Lions 35 - Riders 32 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

That was a fantastic finish. The Lions needed all three phases of the game to overcome a poor effort by the defence through the first 58 minutes. Some quick thoughts after getting home from the game before I watch it again on PVR.
1. The defensive line is terrible. The Riders could convert second and five or second and three all night on the ground, and the Lions got no pressure on Glenn for most of the night.
2. Poor red zone production almost cost the Lions another game. It's like Tedford had forgotten that the CFL end zone is 20 yards deep. The Lions finally used it for the first time on the two-point convert late in the fourth quarter and again on the winning TD pass in overtime.
3. Is this still a Mike Benevides-coached team? Despite Tedford's comments about needing better discipline, the defence continued to extend drives with needless penalties, including a couple of roughing the passer calls.
4. Andrew Harris answered his critics, including me, with the way he picked up 144 yards tonight on the ground and through the air. He moved the team almost singlehandedly on one drive late in the fourth quarter. He was much more decisive in his running and he picked up a lot of yards after contact.
5. The offensive line had a solid game and didn't give up a sack. I can't remember the last time that happened.
6. Travis Lulay also had a solid game and got better as the game went on. He finished 34 of 44 for 404 yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs. He's back.
7. Anyone still questioning the decision to keep Richie Leone over Paul McCallum? He was 5 for 5 on field goals, including a 56-yarder, averaged 63 yards on three kickoffs and 48.2 yards on six punts. He missed a 32-yard covert which could have helped the Lions win the game with his 56-yard field goal but I'll forgive him.
8. That was a great stop by the B.C. defence on third and short with a minute left. If the Riders got the first down, they would have run out the clock. But what was Corey Chamblin thinking by kicking the field goal in OT instead of gambling again on third and short? The Lions had all the momentum. Chamblin gave the game away.
CardiacKid
Legend

The first time my wife and I left a game early and this happens! I love it! But thank god for PVR.

This team really needed this win, probably more than any other 0-1 team in recent memory. And the fans need something to hang their hopes on...a loss like this could have wound up being, would have been a kick in the teeth.

Going to get the negatives out of the way....bonehead penalties across the board but in particular, ones by Johnson and Brooks. Speaking of Brooks, the D-Line is still a huge liability. And this even when they worked like hell but still got pushed around. The interior of the line is simply not physically equipped to deal with a good O-Line and a good run game like the Riders'. IMO a message has to be sent regarding the stupid penalties and so get rid of Brooks.

Positives....Lulay is at the top of the list without a doubt. Great distribution across his receivers and the intangibles he brings to the team. The O-Line stepped it up...maybe we need Farhan Lalji to spank the D-line via twitter next. Sol E. and Biggie hit the field hard right at the start and played like they were ready to lift the entire team on their shoulders.

Game day experience...I was skeptical of the hanging tarps and closing down the upper bowl; kind of like trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. But it did make what was truthfully, a poorly attended game in context (home opener and the Riders) into something seemingly more positive. But the place did get noisy and cause a couple of back to back penalties by the Riders. Love the addition of the drum line! Now kick it up a notch and get a marching band like the Sounders! The job of on-field announcer needs to be handled by an on-air personality...no offence intended for the woman currently doing it but she is obviously not well versed in public speaking.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I experienced the whole gamut of emotion tonight from frustration at the inability to convert in the Red Zone, stupid penalties, inability to stop the run when everyone in the stadium knew what the Riders were going to do to utter elation and jubiliation at the field goal by Leonie and the winning touchdown by Arceneaux.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:The job of on-field announcer needs to be handled by an on-air personality...no offence intended for the woman currently doing it but she is obviously not well versed in public speaking.
Last year's emcee Chris Palliser was at the game, interestingly enough, presumably as a fan; saw a shot of him on the video board at one point.

I'm not sure they even need a full-on on-field emcee what with the dropping of the two busiest promotions in the Telus Optik Ball Challenge and the other one with throwing the footballs through the small hole without anything else to replace them. They still had the 50/50 draw as always, the Tim Hortons coffee cup challenge and what appeared to be a repackaged version of last year's "If I wasn't a football player" with Jason Arakgi and Ryan Phillips on video.

I didn't miss the countless exhortations to "M-M-M-Make some nooiiiiisssse!!!!" and I hope it continues this way. The crowd usually knows when to get loud and can do so organically without being told to.

Also I hate to pick on a young kid but the anthem singer was a little too freestyle in places. Just putting the wrong cadence and tempo on too many of the words; makes it tough to sing along with, as many fans like to do.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

A lot of warts on this apple. But I am going to savour this one and focus on the positives. Yes, I stayed to the end (I never leave early) although the last Rider TD sucked the life out of me - and many others (who actually did leave). Where I normally jumped out of my seat after a Lions touchdown, I merely clapped when Collie tip-toed down the sideline to score. I still thought victory was beyond our grasp. Then with the next stop, the building came alive. And in OT the place was nuts!

