dressing a backup international DB. Parks is still on the 46-man roster and still seems to be engaged and supportive of his teammates on the sidelines during games. I suspect he's one injury away from getting back into the starting lineup.
Parks played very well in Stubler's defense...not so much so in Washington's defense. He was an aggressive corner for Stubler and had six interceptions in his rookie season under Stubler.

Last season Parks only had one interception in Washington's defense, where he was moved to the tough short side half position and he only has one this season as well, while being back at wide side corner. Is that the whole story? Who knows but he has not been the same player under Washington as he was in his first and rookie season playing in Stubler's defence.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Blitz wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:

Parks played very well in Stubler's defense...not so much so in Washington's defense. He was an aggressive corner for Stubler and had six interceptions in his rookie season under Stubler.

Last season Parks only had one interception in Washington's defense, where he was moved to the tough short side half position and he only has one this season as well, while being back at wide side corner. Is that the whole story? Who knows but he has not been the same player under Washington as he was in his first and rookie season playing in Stubler's defence.

I agree, he's been a different player under Washington.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
David
Team Captain

Cord Parks is not as big of a head scratcher to me as Matt Norman. I get that the club wanted to move on at center, and I know he injured a knee at camp, but I thought Norman would have been healthy enough by now to compete at guard, where we've had our struggles lately.

7 sacks last week on a mobile quarterback is atrocious.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
peeby
Starter

Also no particular insight re: Cord Parks, but when he first made the team he was playing the wide side cornerback position. He was so good that I thought he would simply go to the NFL after his contract ended. I'm pretty sure he had more NFL experience than many guys coming up here, or at least stayed on some NFL practice teams for longer periods. Plus, I thought I heard he was simply unlucky not to catch on. Can't recall if he was an all-star in his first year here, but probably should have been.

He was moved to an inside DB position the next year, and I thought he was very poor. I believe the coaches felt the same way. Since then, he's had some injuries, but was apparently going to be moved back to the more suitable wide CB position. What I gather is that this position is the lesser one in the defensive backfield. That is, the short-side CB and the 2 defensive half positions are more important, more difficult. Hope I've got that right. Basically, the Dante Marsh CB position was the more difficult CB position. As far as simply going back to the wide out CB position goes, Stephen Clarke looked pretty good in a couple different DB positions, basically beating out Cord Parks because he could move over to other DB positions if someone was injured in the game. I guess Cord Parks could do this, as well, but Stephen Clarke is ahead of him in the pecking order and a better prospect.

I'm pretty sure I'm right about the wide out CB being the 'easier' position. When a DB gets hurt and Parker or Rwambakamba comes in, they go right to that one position and everyone else shifts around.

Matt Norman? Angus Reid he ain't. I guess you look at how smart a guy is when you're thinking of taking a Canadian guard or tackle and making him a centre, and there's no doubt Norman's a pretty smart guy. However, there must be a lot more to picking the right guy to turn into a centre. Dean Valli couldn't do it (and I'm not going to say anything more on that), and I'd be very unhappy if they continued with Matt Norman once he's healthy again. He couldn't do the job. From what I've seen, that Thorn guy might be able to do it. Oddly enough, I think that Sorenson guy the LIons cut can actually play centre. Is he not with the Eskimos?

I'm kinda hoping the team hasn't 'ruined' Matt Norman in a sense, and that he's able to come back and compete at a guard position.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Dean Valli couldn't do it (and I'm not going to say anything more on that)
So, since when has not being able to do your job been a prerequisite to actually losing it?
peeby
Starter

Cromartie, you work for the govt like I did? Man, did I see some things. Dean Valli here, Dean Valli there, Dean Valli everywhere.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

While Parks seems to be out of the playing scene he's been involved on the sidelines in a coaching related role. At least I'm pretty sure it's him as I can't think who else it might be. A black fellow with long dreadlocks who is built like a DB has been there using placards to signal the defence for at least the last 2 games I was able to make, Ottawa and Saskatchewan. I presume he was doing the same for the Winnipeg game.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:While Parks seems to be out of the playing scene he's been involved on the sidelines in a coaching related role. At least I'm pretty sure it's him as I can't think who else it might be. A black fellow with long dreadlocks who is built like a DB has been there using placards to signal the defence for at least the last 2 games I was able to make, Ottawa and Saskatchewan. I presume he was doing the same for the Winnipeg game.
That's him. As I said, he's engaged and supportive on the sidelines and still seems to be in the team's plans.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:That's him. As I said, he's engaged and supportive on the sidelines and still seems to be in the team's plans.
Yup. Usually injured players hang out in the areas outside the designated bench area. They are either near the kicker's practice net or at the other end near the trainers' table. Parks has been right in the middle of the bench area helping Washington out. He seems to be anything but out of sight, out of mind with the organization.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

peeby wrote:Cromartie, you work for the govt like I did? Man, did I see some things. Dean Valli here, Dean Valli there, Dean Valli everywhere.
You don't need to be in government. Working for any large organization, public or private will do.
peeby
Starter

STUNNING UPDATE!!! Cord Parks injured to the tune of one game. Goes on injury list. Must have hurt himself doing all that sideline cheering.