* That was one HELL of an effort by the O-line tonight. Travis had so much time to go through his progressions and find receivers. I can't recall the last time a Leos offensive line pitched a no-hitter. Very encouraged by what I see here.
* Leone validated what we saw from him at training camp - a guy that can give us points from mid-field. Sure, there are going to be some 'makeable' misses along the way, but with monster punts, lively kick-offs, and the occasional 50+ yard field goal - this is a big special teams improvement from last year.
* The heart and leadership from Lulay, Harris, Bighill, Sollie, and Manny should rub off on all the young guys and carry this group forward despite our talent deficiencies in certain areas.

:thup: :thup: :thup: One of the most exciting finishes to a Lions' game that I've ever witnessed. Kudos to the team.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Upper Bowl
Starter

Who would have thought the defence would be a bigger concern at this point of the season than the offence?! Certainly not me!

I'm just so happy for Travis, after everything he's been through. That was one of his best games as a pro. I thought he locked onto Arceneaux too much in Ottawa, but last night he spread the ball around nicely, with Gore even getting into the act! That bodes well for the team when Taylor returns to the starting line-up. And kudos to the O line for a pleasantly surprising performance.

We should all be glad the Riders didn't really commit to running the ball until the second half. I'm sure they'll come out of the gates handing it off next week. I'm not sure the Lions will be able to shore up that line before then. Although I was pleased with the way the DBs tightened up on Dressler as the game went on. He's one of the best players in the league, so he's going to make his plays, but B.C. was making it far too easy for him in the first half. There are really no other superlatives left for Sol and Biggy, but it seems Hoffman-Ellis might actually be capable of making that dynamic linebacking duo into a terrific trio.

I wasn't the least bit surprised Leone missed the convert but came back to nail the massive field goal. He's a power kicker who's still trying to find the right amount of touch on some of his shorter kicks. I'm surprised some media outlets are still saying the game-tying kick was a 55-yard FG, when in fact it was a team-record 56-yarder. Meanwhile, seeing Leone's sky-high punts in person is truly an awe-inspiring experience.

I don't want to excuse the lack of discipline, but that was one of the most flag-happy officiating crews I've ever seen. I know the league office is telling them to call something if they see it, but I still believe in the concept of "letting the players play." That didn't happen last night. And as Rammer mentioned, the zebras missed a blatant horse collar on Gore's big catch in OT, and the OT PI on the Lions was ticky-tack. Not to mention the objectionable conduct call on Manny for his harmless little ball flip after making that catch on the first drive of the game.

Tedford has already surpassed Benevides in one key area: Coach's challenges! He's three-for-three so far this season.

I know Vancouver fans are fickle, but I can't believe how many left early. The Lions were down by 11 points, not 30!! But I'm proud of the noise created by those of us who stayed (maybe 12,000-14,000 of us??) It was LOUD at the end!!

Five or ten years from now, we won't remember the anemic red zone offence or the rash of penalties or the defensive lapses, we'll remember this game for one of the most thrilling finishes at B.C. Place in team history. And for that, I'm thankful.
Last edited by Upper Bowl on Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
QB Club 63
All Star

This one dragged us through the full range of emotions but I liked the ending best of all! And I was laughing out loud at all those Canucks fans who left the building early. I guess some of them got to watch the exciting finish on that HUGE screen beside Terry Fox Plaza, though.

I listen to the play-by-play on the radio but often wonder why they bother having Marjanovich on the sidelines? Granted, I turn the volume right down during the commercials so I might have missed a few seconds of his babbling, but I never heard a peep about Jason Arakgi's first-quarter hamstring injury from this guy who is supposed to have his finger on the pulse at the Lions bench. Instead he's more worried about what snacks the guys in the booth have to munch on. I could provide more effective injury reports from my seat in section 210!

However, I will give him kudos for his mention that both Bill Reichelt and Ken Kasuya will be getting their names added to the Ring of Honour this season. "Billy Bandaid" is in his 38th season with the Lions, and "Kato" has been with the club for 34 years, having started at age 13 as a ball boy. He became Assistant Equipment Manager in 1984 then took over as Equipment Manager in 1994.

IMO, Offensive PotG = Andrew Harris, for putting the team's fate on his back and carrying the mail in the 4th quarter. Weird to think Wally wanted to make a defensive back out of him! Defensive PotG = Biggie! I guess the greenies were keying on SolE the MOP so Adam Bighill just went out there and showed the boys how it's done. Special Teams PotG = Jonathon Jennings for doing such a fine job of pinning the ball ("laces out!!!") I'M KIDDING!!! :tease: Of course it's Richie ("Don't call me Sergio", as Don Taylor might say) Leone.
aklawitter
All Star

I listened on the radio and I heard Moj mention Arakgi's injury and that he was done for the night.
Rodu
Champion

did Johnson's penalties get him benched?

I'm not overly impressed with Morah. His blocking seems to be rather suspect, and he's not physical. At all
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Been a long time since I have experienced that range of emotions at BC Place. From excitement, to frustration, to disappointment to utter elation. What a night!

Thinking back, last night reminded of the start of the Wally era (2003-04) or even Flutie's magical season (1991) where this team had some serious flaws (especially on defence) that required huge nights offensively in order to win and be competitive. Like those teams did, that brand of football will bring fans back and spike interest in the team although the zebra show and the undiscipline play has to be cleaned up in a hurry.

Major kudos to Travis (so good to have an elite No. 1 QB running the show again), the offensive line (superb game) and Leone whose leg strength has been something I have been waiting to see for a long, long time.

And agree sj roc. I actually liked the more low key approach for the game host and didn't miss at all be constantly reminded to make some noise. All 15,000 of us certainly didn't need any help in the end. What a finish!
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Rodu wrote:did Johnson's penalties get him benched?

I'm not overly impressed with Morah. His blocking seems to be rather suspect, and he's not physical. At all
Speaking of Morrah, is there not a penalty out there for going low on a tackle the way it was done to him just before the end of regulation? I thought that was an abominable hit, dangerous and it did cause and injury. Agree as well that the Officials (both of them standing 10 feet away) missed an obvious horse collar tackle on Gore.
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Big Time
Champion

I'll have more to say about this later but I want to add a couple of things.

I hope Paul McCallum was watching because that kick by Leone was the reason he's out of a job here. We wouldn't have even considered that kick last year. Hell we could have been 15 yards closer and the Lions STILL probably wouldn't have tried that with PM. If Leone can hit consistently from 45+, it will add an element to the Lions offence that they have not had in a very long time.

Defensive scheme was atrocious all game long. Very little pressure. Very little situational awareness. Not pleased about this AT ALL.

Penalties. Lots has been said about the lack of discipline which is true, especially on 2nd and long. But I will qualify it with this....

The refs were absolutely brutal tonight. At least three of the drive extending calls were absolute BS. You couldn't breathe on Glenn without a roughing the passer call. The call in OT after the Lions stopped the riders was nonsense. I was absolutely infuriated by a half dozen calls that were totally phantom penalties. People can be mad at the lack of discipline but I will cut the Lions some slack tonight because as usual, half those calls shouldn't have been made. CFL officiating has always been terrible and tonight was a a prime example.
Dusty
Champion

What an ending!! For us fans, it was as much elation as I've felt for a long time.... maybe since Lou's foot won the Grey Cup...... and the noise.... it felt like the upper bowl was full...the 56 yard FG..... I knew he had the range, I was worried about the accuracy but he nailed it big time.... and then the OT win..... WOW!

I thought the Play of the Game was Tedford's throw of the challenge flag for the PI in the end zone.... not that he threw it, but the way he threw it in the direction of the official. To my eyes.... this was a coach that was pissed off at the non-call (and resulting penalty for Collie's PI hand gesture) and Tedford did not just drop the flag, he threw it. I saw more leadership in that play from our HC than I've seen for more than a few years. No talk, no shouting, no hand gestures.... just action... just leadership.
pennw
Legend

I have to agree with the above posts on the horrible reffing . The non pass interference call where the refs were more concerned about their own pride in calling a objectionable conduct rather than getting the correct call only high lighted this and contributed to the disrespect they get . All the ref apologists can say what they want , but that was just unacceptable and only puts fans off . This was addresses by Climie and Stegal at the half as they took the Rider Homer , Glenn Suiter to task for supporting that bs . Suitor who in turn later in the game came back with a very low class rebuttal , showing why he should not be allowed to commentate Rider games for TV as his bias never fails to come through .
That blatantly ignored horse caller tackle only high lighted it more .
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Dusty wrote:I thought the Play of the Game was Tedford's throw of the challenge flag for the PI in the end zone.... not that he threw it, but the way he threw it in the direction of the official. To my eyes.... this was a coach that was pissed off at the non-call (and resulting penalty for Collie's PI hand gesture) and Tedford did not just drop the flag, he threw it. I saw more leadership in that play from our HC than I've seen for more than a few years. No talk, no shouting, no hand gestures.... just action... just leadership.
I was pretty cheesed that they didn't erase the OC call that was tacked on after complaining about the non-call, considering the complaint held up on review. If that penalty flag had been thrown for any other foul, like say, an illegal participation for going OOB and coming back onto the field or something like that, I could have shrugged it off as incidental to the play but what with the review upholding the complaint, logically it should have been rescinded. SMH. How can you get flagged for complaining about something when the complaint is proven to be justified?

But I suppose that's how the rules work in that situation, probably because the league doesn't want officials getting shown up. Well if they don't want to get shown up they'd better get their act together, especially in any game where Tedford is coaching. I'm sure there are some officials in that crew who will not grade out very well. I didn't recognise the referee or his name when it was flashed on the videoboard; is this his first year?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.